SEO friendly URL

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
abdu7maan

Re: SEO friendly URL

Post by abdu7maan »

KevC wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:16 pm There are already 80 google hits for your site so it's already being indexed perfectly well without the apparently essential SEO friendly links.
On what I adopted in bringing stats
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

It's a new site with a new software installation. The indexing will have started from zero.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

neil patel is a internet marketer trying to sell you his programs.
however, I just read those experiments the other day myself.
he says in those articles that the differences made by the seo urls was noticable but very small.
his main conclusion was why not do them all because every little bit helps.

that is not saying that seo urls makes a big difference.

my question, do you know "most fortune 500" companies IT staff?
point is that even if what you say is true about them, they are probably like most so called "SEO experts" and are still working on old information about SEO and dynamic websites like phpbb etc.

changing your board over to the friendly type urls is not going to make enough difference in SEO to be worth the hassles of doing it and keeping it all up to date with each phpbb update.
also, if you ever decide to switch it back you will lose all that search ranking etc. and have to start over.

for the benefit you gain I think it is much better to just stick with what already works just fine and concentrate on the things that reallyl do make a difference in search engine ranking. things like content and inbound/outbound links etc.

luck,
robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
socialmediascams

Post by socialmediascams »

Thank you all for your input here.

I think I will just pass on this extension and hope that it is developed soon as an official extension or as part of the platform itself - once that happens I will try again, but there's no way I am paying for extensions or installing all of the faulty ones - waste of time and money.

I am using a sitemap plugin which will display the forum title for a user to click on and when I share a link in say, WhatsApp, the forum title becomes visible in a preview, even if it's not in the URL.

I'm adjusting slowly to the phpbb universe here, it is no doubt much more stable than mybb ever was, but the availability of plugins for mybb is definitely more diverse and functional in my opinion and there are far more customisable features and settings in it - it's just a shame that mybb 2.0 was abandoned.

This is probably just religious thinking on my part and of no help to anyone, but I think my forum will be okay without seo friendly urls for now.

It's so strange that it's not available so easily when even Wordpress offers it.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Lumpy I would agree it's PITA to maintain without official support and it's something I always advise someone of.
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:35 pm also, if you ever decide to switch it back you will lose all that search ranking etc. and have to start over.
When you implement SEO url's one of the most important things it does is redirect from the old URL's to new ones. If you are going to abandon it you can reverse it. A few years back I upgraded a forum, removed a very old SEO mod and moved it to another domain on a new VPS all at once. It took some considerable planning and testing but when it was all said done it took about 1 hour at the end.

This is the pages crawled from Google for old domain, that enormous spike is when the redirect took effect.
2017-11-01 (2).png
2017-11-01 (2).png (6.22 KiB) Viewed 955 times
The new domain. same time frame:
2017-11-01 (3).png
2017-11-01 (3).png (5.73 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Last but not least referrals by Google. The old domain is left side, new domain right side.
2017-11-01.png
2017-11-01.png (9.15 KiB) Viewed 955 times
There was about week or two where things slowed but with proper redirection you can most certainly maintain page ranks.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “phpBB Discussion”