Is Windows OK?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Heo32

Is Windows OK?

Post by Heo32 »

I've been hosting my website on my laptop for a few years now. It's running on a Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB setup with no known issues. Everything is kept updated including the software components. I also use TLS (https), several security enhancements in my Nginx configuration file as well as Cloudflare.

I know that most servers in the world run Linux. I tried Ubuntu in the past (Desktop version) but it was too hard for me to figure out. Windows just made sense so I used it. From what I've read though, an OS with a GUI makes websites less secure for some reason yet I have no idea why.

What I'd like to know is, is Windows safe and secure enough for my website?
stevemaury wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:16 pm I went to your board and looked for an hour or so, but did not see the women without underwear.
Allow using Content-Security-Policy without unsafe-inline • Content-Security-Policy
AmigoJack

Re: Is Windows OK?

Post by AmigoJack »

Heo32 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:45 pmtoo hard for me to figure out
an OS with a GUI makes websites less secure for some reason yet I have no idea why
I'm afraid no OS handled by you is "safe and secure enough" for that. If you can't figure it out you have to delegate it to someone who does.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

What I am looking for is a response telling me how and why Linux is more secure as a hosting platform than Windows.
stevemaury wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:16 pm I went to your board and looked for an hour or so, but did not see the women without underwear.
Allow using Content-Security-Policy without unsafe-inline • Content-Security-Policy
Ger

Post by Ger »

Both are secure, when properly configured and maintained. I think what AmigoJack is trying to tell you is that when you are asking questions like this, you're probably not the right person to maintain a secure server. You're better off hiring a space at a descent hosting company.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
JEFFJOHNSON
I've Been Banned!

Post by JEFFJOHNSON »

From a security perspective, both environments are very secure if it's set up properly. You have to keep patching up to date and enable your firewall.

Then with you web server you have to set up your HTTP Response headers, install SSL, etc, etc.

With everything in place is shouldn't matter in the realm of security.. Now there are difference and some OS's are better at doing certain tasks, you website will run faster on linux and apache vs Windows and IIS. But that difference will be very small.

So to answer you question, yes windows is secure enough.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”