Question about stopping excessive spacing

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
BigBoosting

Question about stopping excessive spacing

Post by BigBoosting »

Hey all, I'm brand new to phpBB so please excuse me if this is a dumb question.
I'm wondering if there is a way to stop excessive pressing of the enter key in between text. For example:

I'm an annoying spammer

I'm an annoying spammer

And this continues over and over throughout the whole post with the goal being to make it as long as possible so others have a hard time reading/scrolling the thread. Is there a way to stop this or limit the amount of enters in between text?

Thanks,
Erica
Toxyy

Re: Question about stopping excessive spacing

Post by Toxyy »

Would it be possible to add, say, type 5 enter characters in their html format into the word censor and replace it with something else?
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Toxyy wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:05 pmtype 5 enter characters in their html format into the word censor
"enter characters" do not exist, you most supposely mean newlines and bytes for those vary. Additionally the word censor doesn't accept raw HTML either. However, doing this manually with an SQL query might work. But keep in mind that word censors affect almost everything, not only post texts.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Ger

Post by Ger »

Most simple solution would be to add a simple CSS rule:

Code: Select all

.post br + br + br + br {
	display: none;
}
This simply hides 4 sibling breaks within a post. It doesn't affect anything else besides post content.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Are these actual spam accounts or just normal people on the board having a 'game' of making the posts longer?

If it's the former, you're better off stopping the spam before it even happens.
If it's the latter, it's your board, make rules and enforce them. If people can't be sensible start putting them on moderation queues or ban them for a bit until they learn.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
BigBoosting

Post by BigBoosting »

Ger wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:52 am Most simple solution would be to add a simple CSS rule:

Code: Select all

.post br + br + br + br {
	display: none;
}
This simply hides 4 sibling breaks within a post. It doesn't affect anything else besides post content.
I'll try that, thanks!
BigBoosting

Post by BigBoosting »

KevC wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:55 am Are these actual spam accounts or just normal people on the board having a 'game' of making the posts longer?

If it's the former, you're better off stopping the spam before it even happens.
If it's the latter, it's your board, make rules and enforce them. If people can't be sensible start putting them on moderation queues or ban them for a bit until they learn.
I have a forum that allows Guests to post. Some don't like the main topic of discussion so they spam with long blank posts just to be disruptive. I ban IPs, but it would be nice to have something automated to not even have to worry with it
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Banning IPs is a waste of time and resources. If you allow Guest posting, you will have issues.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”