EU Privacy Law Compliance

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Scanialady
Name: Annette

Re: EU Privacy Law Compliance

Post by Scanialady »

An extension may be a short-term solution. For example, when the version jumped from 3.0 to 3.1 and 3.2, experience showed us that some extensions simply died. Take a look at the ABD topics. Not every extension continues to be supported ore developed by author, not even those coming from team members. This problem would not exist if the core has the functions.
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I think if it were in the core every small change in the law would require an update, there will be more than one set of rules, all EU countries won’t be identical, it would be a nightmare. At the end of it all my opinion is that it should be down to the board owner to make sure he is up to scratch.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Scanialady

Post by Scanialady »

No, that is what is not understood in this discussion (on purpose?). The manufacturer of this software should not pretend any legal formulations at all. These are different in each country, and available via legal generators as a template for the forum operator. It's just about providing the functionalities that we can fill ourselves.
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Providing functionality (in the core) assumes responsibility.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Scanialady

Post by Scanialady »

I can not see the point. To provide the functionality to get agrees, to create board rules or my own privacy (instead of one delivered with phpBB) without changing core files, to get a check box and some other things we talked above - where do you see responsibility or more responsibility as before?
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Scanialady wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:29 am I can not see the point. To provide the functionality to get agrees, to create board rules or my own privacy (instead of one delivered with phpBB) without changing core files, to get a check box and some other things we talked above - where do you see responsibility or more responsibility as before?
Remember, as a Regulation each EU country can have its own GDPR which may or may not include some or all of other countries GDPR

So if phpBB ships with a lax GDPR how does that effect users in a country with a strict GDPR?

What happens if the lax country's GDPR is made stricter?

What happens if a board owner (knowing phpBB is shipped with GDPR in the core) is based in a strict country but does not know that there are differences between countries? He gets sued and blames phpBB for shipping a 'faulty' product.

Its a nightmare for everyone, especially as even the head of the ICO in the UK doesn't appear to know much about it (as interviewed on TV yesterday)
tojag
Name: Gregory

Post by tojag »

Scanialady wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:47 am The manufacturer of this software should not pretend any legal formulations at all. These are different in each country, and available via legal generators as a template for the forum operator. It's just about providing the functionalities that we can fill ourselves.
I agree!
Eg.
Checkbox or list of checkboxes on registering form additional text to edition - Legal agreement or consent. (Now I have done it by CPF but it is some problematical)
Checkbox or list of checkboxes on contact form with additional text to edition - Legal agreement or consent.
Deleting user account by themself, with anonymization of posts author. (There is an extension, but today is, tomorrow maybe not.)
Or other tool for anonymization. (At now I manually changing user name to anonymous and next deleting user. But maybe some data still retains in DB?)
Better account protection by using 2FA and Google Authenticator.
etc. etc.

Above is fundamental for GDPR.
I know, I know it is a lot of job.
I know that there are few people who have the will and knowledge to do it. Therefore, I am grateful to anyone who tries. But as Scanialady wrote - these basic elements should be in the core because they ensure compliance with the law, and we can not risk that today the extension is, and tomorrow there is no because the author has abandoned it.
rajpb

Post by rajpb »

GDPR is EU regulation (not directive). This mean, it works the same in all EU coutries and don't need to be approved by governements and parliaments.
So every EU country can make more restricted internal law, but GDPR is minimum for every EU country.

I'm guessing that as a result of the Facebook scandal, similar laws will be introduced in the US
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

Please move discussion to New GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) and phpBB.

Closing to prevent further comments.
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”