PhpBB vs Vbulletin vs xenforo

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Re: PhpBB vs Vbulletin vs xenforo

Post by kinerity »

I'd like to point out that these SEO discussions are deviating from the topic at hand. Please keep discussions to comparisons of the software listed. If you would like to discuss SEO, please do so in a separate topic.
Kailey Truscott - Community Team
GitHub repositories (including un-released extensions)
Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

Is this for you? Windows & Nginx & PHP & MySQL & phpBB & WordPress & Cloudflare

Content-Security-Policy: Allow using Content-Security-Policy without unsafe-inline
stevemaury wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:16 pm
I went to your board and looked for an hour or so, but did not see the women without underwear.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

That comparison
  • ignores foe lists (but values friends lists)
  • ignores moderator work completely (merge/split/move/fork topics, managing reports, approving posts...)
  • ignores polls
  • claims phpBB has a WYSIWYG editor
  • claims phpBB has a spell checker (no language indicated)
What was tested then? Given that the site is completely anonymous I don't trust it one bit - it could even be pure propaganda.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.
RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Heo32 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:41 am
I came by this recently:

https://www.topattack.com/list/forum-so ... review/155
"Assign Member Titles" you can assign member titles in phpBB. It's called "Ranks".
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | My extensions are updated regularly on github
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored
kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by kinerity »

Yeah, I wouldn't trust that one bit.
A subjective score based on our editorial discretion.
Kailey Truscott - Community Team
GitHub repositories (including un-released extensions)
Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

Something else I found:

https://imtips.co/phpbb-vs-vbulletin-why-vbulletin.html

I recall in the past someone claiming that phpBB is better-coded than the paid alternatives, but then this person claims...
vBulletin has much cleaner code
Being free with volunteers contributing vs. coding for profit to meet demand and quotas, I would think that phpBB has the cleanest code. Possible bias based on favouritism and "first bad impression", maybe, or could this guy be right?

Content-Security-Policy: Allow using Content-Security-Policy without unsafe-inline
stevemaury wrote:
I went to your board and looked for an hour or so, but did not see the women without underwear.
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

It depends on what you do you think it is a cleanest code.
1 . When I tried phpBB back in 2004 on my localhost, I had an issue of logging into the admin panel. Logging in twice was not well understood by me. I am not sure if this is still there or not, but that was the first bad impression.
LOL. Is that enough? :lol:

Not to mention all the rest of that "article". Please tell the author to post here and face the criticisms. Thanks.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
:studio_microphone: Looking for a specific feature or alternative option?
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

Heo32 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:25 am
I recall in the past someone claiming that phpBB is better-coded than the paid alternatives, but then this person claims...
You have seen this at the top of the article, yes?:

Posted on September 11, 2009, last updated on April 28, 2020
If you wish to start a forum, Vbulletin should be your last choice. ... In 2020, again phpBB is a much better choice than VBulletin.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

My extensions:
[3.2][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][RC] Show User Activity ||
[3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

https://imtips.co/gave-up-on-vbulletin.html - same author on last updated on April 28, 2020 .
Conclusion

My view is, it’s high time to move to Xenforo because Xenforo is a far better choice than vBulletin.
I have similar plans for MBAGuys and CFanatic, but only after I can manage more stability for Go4Expert.
Well, I think that this man must first of all reconcile himself... I mean make peace with himself at first.
Every other comment by my side seems to me a waste in this instance.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

3Di wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:35 am
Well, I think that this man must first of all reconcile himself... I mean make peace with himself at first.
I admire the consistency in his decisiveness. :lol:
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

Especially if done in the same exact day. :lol: :P
Mats_o

Post by Mats_o »

my 2c based on the testing I have done

Out of the box PHPBB lacks a little.
You can't paste images in a post like you can with Facebook (rather well known page) or Xen or Invision - there seems to be some kind of a workaround for this one by using mods.

The moderation tools are behind and split into multiple screens, Xen, Vbulletin and Invision allows you to do moderation directly while viewing the topic. in PHPBB you must go into modCP for some of it and some must be done in the topic. It's about the same for topic management - I have not found a work around for this one yet

Quote handling isn't up to Xen either but thats a smaller issue i think and I found a half workaround for it
STN

Post by STN »

Phpbb is the best forum software ever!

I still hold a licence to xenforo, i have moved to xf twice from phpbb over the years and then moved back to phpbb using my own conversion script. Will stick with phpbb now.

Performance, stability, seo these are the strong points of phpbb. It does lack in features in core but that's not a negative. I have realised after using so many forum softwares that i don't want bloat in the core. I hope phpbb team never succumbs to the pressure and adds bloat to the core. Phpbb is awesome as it is, if we want features, there's extensions. In fact, phpbb team should just focus on making official extensions as the core is perfect.

What also sucks about xenforo is even breathing requires money. The addon developers there are nothing more than predators. I am a dev myself although i don't really bother coding myself (moved to a different field/lost interest) and it just amazes me how for even the smallest of things, they charge 30-45$. The code is pretty substandard. Of course this is expected.

I wish there was a way i could donate to phpbb team, all the money i saved on running cheaper servers, I'd like to send some phpbb way.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

STN wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:35 pm
I hope phpbb team never succumbs to the pressure and adds bloat to the core.
One persons bloat is another persons must have feature. :lol:
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

STN wrote:
I still hold a licence to xenforo, i have moved to xf twice from phpbb over the years and then moved back to phpbb using my own conversion script. Will stick with phpbb now.
I've been a user of phpBB for 18 years now and have recently been looking into Xenforo due to the modern look and appeal, features, etc., but seeing how you, as developer, have gone back to phpBB twice, that gives me some reassurance that sticking with phpBB is the right choice and smarter decision.
STN wrote:
Performance, stability, seo these are the strong points of phpbb. It does lack in features in core but that's not a negative. I have realised after using so many forum softwares that i don't want bloat in the core. I hope phpbb team never succumbs to the pressure and adds bloat to the core. Phpbb is awesome as it is, if we want features, there's extensions. In fact, phpbb team should just focus on making official extensions as the core is perfect.
While I agree with your comments about phpBB having great performance and stability, I've read that the SEO aspect of the URLs in Xenforo helps with the priority results granted by search engines. I don't know if that is true, but what you just said is the opposite of what someone else had apparently researched and confirmed to be true.

As for performance and stability, is phpBB really measurably faster more stable from what you've seen? How is Xenforo less stable? What issues have you had with it's stability?
STN wrote:
What also sucks about xenforo is even breathing requires money. The addon developers there are nothing more than predators. I am a dev myself although i don't really bother coding myself (moved to a different field/lost interest) and it just amazes me how for even the smallest of things, they charge 30-45$. The code is pretty substandard. Of course this is expected.
I've noticed those prices as well. They are expensive and would add up quickly.

Regarding the coding, you've actually looked at the code and concluded it to be substandard for Xenforo? Would you say phpBB is somewhat better or much better in comparison?

stevemaury wrote:

Return to “phpBB Discussion”