Feeling very ignorant... Perhaps someone can set me straight.

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Elias
Name: Elias

Re: Feeling very ignorant... Perhaps someone can set me straight.

Post by Elias »

"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Jason1017 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:11 pm ...
Why did I, or anyone else for that matter, bother downloading the newest board version when all the extensions that make the board simple and fun are simply not available?
My board sits idle while I search everywhere for compatible extensions that will make this board our home.
That is a very strange way of putting things. You may have doubts about downloading phpbb yourself, but the statement that others have had to "bother", or that it's the extensions that make the board simple and fun, sounds a bit one-sided. I was always under the impression that the people made it fun.
Jason1017 wrote: And I can't help feeling it was a stupid question, but I see no way around it; if I'd downloaded 3.0 I'd have long since made an easy to use, comfortable board out of it with what is available. Anywhere care to set me straight?
Yes.
3.0 is a previous generation and no more support is given. Using it now is comparable to still using Windows XP. It works but if any problems occur, you're on your own and don't even think about refunds.
Also, 3.0 does not have any plugin-system so modifications would have to be done by hand (unless you find something made for automod)

Anyway, why even bother to mention 3.0 as even 3.1 is nearing EOL.
Currently focus should be on 3.2, and if you can't find a ready made extension to your needs (or one still in development status), there's still the request area.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
david63

Post by david63 »

Jason1017 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:11 pm ... without the updated extensions, the board is essentially useless until the extensions catch up.
Which updated extensions? The vast majority of extensions work with both 3.1 and 3.2 and many of the "old" 3.0 MODs have been converted to extensions.

If you can be a bit more specific about which extensions you are having a problem with then perhaps we might be in a better position to advise you.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

David guy working on the IMG resizer
That is a client side javascript resizer, has nothing to do with physically resizing the size of the image as uploaded to the server or link shared on the forum.

3.1 extensions MAY work just fine on 3.2, then again they may not and the only way to see is to install them unless someone has already tested it and stated it works.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image

Return to “phpBB Discussion”