Are there any PHPbb SEO tools to improve seo?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Toxyy

Re: Are there any PHPbb SEO tools to improve seo?

Post by Toxyy »

They should tell you on the github main page. If not Google the extension itself and see if you can find a page that it should go in. If not, there's a file within the extension itself which should tell you.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

amit4060n wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:26 pm Friends please tell me how to install extensions downloaded from github. Extension downloaded from here work. But from git hub I do not know author name to put in folder name in ext.
unzip the download and open composer.json

There you will find the name entry which will be like this "name": "hifikabin/headerbanner",

you create a directory using the name from before the / (hifikabin in this case) and name the unzipped download what is after the /

So when you upload to your server you end up with your directory structure like this:-
  • ext
    • hifikabin
      • headerbanner
with all of the extensions files in headerbanner
david63

Post by david63 »

Just to add - the problem is the way in which Github handles things rather than the way that developers create their extensions. Having said that if you are accessing files via Github then there is an expectation that you know what you are doing - if not then you should wait for the official release of an extension.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

janus_zonstraal wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:57 am
there is no meta description
Search engines don't use them since years.
The description is typically used by default for the snippet of text under the link in a search engine result thus if you want to convey to a user what the page is about you should have one instead of having the search engine provide one for you.

This of course become problematic with forum software without the poster providing a relevant one if the means are available.
titles are always the same
Not true
phpBB has decent titles but titles should be unique and descriptive, a feature that for example would prevent duplicate titles would help.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

janus_zonstraal wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:43 am There is a difference between RECOGNIZE them and use them to improve your ranking.
Good SEO typically improves the user experience and this is one of those things that can improve the user experience. Whether it helps your rankings or not should be irrelevant.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Toxyy wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:41 pm This works pretty well:

https://github.com/tas2580/seourls
Whether this is good or not I have no idea. Be very careful about using any mod that makes major changes to phpBB even if it's available here in the official extensions or widely used. When you add something like this you need to maintain it and that can be very difficult if the mod author decides to stop supporting it a few years down the road.

RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Extensions don't make any changes to any core phpBB files, at least they aren't supposed to.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

RMcGirr83 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:52 am Extensions don't make any changes to any core phpBB files, at least they aren't supposed to.
But those "SEO"-Extensions often change the urls generated by the board, so after disabling such extensions external and internal references set during the time the extension was active are not longer valid.

See the complains about "phpBBseo"-URLs which don't work any longer after phpBBseo was not updated to 3.1
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member

Post by RMcGirr83 »

I thought you were talking about changes to phpBB core files. The extension mentioned seems to convert the links on the fly instead of saving them in the database so the links should still work okay.

Doesn't really matter to me anyway as I find the whole topic about SEO stuffs to be minutia.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

RMcGirr83 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:52 am Extensions don't make any changes to any core phpBB files, at least they aren't supposed to.
Let me clarify, your board may work fine but the old internal links that have been posted and external links on other sites won't. Let's suppose phpBB decides to support URL rewriting in a future release, if that feature doesn't support the URL structure you have already implemented you are going to have a problem because it's unlikely anyone is going to support a third party URL rewriting extension.

You can fix URL's that have been posted internally but you can't fix them externally. From both a SEO perspective and user experience perspective you will have to redirect the old URL's to the new ones if you do not have the means to serve them as they originally were.

Another issue is if an upgrade to phpBB breaks the extension, if it's an important security update to phpBB this isn't something you can just deactivate and wait around for the author to update it.

While on the topic I would suggest that if phpBB does support URL rewriting in a future release they provide the means to customize the structure of the URL's .

RMcGirr83
Former Team Member

Post by RMcGirr83 »

And that's why I have always believed that human readable urls are minutia.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

RMcGirr83 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:06 am And that's why I have always believed that human readable urls are minutia.
I find them useful, I often hover over a link when the URL is posted first to to see if it's something I may want to click. News articles for example. The SEO aspect for page rank is debatable.

Whatever the case they should be consistent. Take the introduction of the f parameter. This wasn't a very good idea as far as I'm concerned as far as page rank goes and other issues like bots having yet another URL they might index. If this is the standard it should be consistent, all links generated by phpBB should have it included. Requests for pages without should be redirected.....

Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

canonknipser wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:03 am
But those "SEO"-Extensions often change the urls generated by the board, so after disabling such extensions external and internal references set during the time the extension was active are not longer valid.

See the complains about "phpBBseo"-URLs which don't work any longer after phpBBseo was not updated to 3.1
The extension uses your htaccess file to change URLs, so reverting to your old htaccess and disabling the extension would bring it back to normal.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member

Post by RMcGirr83 »

But if a bot had already scanned your site (like google) then the link it will provide will no longer be valid.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

I do agre with Rich and canonknipser, simply reverting to your old .htaccess does nothing than make the situation worse. In such cases you have to know how to play with the .htaccess rules in order to amend the actual .htaccess the extension created. And that's not so easy. ;) I have a clear example of a friend of mine which is very good at those things and saved its own day, after having read a tricky tutorial devoted to that.

To improve SEO use content, if you own any valuable/exclusive content.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Return to “phpBB Discussion”