Transferring Data Between Forum Softwares?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Felasco

Transferring Data Between Forum Softwares?

Post by Felasco » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:35 pm

Hello,

Are there tools for transferring forum content between various kinds of forum software? As example, could you move content on a phpBB forum to a VBulletin forum, or vice versa?

I don't need the details of how to do it for now, just looking for a general idea of whether this is possible, and generally how reliable the process is.

Thanks!

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Re: Transferring Data Between Forum Softwares?

Post by david63 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:34 pm

What is that you are trying to do?

Are you trying to convert from one forum package to another - in which case there are conversion scripts that will (or at least should) do that, but how reliable they are is difficult to say. Reading the posts on this board about converting then they are not without their problems.

If, on the other hand, you are trying to feed one board into another in a live scenario then that is not something that I have heard of.

To answer your question
Felasco wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:35 pm
just looking for a general idea of whether this is possible
All things are possible.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email or as they will be ignored

Felasco

Post by Felasco » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:45 pm

david63 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:34 pm
Are you trying to convert from one forum package to another - in which case there are conversion scripts that will (or at least should) do that, but how reliable they are is difficult to say. Reading the posts on this board about converting then they are not without their problems.
For now I'm just trying to see what is possible. Yea, I figured the situation would be as you describe, available, but unreliable.

Ok, thanks, I'm not going to count on being able to transfer data between different platforms.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:55 am

You're better off explaining what you have in mind.

Converters tend to be set up so you do a one-off conversion of the entire board from one software to another. You sound a bit like you want to integrate so that posts on one platform show up in another. That's a whole other box of problems.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Return to “phpBB Discussion”