rotate images / attachments

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
DWFII
Name: D.W.

rotate images / attachments

Post by DWFII »

Is there an extension to rotate attached images in 3.2?
DWFII
In the High Desert of Central Oregon
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: rotate images / attachments

Post by stevemaury »

Are you asking this because some images are displaying sideways? This is an iPhone issue.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

stevemaury wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:25 pm Are you asking this because some images are displaying sideways? This is an iPhone issue.
Yes, exactly! I don't have an IPhone but one of my students does and out of 8 (?) images attached every one of them seems to be 90°counterclockwise.

I would try to download each and rotate them in a program like PS but I can't find them in the forum files on the server nor do I have access to them as Admin.

I suspect that more people use IPhone than Samsung but in any case, what with all the hoohaw about "responsiveness" and making phpBB work with smartphones, this would be a priority.

Is this an IPhone issue only on phpBB or is it an issue with other php forums (ie. Xenforo, VBulletin, Simple Machines, etc..) as well?
DWFII
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

It is not just bulletin boards. It is ALL internet uploads. For example, Windows Picture and Fax viewer. This is NOT a phpBB issue. Google "iphone pictures sideways".
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

Thanks for the info. Good stuff.
DWFII
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

stevemaury wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:34 pm It is ALL internet uploads.
No it isn't. It only becomes an issue when A)the software displaying the image does not support orientation or B)software manipulating an image does not take into account orientation before manipulation and strips the EXIF data.

All browsers support orientation and plupload supports it. I have not checked if phpBB's implementation of plupload is configured for it. Server side Imagemagick supports it and it can be managed with GD.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

thecoalman wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:36 pm
No it isn't. It only becomes an issue when A)the software displaying the image does not support orientation or B)software manipulating an image does not take into account orientation before manipulation and strips the EXIF data.

All browsers support orientation and plupload supports it. I have not checked if phpBB's implementation of plupload is configured for it. Server side Imagemagick supports it and it can be managed with GD.
So what does that mean? is there an extension for 3.2 that supports rotation? I am using Lightbox right now and AFAIK it doesn't.

Bottom line...is there some way I, as Admin, can rotate images?
DWFII
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

thecoalman wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:36 pm

As I understand it, the iPhone files may misreport their orientation depending on the physical orientation of the phone, so there is no way for other software to know what the proper orientation is.

Read the results of the Google search I suggested.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

DWFII wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:58 pm is there an extension for 3.2 that supports rotation?
Not yet, it is a project I started but I am busy with other stuffs at the moment.
DWFII wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:45 pm I don't have an IPhone but one of my students does and out of 8 (?) images attached every one of them seems to be 90°counterclockwise.
You may want to instruct those students to use a different physical orientation of the phone ATM.

In a perfect world that should be implemented already, indeed.
The side note though is we don't live in a perfect one and things goes the way they are destined to.
Not really a phpBB issue IMO, that could be a feature request to issue in the tracker.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
rxu
Extensions Development Team

Post by rxu »

DWFII wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:58 pm is there an extension for 3.2 that supports rotation?
I know such an extension, but it's in beta, requires PHP exif library connected and only handles jpeg images. So, handle with care ;)
https://github.com/AlexSheer/phpbb3.1-R ... ched-Image
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

If the pictures are taken in landscape do they always display in landscape?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

stevemaury wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:10 pm As I understand it, the iPhone files may misreport their orientation depending on the physical orientation of the phone, so there is no way for other software to know what the proper orientation is.
I'm not aware of any specific issues with Apple but it's not just apple phones using this, even high end cameras can be set to use it. This image is correctly handled by plupload on my test forum after being resized client side, the thumbnail generated server side is not.
Attachments
Portrait_5.jpg
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Just to add it should be fairly easy to implement thumbnail creation client side with plupload? It would avoid any issues with server side compatibility.

DWFII

Post by DWFII »

Mick wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:02 pm If the pictures are taken in landscape do they always display in landscape?
Yes, they do.

But this is weird...on the PC (in a 3.2 phpBB forum using Lightbox) the thumbnails are rotated and when the photo is clicked on, it opens up rotated. And very, very slowly.

When the self-same forum is opened on a phone (IPhone or Samsung S6) the thumbnails again are rotated but when the photo is clicked on the photo opens / expands properly (not rotated) although still a bit slowly. Even when the phoned is held in "portrait" / vertical position. :?
DWFII
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Do you have an example URL where this happens? I'm not saying I have a fix or anything I'm just interested to see what's going on.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “phpBB Discussion”