PhpBB vs Vbulletin vs xenforo

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Toxyy

Re: PhpBB vs Vbulletin vs xenforo

Post by Toxyy »

Heo32 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:01 pm

While I agree with your comments about phpBB having great performance and stability, I've read that the SEO aspect of the URLs in Xenforo helps with the priority results granted by search engines
You'll find the exact opposite sentiment here, a lot of people here claim that the structure of the url has absolutely 0 impact on SEO, and I tend to agree. I think they look nicer and have more context clues when linked but that's about it. There is an extension that adds this capability to phpbb and it works great. Keep in mind that if they ever decide to not support it anymore, all links on your forum will break when you uninstall it, but as of now it's been intermittently updated for many years.

You said you've used phpbb for 18 years, I'm sure you're aware of extensions. Phpbb has a philosophy of minimalism in the core package. Have you really not found the lacking features in the variety of available extensions to compensate for what you like in xenforo?
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

My extensions:
[3.2][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][RC] Show User Activity ||
[3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
rxu
Extensions Development Team
Name: Ruslan

Post by rxu »

Toxyy wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:43 pm
all links on your forum will break when you uninstall it
Well, that can be more or less easily handled by appropriate rules in .htaccess so that SEO links got redirected to phpBB standard ones.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

In addition to the redirects REGEXP_REPLACE becomes your new best friend.

https://mariadb.com/kb/en/regexp_replace/
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
STN

Post by STN »

Heo32 wrote:
While I agree with your comments about phpBB having great performance and stability, I've read that the SEO aspect of the URLs in Xenforo helps with the priority results granted by search engines. I don't know if that is true, but what you just said is the opposite of what someone else had apparently researched and confirmed to be true.

I really don't want to dismiss this completely because maybe it's a ranking signal but i personally have great results with stock phpbb and i am happy. I also know several extremely popular websites that still have ugly urls and absolutely dominate sites that follow every advice these seo blogs give. Clearly, there's a lot of exaggeration about this.

Heo32 wrote:
As for performance and stability, is phpBB really measurably faster more stable from what you've seen? How is Xenforo less stable? What issues have you had with it's stability?

Xenforo eats more cpu/mem than phpbb and it's obviously due to the bloat. It's not that noticeable with a dead site but when you've traffic where smallest of things matter, you're going to see your server choke. I was running phpbb with php7.1 with older mysql, switched to xf and my server usage just shot up despite losing half the traffic i had with phpbb. I had to upgrade to latest php/mariadb/use cache and then xf got better but it still was bad than phpbb.

Heo32 wrote:
I've noticed those prices as well. They are expensive and would add up quickly.

Regarding the coding, you've actually looked at the code and concluded it to be substandard for Xenforo? Would you say phpBB is somewhat better or much better in comparison?
I meant some of the add-ons. Xf core is top-notch as can be expected. You can't really blame xf for third party add-ons. They don't have the same validation process as phpbb so of course there's going to be bad addons. Phpbb isn't infallible either despite the validation process. My site was brought to a halt because of a crap phpbb extension (stopforumspam) that kept querying huge database table over and over again bringing my beast of a dedicated server down and that extension was validated by the phpbb team here.

Neither software does third party addons well - it looks and works fine until you use it on a live site with traffic and then you notice how many bad/slow/unnecessary queries it makes and the bad coding including the security implications, at least phpbb is free so you can take a peek and it won't cost you. You buy an addon for xf and see it has pretty ghetto code than you yourself are able to write 😁 and you feel like you got ripped off. When you've a big site, you're going to painfully notice how well an addon is written.

Core of both software is top notch. There's gigantic sites of both phpbb(arstechnica) and xenforo (avforums) which is a proof that both software are very well written. Funny enough, I've heard that IPB(invision power) has serious issues with its members system when the site gets really big and i am not surprised. Was a big fan of it decades back until it just went crap with their IPS4.

Performance was a deal breaker for me because i didn't want to waste any more money on server upgrades when my current server was doing great with phpbb.
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

rxu wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:04 am
Toxyy wrote:
all links on your forum will break when you uninstall it
Well, that can be more or less easily handled by appropriate rules in .htaccess so that SEO links got redirected to phpBB standard ones.
That would work. I'm unaware if they've made a contingency htaccess for this, and I don't have the htaccess knowledge to make one myself unfortunately.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

My extensions:
[3.2][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][RC] Show User Activity ||
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Slug URls can be done without .htaccess as we do at The Studio for the KB and Extensions.

Just core code and some PHP trick.

Just the issue it would be if and when we will decide to come back, there will be the use of the .htaccess rules in case.
And the REGEXP_REPLACE of MariaDB can not be a final solution, you still need a PHP DBAL compliant script, always in case.
To request support for our extensions you can also contact me here: phpBB Studio

Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! 🚀
Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

Toxyy wrote:
You said you've used phpbb for 18 years, I'm sure you're aware of extensions. Phpbb has a philosophy of minimalism in the core package. Have you really not found the lacking features in the variety of available extensions to compensate for what you like in xenforo?
I know of extensions and formerly mods, but I've never used any of them, not once. I prefer a vanilla installation to avoid bloat, complications and potential security issues.

STN wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:09 am
Xenforo eats more cpu/mem than phpbb and it's obviously due to the bloat. It's not that noticeable with a dead site but when you've traffic where smallest of things matter, you're going to see your server choke. I was running phpbb with php7.1 with older mysql, switched to xf and my server usage just shot up despite losing half the traffic i had with phpbb. I had to upgrade to latest php/mariadb/use cache and then xf got better but it still was bad than phpbb.
That is good to know and I'm not surprised. Eye-candy and features comes with a cost. Thanks for that info.
STN wrote:
I've heard that IPB(invision power) has serious issues with its members system when the site gets really big and i am not surprised. Was a big fan of it decades back until it just went crap with their IPS4.
I was looking at IPB as well to compare their offerings vs. Xenforo and it seems like they have some nice offerings. Too bad about the issues. I'm not sure what "IPS4" means though.
STN wrote:
Performance was a deal breaker for me because i didn't want to waste any more money on server upgrades when my current server was doing great with phpbb.
Smart move. Performance is important to me as well, especially since I run phpBB on my home computer and not with a paid host.
Is this for you? Windows & Nginx & PHP & MySQL & phpBB & WordPress & Cloudflare -- Updated: October 17, 2020

Content-Security-Policy: Allow using Content-Security-Policy without unsafe-inline
stevemaury wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:16 pm
I went to your board and looked for an hour or so, but did not see the women without underwear.
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

Heo32 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:50 am
I know of extensions and formerly mods, but I've never used any of them, not once. I prefer a vanilla installation to avoid bloat, complications and potential security issues.
Extensions in the CBD have been validated by phpbb to alleviate the fear of potential security risks, as opposed to the old days of mods where that concern can be justified. As far as bloat goes, Xenforo etc include these features within their core, and as was stated by others, increases their cpu/memory accordingly. I understand the preference to avoid bloat, that is phpbb's philosophy, and why built in features of other forum software have been delegated to extensions. There are even a couple extensions in the DB under the phpbb team themselves. So if you're looking for some extra features that other forums include in their core, I would highly recommend extensions in the CBD to supplement.

My extensions:
david63

Post by david63 »

Toxyy wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:09 am
as opposed to the old days of mods where that concern can be justified.
That is not strictly true. Mods were validated in the same way as extensions are now, so the issue was only prevalent where a mod had not been validated, just as with unvalidated extensions.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

Exactly, and it was not that easy validating MODs. As it is for extensions I guess.
To request support for our extensions you can also contact me here: phpBB Studio

Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
david63

Post by david63 »

3Di wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:26 am
and it was not that easy validating MODs
Especially before Automod came along. You could spend a couple of hours just installing it!
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

Not to mention the many nights I have spent writing scripts for AutoMOD or not - as the author of my MOds...
but people think it was all easy and everything is now due. ;)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”