Open Record Laws

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
sj81

Open Record Laws

Post by sj81 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:10 pm

Hello,

I hope this is in the correct forum. I took the time to read the various forum descriptions and conduct a search, but couldn't find anything like this subject elsewhere.

I am developing a community (city) discussion board and am encouraging City officials to be involved. They have a concern with open record laws that dictate how they can collaborate and communicate, including electronically.

Has anyone else had to deal with this? If so, what was your strategy for implementation? If not, is there a way I can restrict the number of simultaneous logins for a specific group of people (ie. I could put City Council accounts into a group, and only permit 2 of them to be logged in at any given time)?

I believe it is very important for citizens to be able to interact with their elected government. And I've chosen phpBB to be a part of that objective. I just need a little help working around some legal concerns.

All thoughts are appreciated in advance!

-Sean

kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Re: Open Record Laws

Post by kinerity » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:15 pm

Not sure about the Open Record Laws issue. You may need to consult a lawyer in your area.
sj81 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:10 pm
is there a way I can restrict the number of simultaneous logins for a specific group of people (ie. I could put City Council accounts into a group, and only permit 2 of them to be logged in at any given time)?
This is not possible without the use of an extension. I'm not aware of any that are in development, but you are free to make a request here.
Kailey Truscott - Community Team

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:18 am

As Kinerty suggested sounds like a question for a lawyer. That said those sunshine/Open Record laws usually cover things concerning them working behind closed doors in private. Anything they would be posting could be 100% public. There is the private message system but you can disable their ability to send and receive them.

Ask them if they have Facebook accounts and how they handle posting on community pages there. ;)

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:15 pm

You mean Open Meetings Acts - decisions must be made in public. But two legislators can talk to each other in private. How would being BB members affect this? I don't see a problem, unless they decide to do all their business with PMs, which they could do with email anyway.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

sj81

Post by sj81 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:10 am

Thank you for the feedback. I have done some research specific to my state, but was curious if others have run into the same issue and how they've worked around it.
thecoalman wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:18 am
As Kinerty suggested sounds like a question for a lawyer. That said those sunshine/Open Record laws usually cover things concerning them working behind closed doors in private. Anything they would be posting could be 100% public. There is the private message system but you can disable their ability to send and receive them.

Ask them if they have Facebook accounts and how they handle posting on community pages there. ;)
I've created a separate group and set permissions so that they can only create topics, but not reply or private message. This restricts their ability to collaborate anything (short of starting a new topic for the sole purpose of responding to another topic). It's the best I've been able to come up with for now.
stevemaury wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:15 pm
You mean Open Meetings Acts - decisions must be made in public. But two legislators can talk to each other in private. How would being BB members affect this? I don't see a problem, unless they decide to do all their business with PMs, which they could do with email anyway.
Yes, same thing. But from what I have read (and from what I have been told by officials), is that if a quorum were met (in our case 3 people), it would require a public notice be sent out in advance and minutes of the meeting to be recorded and then made available to anyone. They, of course, could communicate as an individual - but even that becomes tricky with new "walking" laws.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”