Adding An XMPP Server To Add Candy-Chat To phpBB

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
Selective

Adding An XMPP Server To Add Candy-Chat To phpBB

Post by Selective » Fri May 26, 2017 9:22 am

This is not a phpBB script, or extension, so I'm posting this topic in General Discussion.

So... I found the best chat to add to phpBB. I used it on other websites, and it is able to be changed in many ways to make it fit any website. It is also free, open source. The catch? It's confusing and complicated to install it and to get it to work. I actually have no idea what I'm doing, so I'm posting here to see if any of you web designers and script writers want to go on this adventure with me to try and figure out how to install it and to get it to work.

Personally, I'm running a cpanel website with multiple phpBB forums on mySQL, so this will be much more complicated for me, and if someone else can get theirs working first, then that will help me figure out what I need to do.

Here is the free chat to add to phpBB
https://candy-chat.github.io/candy/

The chat works as group chat and also private chat and even one on one chat. In chat rooms, you can use all emoji symbols. The chat pops out, so you can navigate your website while chatting. It also includes optional sound alerts for when you are not looking.

Using the chat:
For A New Chat Room, once you open the chat, and the lobby Chat Room appears, click on the plus + sign in the top right corner, and type in your new room name, and then click "OPEN".
For One On One Chat Rooms, hover over a users name in a chat room, and then select 'Private Chat' and you will then be able to talk with them privately one on one.
For Private Chat Rooms, once you open the chat, and the lobby Chat Room appears, click on the plus + sign in the top right corner, and type in your secret room name and make sure the little box is checked (the check box hides the room), and then click "OPEN".

If the room has not been created yet, it now will be and it will be hidden.

If the room already was created and was hidden, you will now go into it.
To turn on/off sound alerts, click on the gear symbol at the bottom right corner.
So for the installation. I've never seen such poorly written instructions. There's no list of requirements. There's no list of what needs to be added. No instruction of what to add to where. No list of what needs to be done and how or why.

Seems like the first step is to add an XMPP Server to my webhost.
https://github.com/candy-chat/candy/wik ... MPP-server
So I know I need to create a data base for it in mySQL, but it doesn't say how it works with users in other data bases, which I need to know because I am running multiple phpBB forums on my website and each forum has its own data base also.

So it also looks like we'll be using OpenFire, only all the instructions for OpenFire keep talking about instillation on a computer, and not a website. I don't want it on my computer. I want it on my website.

I'm just rambling here. Has anyone else tried this yet? Anyone get further than I have yet? I'm still tripping over all the poorly written instructions.
Last edited by JimA on Fri May 26, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from General Discussion to phpBB Discussion

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Re: Adding An XMPP Server To Add Candy-Chat To phpBB

Post by david63 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:01 am

The first, probably of many, problem is that unless you are running your own server, or have root access, then I doubt that you will be able to install the Openfire server - and even if you have root access I would doubt that on a shared hosting service that your hosts will allow it anyway.

Selective

Post by Selective » Fri May 26, 2017 10:42 am

david63 wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 10:01 am
The first, probably of many, problem is that unless you are running your own server, or have root access, then I doubt that you will be able to install the Openfire server - and even if you have root access I would doubt that on a shared hosting service that your hosts will allow it anyway.
Thanks for your reply. I do have root access, but I am on a shared server at the moment. I could upload it and try to install it, but I'm not sure what all needs to be uploaded yet, in what order, or where to put them, or what to do with them after they are added.

Though I'm not sure they mean 'server' when they say 'server', because I was under the impression a server was hardware, yet they say the XMPP can be installed simply by tossing some script around. So if it is just being added to a server, and it mentions it must have its own data base, then it sounds much more like software being added.

Also, would I need to create data bases for them or would I just use the phpBB data bases for them? That is another big question.

david63
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by david63 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:58 am

Selective wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 10:42 am
I was under the impression a server was hardware, yet they say the XMPP can be installed simply by tossing some script around.
A server can be either or both. A server as in hardware is basically just another computer - it is the software that is installed on it that turns it into a server that will actually do something.

I am by no means a server expert but trying to set up multiple servers in the same domain is by no means a simple task.

My suggestion would be to set the whole thing up on your local test environment before trying to do it on your live site.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email or as they will be ignored

Selective

Post by Selective » Fri May 26, 2017 12:35 pm

I found this https://www.quora.com/What-is-XMPP-and-how-does-it-work where a software engineer was asked 'What is XMPP and how does it work?', he replied 'XMPP is just a protocol, in simple terms it is a spoken language between a client and server for messaging and it is independent of implementation languages of client and server.'

So from his description of an XMPP sever, it is just a protocol, and is harmless. Adding it to a server should be safe, and shouldn't mess anything up. It will only act as a messenger for users, nothing more.

Selective

Post by Selective » Fri May 26, 2017 5:13 pm

I just asked this on the OpenFire support forum.
How Do I Install OpenFire To My Website?

I am running a website with multiple forums, and I want to give each forum their own chat. I found the chat script I want to use, but it requires XMPP and Openfire was recommended for it.

So looking at the Openfire installation instructions, it gives a Windows option, Linux option, and Mac option. Those three options are fine for a personal computer, but what about adding to a website? What do I upload to my webhost for my website?

Then I'm a little confused about data bases. I understand it needs one or has the embed one, but each forum on my website has its own data base as well, so how will Openfire work with each of those so they stay separate from each other, or do I need to add Openfire to each forum separately?
One of the support mods replied back...
Openfire is a server itself, you don't add it to a website. You need to run Openfire itself and then have your website based javascript clients connect to it over BOSH/httpbind
That is obviously wrong and makes no sense, but they don't let anyone reply to their comments, and they aren't helpful in their support chat. It appears that the chat itself can be used all over the world and anyone can sign into it from anywhere, but that isn't what I was asking about. I want it only for my forums, so only my forum members can use it when they are signed in to the forums. How can they not understand this and still act as providers for the candy-chat script?

david63
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by david63 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:13 pm

Openfire is a server, in the same way as Apache, that needs to be set up on your host - as I said before if you are on shared hosting I doubt that you will be able to do it. You could try asking your hosts - but I would not hold my breath.

Again though, as I said before, get this set up on your local test server where you can do whatever you want.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email or as they will be ignored

Return to “phpBB Discussion”