3.0.11 docs for developers

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Microgenius

3.0.11 docs for developers

Post by Microgenius »

Hi guys!

A friend of mine asked me to help him with his phpbb3 3.0.11. I'm a developer, but php is something new to me.

Can you show me a place where I can find some developers docs, API, etc about the application structure, function purposes, other details how this ship flies?

I tried to find something like routing, controllers, models, etc, but it doesn' look like typical MVP pattern there :)
At the same time I haven't found any docs to reduce the investigation time. Looks like the forum for this version is closed and archived, and I'm unable to ask for this there.

I hope you still have some :)
GanstaZ

Re: 3.0.11 docs for developers

Post by GanstaZ »

phpBB 3.0 is EOL & very soon 3.1 will find its end as well. Your friend really needs to move to 3.2+ branch. I don't know how soon, but 3.3 should be released in the (i hope) near future, so there is no need to be stuck in the past & get behind in coding.
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
Microgenius

Post by Microgenius »

Thanks pal, I know that his forum is obsolete.
I'm afraid it's impossible to update it — too much mods.

For now we've got a few issues there we have to fix ASAP (like users somehow can't change their email or password). After that we'll start thinking what to do with it next. As an option, we regard to rewrite the forum using some framework, like Ruby On Rails.

But it takes time, but users want to be able to change their email and passwords right now :)
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

There is no support for 3.0.x, other than to help to upgrade it. MODs will make no difference in upgrading, although their functionality may be lost.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Microgenius wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:16 am Thanks pal, I know that his forum is obsolete.
Actually, upgrading is the easy part.
All you have to do is to revert to the default prosilver style (remove all other styles), remove any database modifications and there's an STK around for that. After using that you should be able to update to 3.2.1 (just to be on the safe site, not 3.2.2) using the instructions in https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... /upgrade3/. Should there still be a leftover from a modification then there's a modission which can clean up the 3.2.1.

Take backups before changing anything.
And you could clean and upgrade on a personal webserver (localhost).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Big Mac
Name: David Shepheard

Post by Big Mac »

Microgenius wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:16 am Thanks pal, I know that his forum is obsolete.

For now we've got a few issues there we have to fix ASAP (like users somehow can't change their email or password). After that we'll start thinking what to do with it next. As an option, we regard to rewrite the forum using some framework, like Ruby On Rails.

But it takes time, but users want to be able to change their email and passwords right now :)
We just went through this.

We were planning to move our 3.0 forum to another server and then try to find the time to research the best way to upgrade from 3.0 to 3.2.

Events overcame us and our forum locked up, forcing us to upgrade to 3.2 under sub-optimal circumstances. We got help doing this, and are most of the way through stabilising our forum on 3.2. It has been pretty hard work, but it needed to be done. Ideally, we should have done this earlier.

You need to go talk to your friend and put then straight. There is no "It is impossible to update the forum". They need to take their head out of the sand over this.

Your best case scenario is that something will go wrong and you will be forced to do a hasty upgrade, like we did.

Your worst case scenario is that your friend could actually loose that forum.

3.0.x is not supported. There are no bug fixes coming out. The spammers and scammers know this and they are going to try to exploit any weaknesses that get found to try to take over older forums. With 3.1 or 3.2 the phpBB team would help you block security holes. With 3.0, there is nobody to help you.

Band aid solutions are not going to help in the long term.

And if you come up with a bunch of non-standard hacks to try to keep 3.0 chugging along, you could introduce security flaws or do something that starts churning up your SQL database and not realise what is happening until it's too late to fix it.

One day. Maybe not today and maybe not tomorrow, your friend's forum is going to get a problem so serious that they are going to be forced to move forward. And if you have hacked your friends 3.0 install so much, that nobody can understand what you have done, you might even have problems getting the sort of assistance that my forum got.

If you have the time to even consider reading all the 3.0 documentation and then rewriting the code for phpBB, you have the time to research an upgrade.

(And if you have the time and skills to code for forums, I would suggest you look at Area 51 and join the people building 3.3.x, rather than work on a bespoke 3.0.x offshoot that is actually more likely to put your friend in a situation where nobody is able to help him upgrade to a later version of phpBB. That way your friend can be using your forum improvements and getting support from the official phpBB forums.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Microgenius

Post by Microgenius »

Thanks, guys, you're totally right — it has to be upgraded ASAP.

I researched it a little, and found out that the Forum has important customization we must keep — a 'hide' tags. There are a lot of other custom tags, like 'spoiler', or 'best answer', but they are not so important ath the moment.

Another trouble is Joomla, which is a main part of the website, and the Forum works like a nested app. I found a Joomla module 'p8pBB bridge' inside, and some reWrite rules to work with it:

Code: Select all

# p8pbb
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} /forum(\/?)$
RewriteRule (.*) /forums [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} /forum/index.php
RewriteRule (.*) /forums?%{QUERY_STRING} [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} /forum/ucp.php
RewriteRule (.*) /forums/user?%{QUERY_STRING} [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} /forum/viewforum.php
RewriteRule (.*) /forums/forum?%{QUERY_STRING} [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} /forum/viewtopic.php
RewriteRule (.*) /forums/topic?%{QUERY_STRING} [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} /forum/memberlist.php
RewriteRule (.*) /forums/members?%{QUERY_STRING} [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} /forum/report.php
RewriteRule (.*) /forums/report?%{QUERY_STRING} [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} /forum/posting.php
RewriteRule (.*) /forums/post?%{QUERY_STRING} [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} /forum/mcp.php
RewriteRule (.*) /forums/moderator?%{QUERY_STRING} [R=301,L] 
Actually, I'm not sure that the rules are all correct, probably this is the issue why users are unable to change their passwords and emails.

Now I installed the current state of the website on my local machine. Will try to upgrade its copy first :)

Thanks!
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

you will need an up to date bridge to work with the updated version of phpbb.
those "tags" are called bbcodes and if any of the ones you have now do not work with the new version of phpbb you can certainly create ones new ones that will.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”