why is it ALWAYS such a headache to upgrade this software???

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
Holger

Re: why is it ALWAYS such a headache to upgrade this software???

Post by Holger »

+1
koraldon

Post by koraldon »

Holger wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:53 pm
koraldon wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:03 amYou really thnk there are more active communites on phpbb than xenforo/VB or Facebook?
Ok, I can see the problem this topic is based on ...
I know of at least three dead forums due to community migrating to facebook, never mind that a lot of communities are only-facebook based. You can choose to ignore facebook, but many of the internet users use facebook groups as a community (be it for cars, gadgets, sci-fi and whatever).
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Holger wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:51 pm+1
+2
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Holger

Post by Holger »

I refuse to define Faceplant groups as communities.
They are not freely accessible, you have to be a member of Facebook - which most people in the world will never become. And the content cannot be found on Google (for example).
And to be honest, the crap posted on Faceplant and the policies (free speech my ass, it is the source for unreliable news and hate, and directed/filtered news) disqualifies the site per se.

But as always, nobody will talk about FB in 5-7 years. My forum will most probably still be there.
That is the nature of forums, and FB-groups will never be able to compete with forums in the long run. The FB-groups either implode or explode at some point.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Fakebook is very useful with friends all over the world (the only reason I have an FB account) but it seems to be used mostly to pretend that where the accountowner's at this or that time is crucial information, and that the number of "friends" one has defines one's importance.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm »

Volksdevil wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:16 pm Of course I don't, but that is the only real difference the man in the street will see. Man in the street sees near zero difference when looking at a 3.1 or 3.2 board...And yet I've got all this damn hassle.

So PHP7 support then...and a load of other techy jargon that I'm not really interested in when just wanting to run a community. HTML and CSS...fine, anything else, I don't want to have to delve into.

The auto update has always been essential for me, but it fails at the first hurdle (Which I've reported with no response :roll: ) Easy to fix an incorrect link in the package surely!? Plus it's obviously going to be phased out anyway.

And then the instructions are confusing as hell from thereon in.
'Delete files' where it used to say 'These files will be deleted', then you have members on this board being snarkily asked, why did you delete files? Then there's all the broken pages, errors, extensions etc. Just way too many to list.
Just out of interest are your edits all style related or more in depth?
noth

Post by noth »

but going back to the topic

why is it ALWAYS such a headache to upgrade this software??? well it is, until you got past it

always the same and the difference with phpBB, is the unrelenting faithful support that you will get

Yes the automatic update is now a disappointment, I have been a big fan of that for 5 years I think

but as pointed out by Lumpy Burgertushie in post 3 of this topic there IS STILL a simple way to update

after the Automatic update didn't pan out for me, I looked at what leading members of this community were saying and Lumpy Burgertushie is one of those who loves to help us. I gave up on the automatic update and switched to what Lumpy was saying, have a read of his post (post 3 of this thread) and pretty soon I was updated

so I'm now thinking that's the way forward next time, LUMPY!! GOOD MAN :D
Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil »

sakm wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:42 pm
Volksdevil wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:16 pm Of course I don't, but that is the only real difference the man in the street will see. Man in the street sees near zero difference when looking at a 3.1 or 3.2 board...And yet I've got all this damn hassle.

So PHP7 support then...and a load of other techy jargon that I'm not really interested in when just wanting to run a community. HTML and CSS...fine, anything else, I don't want to have to delve into.

The auto update has always been essential for me, but it fails at the first hurdle (Which I've reported with no response :roll: ) Easy to fix an incorrect link in the package surely!? Plus it's obviously going to be phased out anyway.

And then the instructions are confusing as hell from thereon in.
'Delete files' where it used to say 'These files will be deleted', then you have members on this board being snarkily asked, why did you delete files? Then there's all the broken pages, errors, extensions etc. Just way too many to list.
Just out of interest are your edits all style related or more in depth?
Heavy CSS, HTML, Javascript and jQuery :)
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from :arrow: KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Twitch | My Volkswagen Corrado G60
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

in that case all you have to do to upgrade is replace all old files with new ones except for the config.php file.

then, update your custom style manually just like you would have to do anyway.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil »

Far too many edits for me to do that Robert...A lot of the edits are done in the template files. This was all done to prosilver btw. I've used additional add on styles before but with the number of changes between a standard prosilver I found it too time consuming to run two styles. Hence I just improved prosilver. Forgot to add in my above post that there are PHP file edits too.

Not to mention all of the additional pages I've built which run off of the database to create new pages etc. I'm closing the site down currently anyway as it's run its course I think.
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from :arrow: KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Twitch | My Volkswagen Corrado G60
sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm »

Using a child style you will have only the edited files in that style so you can easily see which ones need to be re edited

And using notepad++ you can compare new and old files very easily and make the edits rather easily

There will be lots of edits to styles between 3.1 and 3.2 but 3.2.x should probably be minor changes if any and you could just compare the previous and latest style and probably just make the edits to your style
NUCUTA

Post by NUCUTA »

I use a custom style sheet, and import my other css files through it while posting css edits on it to override the css rules posted in those imported files. so no need to compare changes.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”