PhpBB vs Vbulletin vs xenforo

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: PhpBB vs Vbulletin vs xenforo

Post by thecoalman »

WWu777 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 6:24 am
Is that true? Is phpbb years behind Xenforo? If so, when will phpbb catch up? And why is it behind? Surely the developers at phpbb have all the latest knowledge in server technology, coding, HTML and software design right?
I'm not going to compare the two but the people that work on this project are volunteers. They have other jobs and work on this in their spare time. You pay nothing for that.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

WWu777 wrote:
Is that true? Is phpbb years behind Xenforo? If so, when will phpbb catch up? And why is it behind? Surely the developers at phpbb have all the latest knowledge in server technology, coding, HTML and software design right?
That post was made on Apr 30, 2014 and is specifically about phpBB3.1 :idea:
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

and, it is not a competition. there is very little in common between phpBB and xenforo other than the fact that they are both bulletin boards.

they are aimed at different type of users.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

warmweer wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:45 pm
WWu777 wrote:
That post was made on Apr 30, 2014 and is specifically about phpBB3.1 :idea:
So what Artodia said is no longer true then? In regards to phpbb3.3? What did he mean by "years behind" though? Behind in terms of what exactly? Technology? Coding? Any idea? Has phpbb caught up? He wasn't just talking about permalinks right? Probably something related to coding or structured HTML or something like that.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

In case you also ask all your questions at Artodia and Google and XenForo: what are their answers?
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.
Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

Comparison from 2014 - phpBB is now even better! A calendar extension is also available (here you find a cross next to calendar :-) )
Embedded Videos:No is also wrong! It should write: Plugin
Compare PhpBB 3 vs vBulletin 4 vs XenForo https://www.forum-software.org/forum-co ... vs-xenforo
Database Management - A no everywhere by Xenforo?
More of my styles you can find in my phpBB Style Board & More My styles -3.2.10-RC2
Be the best version of yourself rather than a bad copy of someone else!
Excuse me for my English, but I learned the language by speaking to people and not at school.
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

The crew, manpower goes different ways on phpBB and numerous contributing developers etc. have withdrawn.

phpBB is free of charge and adjustments are relatively possible, require knowledge. The mediation and the newer recurring changes will change with the release of phpBB-4.0?

So the question is not what should be rated more positively. The individual concept decides, at least I think.
mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

XenForo 1 was nice looking when it first came 9 years ago. I don't like the default look of XenForo 2 now though, and it's clear years later on that they are struggling to keep pace with WoltLab and especially ISP (Invision)
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

Hi everyone, I was wondering. Since phpbb doesn't use permalinks like xenforo does, what if I install SEO extensions like this one below the phpbb extension database, which should improve megatags, structured data, schema, etc per the standards of HTML5? Would that compensate and improve Google rankings? What do you all think?

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... o_metadata
Add dynamically generated meta tags and microdata (Open Graph, Twitter Cards and JSON-LD) of your forums and topics to improve SEO of your board and show correct information when you share it though social networks, including (but not limited to) Facebook, Twitter and Vkontakte.

Features:
Dynamically generated Open Graph, Twitter Cards meta tags and JSON-LD microdata from your board data and current page
Dynamic description
Set default image for Open Graph and JSON-LD
Set how description will be generated
ACP settings to enable/disable Open Graph, Twitter Cards and JSON-LD
Support for attachments, for topic image
Generate meta data for specific posts

Requirements:
PHP 7.1.3 or greater
phpBB 3.3 or greater

Translations:
Spanish (Formal Honorifics) [es]
Spanish (Casual Honorifics) [es_x_tu]

Has anyone here installed that SEO extension on their board? If so, did it make a difference in your Google ranking or SEO or site traffic?

One of my competitor sites using xenforo seems to have structured data and metatags in his forum. When I view the source code of one of his threads, I see this:

view-source:https://www.rooshvforum.com/threads/wel ... -ii.37354/

Code: Select all

<title>Welcome to RVF II | Roosh V Forum</title>

<meta name="description" content="I just spent the day migrating what was left of RVF I (special thanks to @Nineteen84 for assisting me with the migration). You can see the RVF I archive at..." />

<meta property="og:description" content="I just spent the day migrating what was left of RVF I (special thanks to @Nineteen84 for assisting me with the migration). You can see the RVF I archive at https://www.rooshvforum.com/archive. It won&#039;t be online forever, so grab anything you need from there by July.

As you can see, Xenforo..." />

<meta property="twitter:description" content="I just spent the day migrating what was left of RVF I (special thanks to @Nineteen84 for assisting me with the migration). You can see the RVF I archive at https://www.rooshvforum.com/archive. It..." />

<meta property="og:url" content="https://www.rooshvforum.com/threads/welcome-to-rvf-ii.37354/" />

<link rel="canonical" href="https://www.rooshvforum.com/threads/welcome-to-rvf-ii.37354/" />

<link rel="next" href="/threads/welcome-to-rvf-ii.37354/page-2" />

<meta property="og:site_name" content="Roosh V Forum" />

<meta property="og:type" content="website" />

<meta property="og:title" content="Welcome to RVF II" />

<meta property="twitter:title" content="Welcome to RVF II" />

<meta name="theme-color" content="#185886" />
I noticed that his structured data and meta tags contain stuff targeted to twitter and og and whatever. So that makes a huge difference in SEO and SERP? Is that what you call HTML5 too? Is that also called structured data?

I'm not a programmer so I'm new to all this stuff. I only found out about it recently, that's why I'm asking for some expert advice on this from programmers. Does all this stuff really matter to Google as some claim it does?
mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

Don't waste your time trying to alter the the SEO of phpBB, Google knows how to index stock phpBB sites just fine as they are. There is no need to do it, and you may cause more harm than good - and honestly google isn't indexing forums now like it used to do years ago. Google seem to have a problem these day with wanting to index forums - it see them as not worth indexing nowadays unless you run huge a forum like reddit, or some Q/A type site or blog.

It's just not worth even putting in the effort these days because of the way Google shuns forum now
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

mrgtb wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:02 pm
Don't waste your time trying to alter the the SEO of phpBB, Google knows how to index stock phpBB sites just fine as they are. There is no need to do it, and you may cause more harm than good - and honestly google isn't indexing forums now like it used to do years ago. Google seem to have a problem these day with wanting to index forums - it see them as not worth indexing nowadays unless you run huge a forum like reddit, or some Q/A type site or blog.

It's just not worth even putting in the effort these days because of the way Google shuns forum now
I heard about that too. That Google is devaluing forums now and promoting news sites instead by upping their rankings. It's very sad and unfortunate. But when I tried to look for an official announcement or article from Google about this, I couldn't find one. Can you show me an official Google announcement about its devaluation of forums in rankings? Or is this an unofficial fact that webmasters just know from results? How did you find out about it?
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
:studio_microphone: Looking for a specific feature or alternative option?
Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

mrgtb wrote:

As soon as the title or content is related to something widespread such as phpBB, the Google [bot] appears diligently. Even if the forum in question runs under a subdomain. Even when nothing much news is happening. It is amazing how quickly the Google bot shows up after I added something new.
In my old forum Bing [Bot] & Google [Bot] also come daily and stay for a long time, although hardly any new topics are created. Everything I have inserted in this sitemap was crawled by Google. (The forum is about well-known music keyboard brands. But it has few members)

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have (almost) the same username everywhere on the Internet.
More of my styles you can find in my phpBB Style Board & More My styles -3.2.10-RC2
Be the best version of yourself rather than a bad copy of someone else!
Excuse me for my English, but I learned the language by speaking to people and not at school.
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

mrgtb wrote:

Btw, I forgot to add, I'm sure Google knows how to index phpbb forums. Google is a smart AI and has no problems indexing forums like phpbb. However, the issue is whether structured data, schema markups, and HTML5 metatags boost your ranking significantly in search engines like Google. Some webmasters claim they do. For example, this top SEO expert said:

https://neilpatel.com/blog/get-started-using-schema/
One of the latest evolutions in SEO is called schema markup. This new form of optimization is one of the most powerful but least-utilized forms of SEO available today. Once you grasp the concept and method of schema markup, you can boost your website in the search engine result pages (SERPs).
He explains in the page above what schema markup and structured data is, as well as rich snippets. I think it looks like this:

Code: Select all

<title>Welcome to RVF II | Roosh V Forum</title>

<meta name="description" content="I just spent the day migrating what was left of RVF I (special thanks to @Nineteen84 for assisting me with the migration). You can see the RVF I archive at..." />

<meta property="og:description" content="I just spent the day migrating what was left of RVF I (special thanks to @Nineteen84 for assisting me with the migration). You can see the RVF I archive at https://www.rooshvforum.com/archive. It won&#039;t be online forever, so grab anything you need from there by July.

As you can see, Xenforo..." />

<meta property="twitter:description" content="I just spent the day migrating what was left of RVF I (special thanks to @Nineteen84 for assisting me with the migration). You can see the RVF I archive at https://www.rooshvforum.com/archive. It..." />

<meta property="og:url" content="https://www.rooshvforum.com/threads/welcome-to-rvf-ii.37354/" />

<link rel="canonical" href="https://www.rooshvforum.com/threads/welcome-to-rvf-ii.37354/" />

<link rel="next" href="/threads/welcome-to-rvf-ii.37354/page-2" />

<meta property="og:site_name" content="Roosh V Forum" />

<meta property="og:type" content="website" />

<meta property="og:title" content="Welcome to RVF II" />

<meta property="twitter:title" content="Welcome to RVF II" />

<meta name="theme-color" content="#185886" />
Or this:

Are any of you familiar with this? If so, does stuff like this really boost your SEO and search engine ranking in Google? Does anyone have experience with this and seen that it made a big difference?

Also, will future versions of phpbb utilize stuff like this? Has it been discussed?

That's what I'm wondering. I recently heard about all this stuff like "structured data, schema markup, and rich snippets" so I didn't know about it before either. It sounds like something new.
david63

Post by david63 »

WWu777 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:38 am
Also, will future versions of phpbb utilize stuff like this? Has it been discussed?
If it has been discussed then that discussion will have taken place on Area51 - have you checked there?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Return to “phpBB Discussion”