Double notifications. A problem stopping them.

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Crusoeman

Double notifications. A problem stopping them.

Post by Crusoeman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:34 pm

I don't like to gripe in public but I am now at the stage of not knowing what else to.

In early December as I started to use this forum more I realised that I was getting double notifications. Exactly the same content and maybe a difference of 1 second in the time sent. The obvious thing to do was to reply to the email address from where the notification had come, i.e. phpbb-ops@phpbb.com If that was wrong then nothing within the notification indicates otherwise. Regretfully the double notifications continued to arrive.

I should add that I have noticed that when on the forum and checking what notifications I have they are doubled up there too.

In early January I decided that perhaps a different approach was needed so I used the 'Contact us' facility of the forum. Regretfully I didn't get a reply from that either and the double notifications continue to arrive. I am now at a loss to know what else to do. I am disappointed that the phpBB forum of all forums is not able to respond to my messages sent.

If anyone in authority on the forum is reading this perhaps they can do something about it? If this is best discussed further by PM then I'm more than happy to do it that way. Many thanks.

I'm a great fan of phpBB so it's particularly frustrating that this problem has rumbled on.

Tim

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Re: Double notifications. A problem stopping them.

Post by DavidIQ » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:26 pm

Hello,

If you are experiencing issues with our site then you can either report it in the stickied phpBB.com Website Feedback topic that is in this very forum or report it to the Website Tracker. The phpbb-ops@phpbb.com account is not monitored regularly and gets a ton of spam so messages are easily lost. I don't think there is a message on email correspondence that comes from that account that invites users to respond there if they have any questions.

Regarding your double notifications issue: you'll need to check your notification settings and disable what you don't need. If you, for instance, have subscribed to one of our forums and are also subscribed to a topic within that forum then it is normal to receive two notifications. Receiving multiple notifications is a direct result of whatever settings you have and not something out of the ordinary we are doing on our end.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

Crusoeman

Post by Crusoeman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:52 pm

Sorry David, unless there is some obscure setting I have missed then I don't believe it is my fault that I am getting double notifications.

Plaese have a look at these two screen grabs and tell me where I have gone wrong.

Tim

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:57 pm

Neither one of those shows the notification settings, but I think you'll probably find that it "looks" ok so you may need to reset your notifications. Please go to UCP -> Board Preferences -> Edit notification options, click "Unmark all" then submit. Then check the notification types you want to receive and submit again.

Crusoeman

Post by Crusoeman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:56 am

I've now done that. Cleared all the ticks. Hit the Submit. Re-ticked as appropriate. Hit Submit again. I'll now see what happens with new notifications.

Tim

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:58 am

Hopefully should work. See what happens now.

Crusoeman

Post by Crusoeman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:13 pm

David, I have just been notified of your reply..........twice!

These are the settings I now have.

Incidentally each after using the Submit button I did get notification that my preferences had been updated.

Tim

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:53 pm

So there's a bug that caused this and it apparently can't be fixed by updating the notification settings in the UCP. I've gone ahead and cleaned up your specific notifications in the database to de-duplicate the notifications. You should be good now I think.

Crusoeman

Post by Crusoeman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:54 pm

So after all it wasn't me but a bug. That's a relief!

Many thanks David for sorting it out.

Tim

Return to “phpBB Discussion”