phpBB 3.2.1 : why hiding online registered users list?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Big Monstro

phpBB 3.2.1 : why hiding online registered users list?

Post by Big Monstro »

Hello.

I've tested the new phpBB 3.2.1 (currently in RC1 status). I've noticed a disturbing difference between prosilver for phpBB 3.2.1 and earlier versions.

In phpBB 3.2.0 and older, when you browse a board as a guest, you can view the online registered users list at the footer (index_body, viewforum_body and viewtopic_body). But now, that list is hidden except if you enable the viewing profiles for guest users (same permission for profiles, memberlist and online list).

For example, index_body.html (similar changes have been made in viewforum_body and viewtopic_body)

phpBB 3.2.0

Code: Select all

{TOTAL_USERS_ONLINE} ({L_ONLINE_EXPLAIN})<br />{RECORD_USERS}<br /> <br />{LOGGED_IN_USER_LIST}
<!-- IF LEGEND --><br /><em>{L_LEGEND}{L_COLON} {LEGEND}</em><!-- ENDIF -->
phpBB 3.2.1-RC1

{TOTAL_USERS_ONLINE} ({L_ONLINE_EXPLAIN})<br />{RECORD_USERS}<br /> 
<!-- IF U_VIEWONLINE -->
	<br />{LOGGED_IN_USER_LIST}
<!-- ENDIF -->
Why that change, considering it's not possible to enable online list for guests without enabling the memberlist and profiles? As a board administrator, I could decide to prevent viewing profiles and memberlist but still display the currently online users at the bottom.

What about birthday block in index_body.html? It's totally useless for guests if they cannot view profiles (always "No birthdays today" message is displayed).

Thank you for your answers!
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Re: phpBB 3.2.1 : why hiding online registered users list?

Post by JimA »

You can read some of the discussion behind why these changes were made in the tracker ticket and the discussion about the implementation in the Pull Request.

Basically, the consensus was that the permission now respects the wording of the permission correctly, as setting it to "No" now actually means that you can't view the Who is Online list. This as opposed to the earlier behaviour where you only couldn't view the Who is Online page but could still see the list on the index. Part of the discussion on implementation was also (as you can read) that using a simple template switch makes it easier for board admins (like you) to reverse the change if they dislike the new behaviour.
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Enough already discussed there, I wasn't aware of this merge. I have to say I disagree.
Looks to me like "hackish", but that's just me. :)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Big Monstro

Post by Big Monstro »

JimA wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:02 pm Basically, the consensus was that the permission now respects the wording of the permission correctly, as setting it to "No" now actually means that you can't view the Who is Online list. This as opposed to the earlier behaviour where you only couldn't view the Who is Online page but could still see the list on the index. Part of the discussion on implementation was also (as you can read) that using a simple template switch makes it easier for board admins (like you) to reverse the change if they dislike the new behaviour.
Thank you for your explanations!

Another question :

what's about birthday block? The mentioned tracker ticket PHPBB3-14498 talks about that too. If guests are not allowed to view profiles, the birthday block always displays the message "No birthdays today", regardless the actual members' data : if today is the birthday of one of my board member, I can see that when I log on, but not when I log off (unless I enable viewing profiles for guests). So, it's totally useless for guests and the birthday block should be entirely hidden if they cannot view profiles. It's a suggestion for the final release of phpBB 3.2.1 (or phpBB 3.2.1-RC2) ;)
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

Big Monstro wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:54 pm So, it's totally useless for guests and the birthday block should be entirely hidden if they cannot view profiles. It's a suggestion for the final release of phpBB 3.2.1 (or phpBB 3.2.1-RC2) ;)
If you feel you've found a bug introduced by this change, then please report it to the Bug Tracker. The Developers will review the report and (depending on the urgency and validity) might be able to fix it even before the final release of phpBB 3.2.1.

When you know how to solve this yourself, feel free to send your own pull request with a fix. :)
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
GoesOn

Post by GoesOn »

Are there hidden or not online members?
English is not my native language :!:
dontcoz

Post by dontcoz »

Big Monstro wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:35 pm Hello.

I've tested the new phpBB 3.2.1 (currently in RC1 status). I've noticed a disturbing difference between prosilver for phpBB 3.2.1 and earlier versions.

In phpBB 3.2.0 and older, when you browse a board as a guest, you can view the online registered users list at the footer (index_body, viewforum_body and viewtopic_body). But now, that list is hidden except if you enable the viewing profiles for guest users (same permission for profiles, memberlist and online list).

For example, index_body.html (similar changes have been made in viewforum_body and viewtopic_body)

phpBB 3.2.0

{TOTAL_USERS_ONLINE} ({L_ONLINE_EXPLAIN})<br />{RECORD_USERS}<br /> <br />{LOGGED_IN_USER_LIST}
phpBB 3.2.1-RC1

{TOTAL_USERS_ONLINE} ({L_ONLINE_EXPLAIN})<br />{RECORD_USERS}<br /> 
<!-- IF U_VIEWONLINE -->
	<br />{LOGGED_IN_USER_LIST}
<!-- ENDIF -->
Why that change, considering it's not possible to enable online list for guests without enabling the memberlist and profiles? As a board administrator, I could decide to prevent viewing profiles and memberlist but still display the currently online users at the bottom.

What about birthday block in index_body.html? It's totally useless for guests if they cannot view profiles (always "No birthdays today" message is displayed).

Thank you for your answers!
thank you. i though it was something i changed in permissions, until i found your post. i went back to the old setting.

nothing kills the buzz like giving something to the people, then taking it away.
Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

GoesOn wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:49 pm Are there hidden or not online members?
Not online since he’s referring to guests.
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
Big Monstro

Post by Big Monstro »

Indeed guests, or actually anyone without permission to view profiles, memberlist and viewonline.

I think it would be a good thing to separate the permission (allow to view memberlist but not profiles for example).

Return to “phpBB Discussion”