Forum Rules - Bumping

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
david63

Forum Rules - Bumping

Post by david63 »

I am not criticising the "bumping" rule and I fully understand the reasoning behind it, but can I suggest that this rule is amended.

Currently the rule is that a topic should not be bumped for six hours and where you get a post of "Bump", "Up", "I need help now" within that six hour time frame I completely agree that this should be discouraged.

However there is another situation where although technically it is "bumping" it is not so in reality - and that is where a member is adding more information to a post. The "official" response is that if there have been no replies to the topic then the post should be edited with the additional information. That is all well and good apart from the fact that there is an option in the Quick links to search for "Unread posts" and if you use this option, as I do along with probably many others, then edited posts are not shown and the additional posts get missed.

There have, if I recall correctly, been several discussions/requests in the past that edited posts should be marked as unread, but nothing has ever come of it.

I can accept that there is a fine dividing line to be drawn here but I also believe that there should be some discretion shown and a minor change to the rules to reflect this.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Re: Forum Rules - Bumping

Post by JimA »

Hi David,

You make a valid point and this is something that we've definitely discussed within the Community Team as well several times. We continuously try to improve our rules and policies. You might have noticed that our rules page was recently revamped. Some old unnecessary rules were removed and others were reworded.

Now, with regards to the bumping rule. We're actually already way more lenient with that than we used to be, exactly for the reasons that you mention. We decided to keep the rule for now though. This is because we still want to be able to disallow users from making five or six posts in succession, even if they're adding new information. We still don't want to see a new post for every single new sentence or every tiny new bit of information, so to speak. ;)

It's currently at the discretion of the moderator looking at the report, or the topic in general, whether to kindly remind the user of the bumping rule or to let it slide in that specific case.
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”