Using developers from Fiverr...Good idea or too risky?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
darkvue
Name: Hershel Gau

Using developers from Fiverr...Good idea or too risky?

Post by darkvue » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:32 pm

Has anyone ever hired anyone from Fiverr? I am looking into a couple of the users to help me with my issues but seeing how I don't trust much of anyone I am growing worried about giving up the passwords. Is Fiverr a fairly safe place if you choose high rated developers? I am just scared and figured I'd ask here

Christian 2.0
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Re: Using developers from Fiverr...Good idea or too risky?

Post by Christian 2.0 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:18 pm

I work in online operations and have heard many bad things about Fiverr.

Your best option I reckon, depending on the work you need doing, is seeking out established Authors or support volunteers here, and seeing if any offer development services in their signature.
🚀 Premium phpBB Styles
Premium 3.2 Styles: Modern phpBB Style, NEW - Volare Material phpBB Style
Premium 3.2 Extensions: phpBB sidebar Extension
Custom work available on request

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:33 am

FAR too risky IMHO

If you post your issue in the relevant topic someone may be able to help you through it without it costing you a penny (or cent)

profKroy

Post by profKroy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:13 pm

I'm wary of some of these sites too. As fas I can tell it's really hard to determine the level of skill someone has.

Can someone PM me a list of some phpbb extension developers on the board or point me to a thread?
I haven't had much luck finding adverts in signatures. Thank you.
Are you a skilled extension developer? I need an extension developed right now. Here are the general specs. Please PM me if interested.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:25 pm

You should start by clicking The Team and check out each individual team members signatures, there are plenty there.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.
Forza Garibaldi

Piscator

Post by Piscator » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:34 am

A lot of the graphics work is plagiarized and not even very good. I wouldnt trust any of them to code.

an old work colleague got in touch with me last year after dealing with one of these guys for a simple 3 page website, nothing fancy no scripts or databases or any of that kinda magic, just your bog standard html + css. He was given the files and told to just simply upload it to his hosting.

turns out it was a wix website the guy on fivr made, then tried to rip the code from wix and send it to my old work mate. there was a lot of broken links and things still pointing to wix. it was a god aweful mess. almost child like.

never has the old saying "you get what you pay for" been so true.

Affltr

Post by Affltr » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:38 am

I've been using fiverr for translations, proofreads, texts, logos and phpBB help. No problems so far expect phpBB help as they didn't answer my questions after first gig. I also tried SEO service but my site was not optimized for it so it didn't work. I will use another seo service later with over 1k positive feedback (98%). Its very important to find a seller with positive feedback. You can make temporary password for them. I prefer fiverr.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”