Where can I host phpBB for free?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Where can I host phpBB for free?

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

as far as the free hosts, you will be very lucky if you find one you can stick with.
over the years the free hosts ( ad supported as you said ) have tended to not last very long. that business model has simply
not worked as well as it did in the beginning. also, the free hosts rarely offer you up to date software and rarely offer you
database access so you can make backups. if the host shuts down and you don't have a database backup your board is
gone with no hope of recovery.

look, I am all for getting free things but there comes a time when if you are serious about your board/business etc., you
will have to pay for some of the things that you need to support your business.

good luck,

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
weFF
Name: Jurijs

Post by weFF »

You can always use 000webhost and install bb there. Its not fastest hosting but it does the job. Its no like im suggesting, but for me it was okey.
Random American

Post by Random American »

I would worry about how those "free" hosts make their money.
weFF
Name: Jurijs

Post by weFF »

Yea, but nobody is talking about serious projects. From the author words it sounds like "testing" mode.... And if you are not 100% you will grow and run project for years what the point of spend any money...
Random American

I was thinking about the possibility of them doing something nefarious. I was probably just being paranoid.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Random American wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:42 pm
I would worry about how those "free" hosts make their money.
Usually adverts that you will have no control over, holding your database to 'ransom' should you request it to move to a real host (and depending on the smallprint maybe having access to the memberlist in your database)
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:25 pm
and rarely offer you database access
Not really, access to phpmyadmin is common on free hosts. The email function on the other hand is frequently not available on such hosts.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-My Styles-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
HexagonHexagonRebornCleanSilverProject Durango
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Need help with styling or want me to port a style to 3.3.x etc. contact me here or here.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You could also do a bit of legwork, many, proper, hosts will give you a free first year or, at least, free hosting if you register the domain with them, that kind of thing. Google “first year free web hosting”.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
Random American

HiFiKabin wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:29 am
Usually adverts that you will have no control over, holding your database to 'ransom' should you request it to move to a real host (and depending on the smallprint maybe having access to the memberlist in your database)
Thanks for the clarification. I would be fine with one and two if it were an unimportant test site that ran phpBB, but access to the memberlist is pretty shady, and is a privacy concern.
DTMWC

Post by DTMWC »

There are tons of free hosting offers online, free domain offers too, all you have to do is make a spare email address, sign up, try, if it's rubbish, just sign up to the next, many of them don't have ad's at all, you'll find the better ones further down the search listings.

Not recommended for a proper forum but for testing out different forum software's and forum styles etcetera they can be very handy indeed.
If you use CodePen... Give @SMKS's Thank You NHS pen a like.
Random American

I just used infinityfree to set up a test board and it seems to be working fine. I cannot recommend that you use them though and as others have said, free hosts may make their money via shady means. I just used it as I have nothing to really lose.
Darth Apple

Post by Darth Apple »

Hello all,

I'm going to chime in here. I'm new to the phpBB community but I've been around some others for a very long time (in MyBB and otherwise). Been running forums for many years and phpBB is an awesome software, glad to have finally joined here. :D

What others have said before me is absolutely correct. Unfortunately, the *main* thing to watch out for on free forums are the database export options. There will come a day when you want to host your forum yourself. Most free hosts do not allow you to export your database, meaning you are forever locked into their service.

I was on forumotion for years when I first got started. I found out the hard way that you can't leave when you outgrow the service. There are ways to get off anyway, but they are complicated and extremely technical. And many forum hosts don't even have an option at all.

Really, if you're looking for a free host to get started, the *only* thing that truly matters in the end is if they allow database exports (whether paid or otherwise). Some of the smaller ones allow them, but some of the larger ones tend to restrict them. Besides that, it doesn't really matter which one you use, besides the features that they come with of course. Pick the one that looks the nicest to you and roll with it.

Free forum hosts aren't the best, but they are perfectly fine for getting started. What matters is your ability to run a community. All the features and styles are secondary, but make absolutely certain you can leave if you want to. Otherwise you'll be locked in even after you outgrow their service. Just do your research. There are a few (normally smaller ones) that allow database exports, and those are the ones you want to use. :)

Best regards,
-Darth Apple
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Darth Apple wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:48 am
I'm new to the phpBB community
Since 2013?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©