Where the database resides? Bacup related

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
madoues

Where the database resides? Bacup related

Post by madoues »

Hi,

A few years back, I had setup a phpBB site for a future project that I would like to now go ahead with.
I have only basic computer literacy and before I changed hosting company,
I backed up the phpBB folder to my computer thinking I could just transfer to a new server and re-use this phpBB setup.
Well, it's not working and the setup is lost I fear.

So I have a few questions before I start over on this new server.

1) Am I right in thinking that the reason that my "backup" isn't working is that I simply backed up the Phpbb program
and not the database where the BB data resides?

2) Do we as clients of hosting companies generally have access to the raw database files aside from through the PhpBB program?
In other words, if one wants to back up the whole database as a file, do hosting companies permit this? It didn't seem to reside in the root folder or any other folder that I had with the previous hosting company.

3) Do hosting companies generally provide support for SQL databases which is necessary for Phpbb to function, or is this the exception rather than the norm? I ask this because I just realized that my new hosting company may not be SQL enabled.

Cheers,
Dan
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Where the database resides? Bacup related

Post by KevC »

1) Yes. The board is in 2 parts. The phpBB folder contains all of the files that control how it looks and works. The database contains all of the users, posts and forums etc. The database IS your board. You can remake the site without the original files but you must have the database.

2) Yes most decent hosts will have access to the database in the site control panel via phpmyadmin. It will not be a file in the FTP folder hierarchy.

3) Yes although you need to check if that's available on the hosting package you've signed up for.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
david63

Post by david63 »

madoues wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:33 pm 1) Am I right in thinking that the reason that my "backup" isn't working is that I simply backed up the Phpbb program
and not the database where the BB data resides?
Yes
madoues wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:33 pm 2) Do we as clients of hosting companies generally have access to the raw database files aside from through the PhpBB program?
In other words, if one wants to back up the whole database as a file, do hosting companies permit this? It didn't seem to reside in the root folder or any other folder that I had with the previous hosting company.
Depends on the hosting company. If you have "free" hosting then you may not have access to the database.

Most hosting companies allow access to the database through a program called phpMyAdmin (or something similar) - you may be able to access this via your Control Panel, failing that you will need to ask your hosts about how to access it.
madoues wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:33 pm 3) Do hosting companies generally provide support for SQL databases which is necessary for Phpbb to function, or is this the exception rather than the norm? I ask this because I just realized that my new hosting company may not be SQL enabled.
Again it depends on the hosting company anf the type of hosting plan you have, but generally you will have SQL database in your account. You will need to get the specifics from your host.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
madoues

Post by madoues »

Thank you both for your replies,

Looks like I will have to visit my hosting company's rep for more details.

I went with them because they are local and was thinking of using them to develop parts of the website I am planning to build, since
they are also web developers.

I will surely have more questions for this board in the future, but thanks for setting me straight for now.

Cheers,
Dan

Return to “phpBB Discussion”