PhpBB vs Vbulletin vs xenforo

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: PhpBB vs Vbulletin vs xenforo

Post by warmweer »

JLA wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:11 pm
Self-hosted
OK, you are hereby authorised to self-host my board any time ;)
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

let's not forget all those little guys running back and forth around the world delivering the messages and the replies.
they are working their little asses off for sure.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

warmweer wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:29 pm
JLA wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:11 pm
Self-hosted
OK, you are hereby authorised to self-host my board any time ;)
Since 2004 - we have absorbed into our site a few old phpbb's that decided to give up.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I joined a sports board two weeks ago that was using Xenforo. I’m biased but I found the experience ‘hard work’ for want of a better phrase. I wouldn’t use it if it was free but, as I said, I’m biased.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Please read: “Am I In The Right Place?” before posting.

kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by kinerity »

JLA wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:33 pm
we have absorbed into our site a few old phpbb's that decided to give up.
That's not a fair statement - he just wanted to get out of the hosting business. ;)
Kailey Truscott - Community Team

GaiaBudz

Post by GaiaBudz »

Naturally I have to go with phpBB, having had experience with my fair share of phpBB and vBulletin powered forums phpBB is definitely better. I don’t know much about Xenoform, but I am sure in comparison phpBB would still be preferred for me.

Frankly, as far as I am concerned all three do the exact same thing. The available extensions or themes available personally are irrelevant, if you have the knowledge you can code your own extensions and designs your own themes. If you can’t? Then it is as easy as hiring someone to do it for you. At the end of the day, it comes to the fact that phpBB is free software, and forum software like vbulletin, ipb, and xenoform are not.

Anything they can do, in the right hands phpBB can do. So why would I spend money on licensing for forum software, that I can code myself or pay someone to code anything those paid forum software can do as a standard that my free one can’t? For convenience? I call paying for convenience being a sucker, you’re just too lazy to learn how to make those features yourself, or have someone make them for a fraction of the price it would cost to purchase that license. Buying forum software is like throwing money away when you can learn how to do everything I just went on about for free as well by just using google. That’s how I did it

72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

<Small Voice>
Kunena (Joomla plugin) is also free.
</SV>

I've been going through this exercise for an existing forum that is thinking of going away from phpBB. Others considered have been Discourse (as now used by the MX5 Owners Club) as well as Xenforo (Vincent Owners Club). I'm not sure what Thumpertalk https://thumpertalk.com/forums/ uses but it's pretty impressive (it uses an AWS clone for attachments after server side image compression for example).

It depends a lot if the organisation wanting to use a forum have people sufficiently IT savvy to install, maintain and administer it.
phpBB is great if you do (kunena isn't bad either). The 'turnkey' solution offered by Discourse is superficially attractive if money is no object.

Still working on my report. The organisation relies a lot on a commercial website supplier and just volunteers for the forum (except mySQL level and server script FTP level access, which complicated things).
'And what is good, Phaedrus, And what is not good—Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?'

JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

FYI Thumpertalk uses Invision Community.
I wrote the thing that does BBCodes in 3.2+.

72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

JoshyPHP wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:22 pm
FYI Thumpertalk uses Invision Community.
Thanks. The head honcho there is very helpful.
'And what is good, Phaedrus, And what is not good—Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?'

Return to “phpBB Discussion”