is it a big deal if images and links posted on your secure site are insecure

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
dontcoz

is it a big deal if images and links posted on your secure site are insecure

Post by dontcoz »

as the title says, i was wondering what are the implications of having unsecure images and links posted on a secure site.
janus_zonstraal

Re: is it a big deal if images and links posted on your secure site are insecure

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Some browsers blocking the images (Opera) and others simple don't give the green lock in the address.
A link is no problem
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
Ger

Re: is it a big deal if images and links posted on your secure site are insecure

Post by Ger »

Really? You don't bother with images not being displayed or warnings displayed to users, yet you do wonder about how this would effect SEO?
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

dontcoz wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:57 pmis it a big deal if
as the title says
And nowhere you mentioned SEO concerns? Do you understand that links (either textual or thru pictures) to websites or pictures can leave your website scope? The resource may not even support HTTPS, so it can't be your fault to not use HTTPS in the link - likewise it may only support HTTPS and no HTTP anymore (not even a redirect). And search engines should know/understand that better than most of the website owners.

Alternatively you can make it your philosophy to not link to resources anymore that don't support HTTPS (but I have to yet see a person being this consistent).
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
dontcoz

Post by dontcoz »

sure, i see both of your points:)

my seo concerns comes mostly from the warning directed at users when using http sites, so i was wondering if search engines would blanket downgrade the http sites in their search algorithms.

i am clearly just guessing all this, ergo my question in the op.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

dontcoz wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:17 am so i was wondering if search engines would blanket downgrade the http sites in their search algorithms.
A good question for the google's search facility, indeed. :)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
david63

Post by david63 »

dontcoz wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:17 am my seo concerns comes mostly from the warning directed at users when using http sites
That warning emanates from some of the latest versions of browsers and has nothing to do with SEO
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Google prefers HTTPS and will use it for ranking a site, especially if they accept user input like a forum.

As for pages with mix content that's debatable. Makes sure all you own content is https.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “phpBB Discussion”