Safety Using PHPBB Database Outside of PHPBB

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
aster59

Safety Using PHPBB Database Outside of PHPBB

Post by aster59 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:37 pm

Hi everyone! I spent a lot of time today looking at PhpBB and trying to integrate it into my wordpress site. I have concluded it is hopelessly not working, so instead of using PHPBBs systems or migrating, I am going to just make my own login/authenticate system with PHP and connect to the PHPBB database without the abstraction layer/user classes and such. Integration is a vague word, but all I really want is for users to be able to login with PHPBB on the WP side of the site, not wordpresses login or whatever, see some info about their profile such as username in the top right corner, and for me to access certain parts of their profile.

Has anyone successfully done this? How safe can I make it? I plan on reading a lot, but just wanted to throw it out here.

Ger
Recognised Extension Developer

Re: Safety Using PHPBB Database Outside of PHPBB

Post by Ger » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:01 am

First things first: do you already have an existing Wordpress site, or do you want some external pages or articles alongside your forum, as a whole new situation? In the first case I'm not really sure how to help you, but if it's something new you might want to take a look at the Pages extension or my cmBB extension, depending on what it is you want exactly.

Both extensions let you create content alongside your board.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:
-Available for custom work-

aster59

Re: Safety Using PHPBB Database Outside of PHPBB

Post by aster59 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:14 am

It's an existing WP site with tons of pages, and my only need is to include the common.php file in the WP header functionally.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”