Can phpBB be used as product articles?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Slippinin

Can phpBB be used as product articles?

Post by Slippinin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:30 am

Was wondering if you could set up phpBB to have sub-boards created act like product articles? Sort of like an editable template around the threads that are specific to each board, like product info or pricing.

Sort of like

Code: Select all

----------------------------------------
|Board Title                     info{edit}
|
|info [edit}    info{edit}    info{edit}
|
|------------------------------------------
||Board Threads
|------------------------------------------
|
Hopefully that makes sense. The info spots would be product info and related stuff that could be different for each individual board, and would basically be the 'theme' of the sub-board and leave the infos empty until added. Is there a maximum number of sub-boards that can be created? If there are 50,000 products could a board be made for each product?

Looking for a way to display products, but i don't like the look of the comment sections on any of the cms's. Plus was hoping all of the user menus, accounts, frond end administration and profile stuff was already built in and easily customizable on the templates and didn't have to spend a lot of time messing with it. Thanks for any help.

Ger

Re: Can phpBB be used as product articles?

Post by Ger » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:48 am

Slippinin wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:30 am
The info spots would be product info and related stuff that could be different for each individual board, and would basically be the 'theme' of the sub-board and leave the infos empty until added.
Well, there is the possibility to set a different theme for each (sub)forum. Would require a lot of maintenance though when you speak of that much forums.
Is there a maximum number of sub-boards that can be created? If there are 50,000 products could a board be made for each product?
There is no hard limit for the number of forums, however: you'll hit server limits. Everything goes well when you have a couple of hundreds forums, but above, say, 1000 things will definitely slow down. Of course you could try and slam some hardware against it, but I think you better realize that phpBB isn't intended for this. Which leads me to the following:
Looking for a way to display products, but i don't like the look of the comment sections on any of the cms's. Plus was hoping all of the user menus, accounts, frond end administration and profile stuff was already built in and easily customizable on the templates and didn't have to spend a lot of time messing with it. Thanks for any help.
phpBB is forum software. It excels at providing a platform for discussions, but not in what you describe here. I think you're better off with webshop software that give the opportunity for reviews (as comments) and are designed for products in categories, with properties, etc.
Checkout my extensions: Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Modbreak, Magic OGP links and Live topic update

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

Slippinin

Post by Slippinin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:09 pm

Thanks Ger. When you say hit server limits what do you mean? Why can a server handle 50,000 items in webshop software but not boards? Doesn't every webshop have its own comments and all the extras you put on it? Just curious if there's a custom way to display the forums that won't affect the server handling them. I'll likely make custom html frontpage and categories that call up last posts and random info, the entire forum will likely never be listed.

I'm checking because the discussion is what I'm considering the most important thing, kind of like and also here's some info and a place to buy the product.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:12 pm

The problem is that each forum has its own set of permissions. Once you have 1000+ forums, you have 1000 different permissions settings for each user and group.

Slippinin

Post by Slippinin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:39 pm

Ok, thanks Brf. I'm not really up on the technical stuff. So every board you add adds a permission set the server would have to check? Does it just keep slowing down as you add sub boards or what happens? Why does it need to check all 1000 permissions? Does the webshop software or cmss not have permissions that need checked?

Sorry about all the questions, just want to get as much info as possible. I would rather have a forum software be the main content provider, but i may have no choice but to use wordpress or joomla and just completely change the comment sections to look like boards. Just not sure what the difference is between calling up product X with a comment section and calling up board for product X with wrap around info. Does the server have to check through all boards and not all products? Just confusing.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:45 pm

"Forums", not "boards". "Board" is the whole.

If you wanted, you could simply have a Topic for each product, not a whole Forum.

Slippinin

Post by Slippinin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:53 pm

Sorry about that, seems everyone has different terminology. I consider a forum a group of boards, and the board the bottom level where you can create threads.

Having a topic for each doesn't allow for creating thread within the topic and having a list of those threads. I see what you mean though, you would have the functionality of the phpBB within your comment section. Would like thread lists with a subject line to enter, but that is something to consider. Could you call up a specific thread to show at the bottom of a product listing by any chance?

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:31 pm

PhpBB does not have "threads" or "comments".

Your topic here would be easier to understand if you used the correct terms.

This "post" is a "reply" to your "topic" Can phpBB be used as product articles?

It is in the "Forum" phpBB Discussion, which is in the "Category Forum" Non-support Specific.

All of the Forums are in the "Board" phpBB Community

Ger

Post by Ger » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:58 am

Slippinin wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:39 pm
Ok, thanks Brf. I'm not really up on the technical stuff. So every board you add adds a permission set the server would have to check? Does it just keep slowing down as you add sub boards or what happens? Why does it need to check all 1000 permissions? Does the webshop software or cmss not have permissions that need checked?
For only a forum there are about 30 permissions to check for a regular user, plus about 15 permissions to check for a moderator. A CMS has less options for posting etc. than a forum, therefore less permissions.

It's just different.
Checkout my extensions: Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Modbreak, Magic OGP links and Live topic update

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:44 pm

There are plenty of shopping cart type programs out there, you may be able to integrate one with your board?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.
Forza Garibaldi

Slippinin

Post by Slippinin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:04 pm

Thanks for the replies, i might do something like that mick. I just didn't know if you could only call up certain forums or boards (forums whatever) to show certain places, and if so whether it would still need to check permissions of forums not showing. I'll probably just have to mess with both a little bit and see how i can combine them. The one thing i did like about the cms comments is that they could be nested, and it seems phpBB comments cannot, but it has much better options and functionality. Just not sure why if you have a board (whatever) called 1999 Ford F-150 and that's the only board shown to the user at the time why it needs to check the corvette board permissions or the other 999 board's permissions, or even 50,000 boards (forums) when you can only view them one at a time why check all permissions, or maybe I'm misunderstanding that somehow.

Since the site is mostly about discussion i was thinking about integrating the whole login/register part into the main template and call up sections of the forum if i needed to and if that's possible. Then the product stuff and forum stuff are separate and I'm the one that has access to all of the product infos instead of running that stuff through phpBB. I don't know, I'll get it figured out probably by trial and error.

Slippinin

Post by Slippinin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:33 pm

Incidentally, a board is a message board or bulletin board where you post messages, the container of the boards are called forums. Your website is a forum and the categories are further subdivisions of that forum topic that lead to the bottom level message boards that threads can be posted on. If you want to get technical the website is a thread and the categorizes further subdivision of that thread topic until you get to where users can post their own threads related to the threads they are in. That's the correct terminology, but i don't get all bent out of shape when someone wants to make up their own.
forum - a website, newspaper, television program, etc. where people can express their ideas and opinions
board - a flat wide surface such as a bulletin board or blackboard placed upright and used for showing information
thread - a series of e-mail messages or messages on a bulletin board about a particular subject

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:07 pm

No big thing, but a "thread" is much different from a "topic". Back in ancient times, most bulletin boards, and their predecessors, Newsgroups, were threaded. This meant you had a branched tree-like structure where responses to specific posts were indented under them, and responses to the responses also indented. Flat bulletin boards, like phpBB, have topic, which are just a series of posts responding to an initial topic.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

Slippinin

Post by Slippinin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:55 pm

Yes no big deal, i just never thought i would be condescended to on a board for forum software and told to conform to language that's completely backwards from what things are. The dictionary exists. I think the proper role of staff is to try and work with whatever language the user wants to get the job done, and not try and force them to learn your language (which happened to be wrong in the first place). If you know what they mean just go with it and save a lot of time and confusion, but that's just me.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:38 am

Slippinin wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:55 pm
work with whatever language the user wants
Until you want members being able to reply to specific posts, not only in general - then you would need threads and suddenly all the different terms make sense. And while other board software can indeed have threads (and show them in a tree like display) phpBB can't do that. If you want to live with saying "thread" you should at least know that you're using it wrongly.

The "forum" versus "board" usage is more logical here than elsewhere, because the whole software is a BBS (one B stands for "board") and other BBS software (like XenForo I guess) mixed this up for reasons unknown to me. It's not that we want to penalize you - it's just that you finally encounter people knowing their words.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████

Return to “phpBB Discussion”