I have this feeling that every major version is a bit worse than the previous one. I outline some of the facts that make me think of that:
- Every ( new ) major version is heavier than the one before, something that personally I dislike. Probably Symfony Framework contributes to that.
- The fact that many functions included in the core files make the software sometimes run slow , especially if the resources are not enough. With the release of 3.2.x I have seen the speed increase. Plenty of them could be extensions.
- I also happen to think that the search functionality could do more than it does now. There are moments ( and there are a lot of them ) which I get the unpleasant message:
"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words:
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards."
This really frustrates me. I remember reading somewhere that the search function is built on a powerful system. I don't know but I think that things could be improved there.
- Upgrading or even updating to a new version is a nightmare for many administrators included myself in the past. I quite often see messages about failed updating or "The installer detected a timeout". The last is a configuration in php.ini so this is not a problem. An automated way ( by the ACP [ downloading , unzipping and updating by itself] would be the ideal ) .
- I also have the feeling that templates are quite hard coded allowing no freedom over customisation. In case something goes wrong during the customisation of the style then there is this danger of something being broken (e.g extension, functionality, etc )
Last but not least, I am fond of that prosilver template. I find it quite old fashioned , too dark for my taste and I think it's run its circle. I'm waiting anxiously to see the new template for phpbb 3.3.x
I'm waiting for your comments.