Are there any PHPbb SEO tools to improve seo?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Are there any PHPbb SEO tools to improve seo?

Post by thecoalman »

kaspir wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:56 am I like the point you brought to the table about the -f parameter & canonical. phpBB has to be aware, why is that not something they would fix on their own? I mean, the reasoning behind it? And perhaps you could suggest your edits to area51.phpbb mate!
Along with the f parameter when it was introduced the canonical URL is something that should of been thought of beforehand. Since the f parameter has never been implemented on my site it's non issue for me. The introduction of the f parameter basically doubled the duplicate content on a site. This is something that should of at least been an option when introduced, I don't know if it's used for anything else now but when introduced it was only used to generate the who is online information for specific forums. The introduction of the canonical URL is telling a bot most of the links generated by phpBB are not the base URL ....

I dont' know what the consequences would be changing it now.... What i do know is despite the fact you have told Google the canonical URL does not include the fa parameter this and other topics on phpBB.com that are indexed contain it. It's ignoring it...
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
kaspir
Name: Greg

Post by kaspir »

thecoalman wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:38 pm
kaspir wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:56 am I like the point you brought to the table about the -f parameter & canonical. phpBB has to be aware, why is that not something they would fix on their own? I mean, the reasoning behind it? And perhaps you could suggest your edits to area51.phpbb mate!
Along with the f parameter when it was introduced the canonical URL is something that should of been thought of beforehand. Since the f parameter has never been implemented on my site it's non issue for me. The introduction of the f parameter basically doubled the duplicate content on a site. This is something that should of at least been an option when introduced, I don't know if it's used for anything else now but when introduced it was only used to generate the who is online information for specific forums. The introduction of the canonical URL is telling a bot most of the links generated by phpBB are not the base URL ....

I dont' know what the consequences would be changing it now.... What i do know is despite the fact you have told Google the canonical URL does not include the fa parameter this and other topics on phpBB.com that are indexed contain it. It's ignoring it...
I'd would like to know phpBB's response to this.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

thecoalman wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:45 pm As a side note the -f parameter does have some usefulness because it can be used by advertisers to target a specific forum with Adwords and other advertising .
Just realized another very valuable thing this can ne used for, you can use it robots.txt for both forums and topics that the bot does not have access to. This will conserve your server resources and the bots resources so it can spend more time indexing or reindexing parts of your site you want indexed.

Code: Select all

Disallow: /forum/viewforum.php?f=1
Disallow: /forum/*.php?f=1&*
The first line will take care of the first page of the forum. The second line will take care of forum links with start parameter or any other parameters. It will also take care of topics in that forum regardless of parameter.

Beware, don't do this:

Disallow: /forum/*.php?f=1*
That would block

/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11
/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12
/forum/viewtopic.php?f=123

etc.....
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
DarKMaSk

Post by DarKMaSk »

John connor wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:29 am
In addition to that I would use the SEO Sitemap extension. https://github.com/LotusJeff/sitemap

It's not for live sites, but I haven't had any trouble.
It is even working in phpbb 3.2.5! Amazing!
Be a Phoenix... Reborn and rise from the ashes of failure.
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

DarKMaSk wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:12 pm It is even working in phpbb 3.2.5! Amazing!
That doesn't surprise me since extensions work like that for the most part. I have extensions that were made for 3.2 and they all still work.
Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
The nature of my chosen username
:ugeek:

Return to “phpBB Discussion”