Random Account Switching

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
smeddawg
Name: Trey

Random Account Switching

Post by smeddawg » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:03 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have an odd error I am seeing, and have received about 40 support tickets this morning, and I was wondering if anyone else has seen this.
Example of what is occurring.

1. I log in as User A, after login it takes my to the forum index under User B, where i can see and read user B's PMs, I click around the forums a bit, and it reverts me back to User A. Its totally random.
2. If I log out as either User A or User B, and log back in as User A, I can be presented again with user B, or sometimes User D.

If anyone has any idea how to stop this or can point me to a solution thread I would appreciate the help.
Last edited by bonelifer on Mon May 08, 2017 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This topic was moved from [3.2.x] Support Forum to here as it has escalated from a "phpBB" problem to a hosting problem topic.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Random Account Switching

Post by KevC » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:08 pm

This has come up a few times on here before and seems to be caused by the hosts server settings caching the sessions. This can happen if they've put cloudflare on your hosting account. Ask them what they've changed around the time it first started happening.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

smeddawg

Post by smeddawg » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:13 pm

Thanks Kev, I'll contact the Host and see what may have changed. If I find out any details, I'll post it back up in this thread.

smeddawg

Post by smeddawg » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:24 pm

Ok, My host has Cloudflare available for install, however it has not been enabled for my site.

Calman

Post by Calman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:34 pm

Glad to have found this topic this morning, as EVERYTHING!!! went nuts last night and I received many angry emails from clients. Basically, any website where a phpBB forum is part of the environment, the issue mentioned on this topic is clearly happening, where you log out and it randomly logs you in as another account. What is disturbing, is checking client forums (other than our own) and I appear to be logged in as one of their members (until hitting index.php).

What is really strange, is that header graphics and website backdrops are affected as well, again, only on websites where phpBB forums are present. To make things even more confusing, "some" issues are resolved by using Chrome or Firefox, against IE 11 or Edge.

Not a good night for me last night and still no fix after talking with my host company, who of course, focus on a local issue (clear your cache bla bla bla).

All the best,
Cal :)
Visiting, Researching or Relocating to the Okanagan Valley in BC?
http://www.okanaganforum.com

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:36 pm

That stuff doesn't happen on its own though. They've done something. You need to get them to tell you what it is.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

smeddawg

Post by smeddawg » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:42 pm

I'm waiting for the live chat to begin, I'll pester my host and see what may have changed. I found out the Cloudflare info just looking at the command center from the host.

Calman

Post by Calman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:46 pm

This could turn out to be a VERY informative topic ... as we all bang down the down of our host companies!!

Keep us posted, as we all share our findings.

All the best,

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:28 pm

Check the Who's Online page. Does everyone have the same IP? If so, the host has implemented some kind of proxy or some "feature" of Cloudflare.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Calman

Post by Calman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:42 pm

smeddawg wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:42 pm
I'm waiting for the live chat to begin, I'll pester my host and see what may have changed. I found out the Cloudflare info just looking at the command center from the host.
Anything positive in the resulting chat?

From my end, everything works "sort-of-ok" on the forum front, until you hit "board index" for the index.php part of the URL to show in the address bar (rather than simply www.path/forum/), then trying to log out, you are presented with the "You were not logged out, as the request did not match your session" quote and it randomly jumps to other account logins.

All the best,

smeddawg

Post by smeddawg » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:42 pm

According to the host, there have not been any changes, however, the host does do multi-tenant shared hosting, having them look at the proxy change as suggested, as I have the boards down at the moment. Any chance cloudflare could be enabled by another tenant, and it affect us? I'm still working with the host to determine root cause. If you guys think of any other avenues to hit my host up with post em up and I'll ask.

Calman

Post by Calman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:45 pm

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it!!

I will go into live chat with our host later on today (after dealing with a few chores), so if I learn anything new, I will share with everyone here.

Last night's "live chat" was about as useful as a chocolate teapot, so I hope I can land a rep that can look further into the matter, rather than hit me with the "idiot PC guide".

All the best,

smeddawg

Post by smeddawg » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:50 pm

Calman wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:45 pm
Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it!!

I will go into live chat with our host later on today (after dealing with a few chores), so if I learn anything new, I will share with everyone here.

Last night's "live chat" was about as useful as a chocolate teapot, so I hope I can land a rep that can look further into the matter, rather than hit me with the "idiot PC guide".

All the best,
Its about the same with this rep. So I threw out the "hard to believe this issue just dropped out of the sky, with our site not making any changes, and the host not making any changes...." I'm starting to get irritated.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:52 pm

At the end of it, you're paying for hosting which, presumably, the host supports? You should not have to come here for suggestions how to get them to set up their servers correctly. Ask for level two support if you don't get anything positive.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Calman

Post by Calman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:58 pm

Mick wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:52 pm
At the end of it, you're paying for hosting which, presumably, the host supports? You should not have to come here for suggestions how to get them to set up there servers correctly. Ask for level two support if you don't get anything positive.
I think we all fully appreciate that angle, but at the end of the day, there are a lot of educated people on here, so if it helps us gather facts to hit our hosting companies with, then surely it's a good thing for everyone involved?

All the best,

Return to “phpBB Discussion”