Is it worth upgrading from 3.0.12

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
time-lord

Is it worth upgrading from 3.0.12

Post by time-lord » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:09 am

I admin a forum which has been stable for the last 3+ years on the above version of phpBB. Is it worthwhile upgrading to newer software? Not sure what issues upgrading would cause for the forum. I am aware that my version is not supported anymore as well.
Last edited by time-lord on Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jodi-86

Re: Is it worth upgrading from 3.012

Post by Jodi-86 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:45 am

It's definitely worth updating, does your forum have many extensions installed? as there are a few from earlier versions that won't work on the newer versions so best to check before making any changes etc

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:38 am

time-lord wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:09 am
I admin a forum which has been stable for the last 3+ years on the above version of phpBB. Is it worthwhile upgrading to newer software? Not sure what issues upgrading would cause for the forum. I am aware that my version is not supported anymore as well.
Not only is it worth it, it's recommended.
You will have to uninstall all modifications before upgrading (and I'm specifically refering to database changes). Read the upgrade documentation thoroughly before starting and take a backup before changing anything.
Try to upgrade on a testforum (using a backup) to see if any problems occur . The upgrade process from 3.0.x tot 3.2.1 takes quite a while (especially if your database is large).
As to the modifications: have a look at the extension forums.
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:56 am

Jodi-86 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:45 am
It's definitely worth updating, does your forum have many extensions installed? as there are a few from earlier versions that won't work on the newer versions so best to check before making any changes etc
It's 3.0 so it won't have any extensions at all, they will be MODs. None are compatible with 3.2.x
You will loose all of your MODs and styles but your users and posts will be fine.

As for why you should update.... 3.2 is responsive, which is important these days with tablets and smartphones, adding features by extensions is easy because there is no coding required any more, you just upload a folder and activate it and updating is easy, it's just a full file replacement as you don't need to merge coded changes any more because you (probably) won't have any.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:19 am

3.012 never existed.

Yes, it is worth upgrading from 3.0.12 to 3.0.14.

3.2.x makes use of external resources and frameworks not developed by phpBB, so it has a decreased trustworthiness while having increased code complexity.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:03 am

AmigoJack wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:19 am
3.2.x makes use of external resources and frameworks not developed by phpBB, so it has a decreased trustworthiness while having increased code complexity.
Isn't that the kind of conclusion which I should classify under unfounded generalisation? (not that I'm qualified to state whether it's correct or not)

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:37 am

Frameworks (in contrast to libraries) always have their own way of using them, mostly thru added abstraction which may improve following the DRY principle (unless you realize that PHP itself is an abstraction already) at the cost of ignoring the KISS principle (you never use 100% of a framework but most likely 100% of your own code). I understand phpBB chose it because of not wanting to "reinvent the wheel" in one or more situations, tho.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:01 pm

AmigoJack wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:37 am
Frameworks (in contrast to libraries) always have their own way of using them, mostly thru added abstraction which may improve following the DRY principle (unless you realize that PHP itself is an abstraction already) at the cost of ignoring the KISS principle (you never use 100% of a framework but most likely 100% of your own code). I understand phpBB chose it because of not wanting to "reinvent the wheel" in one or more situations, tho.
I know and I try to abide by ROT (or WET) but there are limits (readability is a must for me).
I also (vehemently) agree that the 3.2 code is (a lot) more complex than the 3.0 code but that's our world: it wants more and larger (and so-called easier) and there's no stopping that. phpBB has to keep up (in which it has succeeded I think) and a stable framework was needed.

I only commented because of your statement which is/sounds ambiguous: is the decrease in trustworthiness due to the use of external resources, or due to the "not developed by phpBB" part? No, I don't need an answer ;)

juliokr

Post by juliokr » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:37 pm

AmigoJack wrote:

I don't think so at all ! Update from one outdated version to another (3.0.12 to 3.0.14.) doesn't make no sens ! 3.0.14 is not responsive (more the 50% of visited websites are today visited with mobile devices) Make modifications in the core of softwares is also outdated

time-lord

Post by time-lord » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:09 pm

AmigoJack wrote:
3.012 never existed.

3.012 never existed.

Well I stand corrected. Perhaps this near 70 year old should wear his glasses.

Board version: 3.0.12

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:45 pm

time-lord wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:09 pm
3.012 never existed.

Are you milking this one, or do you honestly not see the difference between 3.012 and 3.0.12?
It could have been 3.1.2 mistyped also!

time-lord

Post by time-lord » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:09 pm

warmweer wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:45 pm
time-lord wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:09 pm
3.012 never existed.

Are you milking this one, or do you honestly not see the difference between 3.012 and 3.0.12?
It could have been 3.1.2 mistyped also!
Perhaps you should re-read what I posted. I am almost 70 and wear glasses to read, curtsey of Septic shock.

AmigoJack

Re: Is it worth upgrading from 3.0.12

Post by AmigoJack » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:49 am

I take the chance and ask you: is the zoom feature in today's web browsers sufficient for you to read texts? Or is it not that much of a help, because then most website designs shift/distort too drastically?

As for your initial post: if you have never modified your board then upgrading should be the easiest (but it still involves testing it before instead of blindly trusting that nothing will break). If you modified your board, then at least compare all files against those of a 3.0.14 installation and adopt changes. The 3.2.x series will give you a few more features and a few more granular user settings - if all members of your board are basically only use it for communicating and don't even use features like notifications then upgrading has no point.

From a technical point of view your server software runs out of support as well (i.e. PHP 5.6) and upgrading that will kill a 3.0.x board version. So far no security threats exist for either PHP 5.6.33 nor phpBB 3.0.14.
Last edited by AmigoJack on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:03 am

time-lord wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:09 pm
Perhaps you should re-read what I posted. I am almost 70 and wear glasses to read, curtsey of Septic shock.
Sorry, it seems I was having a bad yesterday (I actually thought you were sneering at AmigoJack) my mistake :oops:

time-lord

Re: Is it worth upgrading from 3.0.12

Post by time-lord » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:09 pm

AmigoJack wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:49 am
I take the chance and ask you: is the zoom feature in today's web browsers sufficient for you to read texts? Or is it not that much of a help, because then most website designs shift/distort too drastically?

I keep my page size @ 125% which when I use my reading glasses which is fine for most reading. It was quite a shock to wake up from a coma to discover my eyesight had been affected due to septic shock. From 20/20 to a lot worse in just one step. And before anyone asks, I was hit by another driver and suffered injuries including a perforated bowel. 4 months bedridden and almost two years to recover fully. Lucky I have three cats I can borrow lives from. :D

As for your initial post: if you have never modified your board then upgrading should be the easiest (but it still involves testing it before instead of blindly trusting that nothing will break). If you modified your board, then at least compare all files against those of a 3.0.14 installation and adopt changes. The 3.2.x series will give you a few more features and a few more granular user settings - if all members of your board are basically only use it for communicating and don't even use features like notifications then upgrading has no point.

Dion Designs imported the forum from forumotion in August of 2013 and converted it into PHP. It is the same (primary design) as it was when it was at forumotion. Dion did make a couple of other templates (styles) that can be used by members but otherwise I do not see any :mods" on the board. I have wanted to add the ability to translate the board into other languages such as Spanish, French and such.

From a technical point of view your server software runs out of support as well (i.e. PHP 5.6) and upgrading that will kill a 3.0.x board version. So far no security threats exist for either PHP 5.6.33 nor phpBB 3.0.14.
My concern is stability for the forums which are hosted on a MVPS currently. If 3.0.12 needs to be upgraded to something else which has proven to be stable and secure then I am all for it. If not then I would have to be convinced that upgrading is in the best interests of my board members. Luckily we have never been hacked that I know of and the board was down for a few moments a year ago but that was a host issue.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”