3.2 update method

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
sp3ctre

3.2 update method

Post by sp3ctre »

Hi,

The release notes for 3.2 say there is a new method of updating (within 3.2, not 3.1-3.2). I can't seem to find any information about how it works and how it is different to what we had in 3.1. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: 3.2 update method

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

can you link to that information please.

the best way to update is to replace all old files with new ones except for the config.php file and then in your browser access the install folder and click the update button and then click update database only.

done.

that has basically been the best way to update since phpbb 3.1

if , for some reason, you have edited your core files then this method would require you to re edit them after each update. therefore, the old automatic update method is still available and will solve that problem.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
sp3ctre

Post by sp3ctre »

Here you go... it refers to a brand new update method:

https://www.phpbb.com/about/launch/

I've never had a problem updating, just interested to hear what this new method is like and how it is different to 3.1
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

To update the database you used to have to navigate to the database_update.php file.
Now you just go to /install and follow directions.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
sp3ctre

Post by sp3ctre »

Through 3.1 all I have ever done is go to install and follow the instructions... so not too different then?
Lumpy Burgertushie

no, because in 3.1 you had to manually put the correct url in your browser to get to the database_update.php file.
yourdomain.com/yourphpbb/install/database_update.php

in 3.2 you simply go to: yourdomain.com/yourphpbb/install

once there, you click on the update tab. from there you click on the update button and the choose update database only ( if you have done the required file replacement already ).

robert

sp3ctre

Post by sp3ctre »

No you didn't, you browsed to /install, then clicked update and it did the update and then the rest of the upgrade followed.
Lumpy Burgertushie

ah, I see the confusion. if you use the autoupdate method then the install page has a tab called "update" if you are replacing old files with new, then it does not have that tab at all.

since 3.1 came out when it was no longer necessary to use the autoupdate because of extensions versus MODs, I have not used that method of updating.

so, we are both correct.

robert

sp3ctre

Post by sp3ctre »

Yup, seems like we're on the same page. So it's not really changed much in 3.2 then... which is ok as the two methods worked fine in 3.1.

Be nice to have a 1 click update from the ACP though, but that's a different (and more complex) discussion :)
P_I

Post by P_I »

sp3ctre wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:54 am
Be nice to have a 1 click update from the ACP though, but that's a different (and more complex) discussion :)
Which is already happening in Area51, see Do We Still Need Auto Update? - Development Discussion Board
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Return to “phpBB Discussion”