Facebook and phpBB, not a good match (yet)

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Luchtzak

Facebook and phpBB, not a good match (yet)

Post by Luchtzak »

When you add phpBB-content on Facebook, image(s) in that phpBB-topic is/are not displayed. Using the Facebook debugger will not help either. An image on social media is a must nowadays, as simple text is less attractive. Wordpress is more powerfull working with social media.

I ran a url through the facebook debugger:

Code: Select all

Sharing Debugger

Sharing DebuggerBatch InvalidatorAccess Token

http://www.mysite.be/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61120
Debug
caution-solidWarnings That Should Be Fixed
Admins And App ID Missing
fb:admins and fb:app_id tags are missing. These tags are necessary for Facebook to render a News Feed story that generates a high click-through rate.
Like Button Tag Missing
og:title is missing. The og:title meta tag is necessary for Facebook to render a News Feed story that generates a high click-through rate.
Like Button Tag Missing
og:type is missing. The og:type meta tag is necessary for Facebook to render a News Feed story that generates a high click-through rate.
Like Button Tag Missing
og:image is missing. The og:image meta tag is necessary for Facebook to render a News Feed story that generates a high click-through rate.
Inferred Property
The 'og:url' property should be explicitly provided, even if a value can be inferred from other tags.
Inferred Property
The 'og:title' property should be explicitly provided, even if a value can be inferred from other tags.
Inferred Property
The 'og:image' property should be explicitly provided, even if a value can be inferred from other tags.
Share App ID Missing
The 'fb:app_id' property should be explicitly provided, Specify the app ID so that stories shared to Facebook will be properly attributed to the app. Alternatively, app_id can be set in url when open the share dialog.
Inferred Property
The 'og:image' property should be explicitly provided, even if a value can be inferred from other tags.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Facebook and phpBB, not a good match (yet)

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

phpbb does not have the meta tags for that by default, just like it does not have anything else other than what a bulletin board needs to operate.
however, you can certainly add those tags to the overall_header.html file of whatever style(s) you are using. many others have been doing that and I think that it must be working well for them.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
BondGamer

Post by BondGamer »

You want the Social Sharing extension I think: viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2343081

I just installed it on my forum so that Google Matched Content will work better.
My phpBB3 Mods: - None active =[
JohnnyBigSpuds

Post by JohnnyBigSpuds »

BondGamer wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:47 am You want the Social Sharing extension I think: viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2343081

I just installed it on my forum so that Google Matched Content will work better.
I notice that the link you shared is for an abandoned ext
is it compatiable with phpbb 3.2.1 as it would be perfect for my needs.
and what version of phpbb are you using?
thanks
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

The person to whom you are addressing this has not logged in here in 8 months.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
JohnnyBigSpuds

Post by JohnnyBigSpuds »

damnit i didnt spot that, many thanks

Return to “phpBB Discussion”