Using developers from Fiverr...Good idea or too risky?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
darkvue
Name: Hershel Gau

Using developers from Fiverr...Good idea or too risky?

Post by darkvue » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:32 pm

Has anyone ever hired anyone from Fiverr? I am looking into a couple of the users to help me with my issues but seeing how I don't trust much of anyone I am growing worried about giving up the passwords. Is Fiverr a fairly safe place if you choose high rated developers? I am just scared and figured I'd ask here

Christian 2.0
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Re: Using developers from Fiverr...Good idea or too risky?

Post by Christian 2.0 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:18 pm

I work in online operations and have heard many bad things about Fiverr.

Your best option I reckon, depending on the work you need doing, is seeking out established Authors or support volunteers here, and seeing if any offer development services in their signature.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:33 am

FAR too risky IMHO

If you post your issue in the relevant topic someone may be able to help you through it without it costing you a penny (or cent)

profKroy

Post by profKroy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:13 pm

I'm wary of some of these sites too. As fas I can tell it's really hard to determine the level of skill someone has.

Can someone PM me a list of some phpbb extension developers on the board or point me to a thread?
I haven't had much luck finding adverts in signatures. Thank you.
Are you a skilled extension developer? I need an extension developed right now. Here are the general specs. Please PM me if interested.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:25 pm

You should start by clicking The Team and check out each individual team members signatures, there are plenty there.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

Piscator

Post by Piscator » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:34 am

A lot of the graphics work is plagiarized and not even very good. I wouldnt trust any of them to code.

an old work colleague got in touch with me last year after dealing with one of these guys for a simple 3 page website, nothing fancy no scripts or databases or any of that kinda magic, just your bog standard html + css. He was given the files and told to just simply upload it to his hosting.

turns out it was a wix website the guy on fivr made, then tried to rip the code from wix and send it to my old work mate. there was a lot of broken links and things still pointing to wix. it was a god aweful mess. almost child like.

never has the old saying "you get what you pay for" been so true.

Affltr

Post by Affltr » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:38 am

I've been using fiverr for translations, proofreads, texts, logos and phpBB help. No problems so far expect phpBB help as they didn't answer my questions after first gig. I also tried SEO service but my site was not optimized for it so it didn't work. I will use another seo service later with over 1k positive feedback (98%). Its very important to find a seller with positive feedback. You can make temporary password for them. I prefer fiverr.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”