Image orientation in plupload, using EXIF

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
sp3ctre
Registered User
Posts: 284
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:06 am

Re: Image orientation in plupload, using EXIF

Post by sp3ctre » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:48 pm

Awesome... I hate altering core files though, so it'd be good if it can become an option in the core product.

User avatar
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 20343
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:49 am
Location: Cardiff

Re: Image orientation in plupload, using EXIF

Post by Mick » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:51 pm

sp3ctre wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:48 pm
it'd be good if it can become an option in the core product
You need to make a feature request at Area51 for that.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

sp3ctre
Registered User
Posts: 284
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:06 am

Re: Image orientation in plupload, using EXIF

Post by sp3ctre » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:41 pm

Had it running for a day on the main forum... feedback all good so far :)

GermanStar
Registered User
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:36 pm

Re: Image orientation in plupload, using EXIF

Post by GermanStar » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:05 pm

What phpBB version does this refer to? I have 3.0.11, and see no way to implement.

I went to a lot of time and trouble some years back to add some resize image code I found, and have been scared to death to upgrade since.

sp3ctre
Registered User
Posts: 284
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:06 am

Re: Image orientation in plupload, using EXIF

Post by sp3ctre » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:58 am

Latest version, 3.2>

GermanStar
Registered User
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:36 pm

Re: Image orientation in plupload, using EXIF

Post by GermanStar » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:30 am

Thanks. If phpBB ever joins the 21st century regarding image uploads, I'll be happy to upgrade, but I see it's still doing the antiquated thumbnail thing. Sigh...

I really do have issues with improperly oriented images upped from mobile devices.

fruttama
Registered User
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 8:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Image orientation in plupload, using EXIF

Post by fruttama » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:09 am

Sorry for reupping. I have been using this method with satisfaction for quite some time, but apparently, 3.2.2 broke it. As matter of fact, every picture gets uploaded to the forum, is shown as panorama, either if i use "preserve_headers: true" or "preserve_hearders: false". Of course, since last update i have been started to receive complaints from my users. Is there a way to solve this? Am I the only one getting this?
(please note: I have already applied the hotfix for 3.2.2 regarding pictures).

dtleahy
Registered User
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:47 pm

Re: Image orientation in plupload, using EXIF

Post by dtleahy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:20 pm

As far as I can tell, the issue of thumbnail images being rotated has not been "fixed" yet. I realize that some phpbb members/developers do not see this as a phpbb issue that needs fixin', but again I add my name to the chorus of phpbb board admins that don't care which piece (phpbb code, plupload code, ImageMagic code, extension code) is broken or who's fault it is - we just want a solution.

Telling 2000 forum members never to rotate their smart phones and tablets (and in some cases, digital cameras) is not the solution.

In most cases, a "forum" is no longer a "bulletin board" full of text. Modern forums are image-heavy, and server space is cheaper, so more forums are now allowing attached images. The cameras/phones/tablets produce huge files, needed for printing, but we sure don't want those giant files in our servers for monitor display (so the plupload "quality" attribute is critical.) Improperly rotated thumbnails from attachments are making phpbb look bad. None of the members know about the 3rd party libraries and code that is used along with phpbb - they simply see it as phpbb developers unable to solve the issue. It will appear as phpbb's flaw until solved.

There are some very good software developers here, both within the phpbb core team, and other developers adding extensions. I'm an old dinosaur programmer and a newbie at php, or I would dive in to the code. I'll bet someone here could fix the issue in an hour of programming. Maybe 3Di already is, but once the issue is resolved, it really should be in the phpbb core code, not in an extension.

sp3ctre
Registered User
Posts: 284
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:06 am

Re: Image orientation in plupload, using EXIF

Post by sp3ctre » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:30 pm

dtleahy wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:20 pm
As far as I can tell, the issue of thumbnail images being rotated has not been "fixed" yet. I realize that some phpbb members/developers do not see this as a phpbb issue that needs fixin', but again I add my name to the chorus of phpbb board admins that don't care which piece (phpbb code, plupload code, ImageMagic code, extension code) is broken or who's fault it is - we just want a solution.

Telling 2000 forum members never to rotate their smart phones and tablets (and in some cases, digital cameras) is not the solution.

In most cases, a "forum" is no longer a "bulletin board" full of text. Modern forums are image-heavy, and server space is cheaper, so more forums are now allowing attached images. The cameras/phones/tablets produce huge files, needed for printing, but we sure don't want those giant files in our servers for monitor display (so the plupload "quality" attribute is critical.) Improperly rotated thumbnails from attachments are making phpbb look bad. None of the members know about the 3rd party libraries and code that is used along with phpbb - they simply see it as phpbb developers unable to solve the issue. It will appear as phpbb's flaw until solved.

There are some very good software developers here, both within the phpbb core team, and other developers adding extensions. I'm an old dinosaur programmer and a newbie at php, or I would dive in to the code. I'll bet someone here could fix the issue in an hour of programming. Maybe 3Di already is, but once the issue is resolved, it really should be in the phpbb core code, not in an extension.
Amen!!!

User avatar
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Posts: 2808
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:52 am
Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Image orientation in plupload, using EXIF

Post by thecoalman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:16 am

fruttama wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:09 am
Sorry for reupping. I have been using this method with satisfaction for quite some time, but apparently, 3.2.2 broke it. As matter of fact, every picture gets uploaded to the forum, is shown as panorama, either if i use "preserve_headers: true" or "preserve_hearders: false". Of course, since last update i have been started to receive complaints from my users. Is there a way to solve this? Am I the only one getting this?
(please note: I have already applied the hotfix for 3.2.2 regarding pictures).
If you use version v2.3.6 of plupload it should work. phpBB ships with v2.3.3 I've been using v2.3.6 without any apparent issues and the edit in plupload.php still works.

Download v2.3.6 from here (AGPLv3): https://www.plupload.com/download/

Unzip and in the JS folder copy the plupload.full.min.js file to phpbb_root/assest/plupload/

User avatar
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 20343
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:49 am
Location: Cardiff

Re: Image orientation in plupload, using EXIF

Post by Mick » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:34 am

I realise theres an EXIF issue here but can i ask a question? When you pick up a nice shiny new digital SLR camera you naturally hold it landscape because thats where the holding on bits are. The world is in landscape so what possesses people using phones to constantly take portrait images of cars and mountains and houses? It makes no sense to me.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

User avatar
3Di
Registered User
Posts: 13097
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Milan (IT) Frankfurt (DE)
Name: Marco
Contact:

Re: Image orientation in plupload, using EXIF

Post by 3Di » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:56 pm

Who picks up a nice shiny new digital SLR camera nowadays?
People are used to Handy "smart" phones.
:game_die: The new Dice Roller extension for phpBB 3.2 is out! :game_die:

Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user

User avatar
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 20343
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:49 am
Location: Cardiff

Re: Image orientation in plupload, using EXIF

Post by Mick » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:58 pm

But seem to forget it can be turned 90º
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

User avatar
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Posts: 24784
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:44 pm
Location: The netherlands.
Name: Paul Sohier
Contact:

Re: Image orientation in plupload, using EXIF

Post by Paul » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:09 pm

Mick wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:34 am
I realise theres an EXIF issue here but can i ask a question? When you pick up a nice shiny new digital SLR camera you naturally hold it landscape because thats where the holding on bits are. The world is in landscape so what possesses people using phones to constantly take portrait images of cars and mountains and houses? It makes no sense to me.
A lot of photo's are made in portrait with DSLRs, there are even grips specific for making portrait photos. Ofcourse you need to know when you should use it, but saying everything made with a DSLR is landscape is simply wrong.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

User avatar
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 20343
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:49 am
Location: Cardiff

Re: Image orientation in plupload, using EXIF

Post by Mick » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:18 pm

I didn't say that, you can turn the camera through 360º if you wish of course. The norm seems to have changed from landscape to portrait. My point is it's a bad habit born out of technology in my opinion.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

Post Reply

Return to “phpBB Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: EA117, Nick225 and 42 guests