Where Phpbb screwed up when they came out with the extension vesion

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
AmigoJack

Re: Where Phpbb screwed up when they came out with the extension vesion

Post by AmigoJack » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:05 pm

sakm wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:41 pm
but if there was say an area where developers could work together and help each other you could say have 10 developers working together on one project.
World peace has the same concept. Do you know why it still hasn't happened?
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:13 pm

Because there is too much negativity in the world just like this place...

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:27 pm

no, because human nature is not all puppies and flowers. wouldn't life be boring if it was.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:31 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:27 pm
no, because human nature is not all puppies and flowers. wouldn't life be boring if it was.

robert
And what has that got to do with everyone coming together to work on projects?

If developers can't be adults and work together there is something wrong!

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:38 pm

That may sound like a good idea but in practice it does not work. Doesn't work all that well in a paid environment and even less in a non-paid environment. I know you mean well but you should not be trying to escalate this to being just some sort of negative response to the idea instead of it being feedback from people that have been developers for decades telling you it doesn't work in practice. 😊
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

Methen

Post by Methen » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:45 pm

I think a huge part of the problem is something I notice years ago when trying to find people to role play with and that is a A great many people have extremely very poor and I do mean poor focusing skills, Most people now days are into all this multitask crap, What a lot of people do not realize being able to focus and being able to multitask are two entirely different things, The same can be said for people working on mods and extensions first they start a project then tend to finish it over the week end, one thing leads to another and the next thing you know you have a mod that sits around for years, if these people put as much attention on to mods and extension development as they did their sports and ball games or what have you. we probably have ten times as many extensions as we do now...
Somebody is asking for a Hinne Whooping!!!

imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Post by imkingdavid » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:54 am

phpBB provides the base software, including 2 styles, and a small number of official extensions. Aside from that, any and all other MODs, extensions, styles, etc. are made by unaffiliated, 3rd parties. That code does not belong to the phpBB team, nor is it their responsibility to keep track of and maintain it. Even styles and extensions that are reviewed and tested by the respective teams is only reviewed and tested for 1:1 version compatability. That is to say, an extension that releases its version 1.0.0 has that version tested against the latest version of phpBB at the time of that release. The phpBB teams are not responsible for making sure those extensions remain compatible with future versions of phpBB, nor that future versions of the extension are compatible with past versions of phpBB.

Unfortunately, aside from those who do freelance extension and style development, everyone working with phpBB is a volunteer, including 3rd party contributors. This means that it is entirely up to the contributor whether they want to continue to support any given contribution that they have made. That has the side effect of many extensions and styles falling by the wayside when the original author loses interest or no longer has the time or energy to devote to maintaining the contribution.

Sure, it would be great if there was a group of people working concurrently to keep various styles and extensions working with phpBB, but that presents many, many challenges (namely, who then owns the code and the direction for the code?), and is also rather infeasible. This isn't even done for other open source projects, such as WordPress and Drupal, whose communities frankly dwarf the phpBB development community.

One of phpBB's core principals, at least one that was such when I was a team member, was to keep the core codebase relatively lightweight and easily extensible. Perhaps a shortcoming of that philosophy is that 3rd party contributions are always going to end up falling behind the core product for various reasons. That being said, it is also a strength of the project, because people aren't limited to what the phpBB dev team is able to fit into a release. Nearly anything someone can think of can be done with some patience and thought.

And in the end, if an extension isn't compatible with the latest version of phpBB or still hasn't been ported over from its MOD predecessor, then maybe it isn't time to update yet. No one is forcing you to update, so unless there are specific bug fixes or security patches that you need (and particularly ones that can't be backported) then there is likely no reason to jump the gun and upgrade right away. It is likely that extensions will be updated eventually, either by the original author or another member who has benefited from the extension and wants to keep it alive.
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Methen

Post by Methen » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:08 pm

Well the way I see it, if someone creates a mod for a open source script then that mod should automatically be consider open source also, But that is just how I see it, it would seem very simple to create a license for just that purpose, As far as mods faring behind with phpbb and writers just no longer interested in developing or what have you, Then it seems to me that phpbb simply needs to add more features in the core, This way they do not have to depend on 3rd partys to create them, I think that is major part of the the problem, Phpbb is sadly lacking in some basic features such as a calendar and the ability to create links like the button mod does, in that department phpbb is sadly falling behind with other forums cause the majority of most people are going to go with the script that offers the most features even if they have to pay for it.
Somebody is asking for a Hinne Whooping!!!

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:26 pm

Methen wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:08 pm
phpbb is sadly falling behind with other forums cause the majority of most people are going to go with the script that offers the most features even if they have to pay for it.
Funny you should mention that. As an extension author and having written quite a few extensions which took quite a bit of time, it is surprising to me that users seem they are entitled to use them for free with no regard to the amount of time it took the author to write it.

I have a question for you. Have you ever donated to any extension author on here? If not, there goes the "most features even if they have to pay for it" thing. I, for one, know you haven't donated one iota to me. I wonder if you're using any of my extensions?

No one likes to do something for someone else without some sort of recompense. I do it because I enjoy it, I don't do it because a user wants this or that. They can contact me for coding this or that but there will be charge for it and most, if not all, simply balk at paying for that service stating things such as "I can't afford that", "I'm a poor college student", etc.

You can either pay someone to code what it is you need or you can do what I did 10 years ago and spend time in learning how to do it yourself.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:34 pm

as you said: "the way I see it". all of this is just your opinion.
the facts are that all MODs/extensions are already open source. they have to be according to the GPL license of phpbb.

the whole point of phpbb from the beginning was to be just the basics of a bulletin board. anything you want other than a basic bulletin board is where the MODs/extensions come in. each user can add whatever they want to the program. the MODs/extensions are provided from other users out of the goodness of their hears, not because they have to. You can't even expect major software companies to support old versions of their software forever, that is not logical. phpbb does not support the older versions of the main software past a certain point. the authors of MODs/extensions do whatever they want, they are under no obligation to support their efforts all if they do not wish to.

I guess the bottom line is that if anyone does not like the way phpbb runs its business they always can go pay for something like vb or ipb or xenforo and get all those extras that have nothing to do with a bulletin board thrown in as standard. nothing wrong with that if that is what you want.

a bulletin board requires is a way to post topics and make replies which creates a discussion. phpbb has way more than that but is still pretty much a basic bulletin board software. you don't need a calendar etc. to have a discussion.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

DavidIQ
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:39 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:34 pm
as you said: "the way I see it". all of this is just your opinion.
the facts are that all MODs/extensions are already open source. they have to be according to the GPL license of phpbb.
To add to this since quite a few years ago, beginning with MODs, we made it easier for anyone to pick up an abandoned Extension by having an Abandoned Extensions forum. Literally anyone can grab an extension from there and continue working on it.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”