phpBB & Structured Data JSON-LD (Google search)

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Xymox2017

phpBB & Structured Data JSON-LD (Google search)

Post by Xymox2017 »

I'm wondering if it is possible to have my forum displayed in Google search results having a nice visual card.

Have a look at this Google search result for a specific site:

Search for tweakers.net.

The results shows a visual card at the right having logo, site information for the site.

Looking at the Google help pages on Structured Data, there are many options to instruct Google search to display extra stuff in the search results, like:
  • Logo
  • Corporate info
  • Carousel
  • Review
  • Local business
  • Breadcrumbs
etc. etc.

So, I'm not talking about getting higher rankings for my forum, but this is more a question about getting my forum better presented in the search results.

Looking at the markup examples, I'm not sure how to implement this in phpBB. Where to put it?
I could not find much info on this particular topic, though there are threads here to be found on SEO page rankings.

Example on a logo:

Code: Select all

{
  "@context": "http://schema.org",
  "@type": "Organization",
  "url": "http://www.example.com",
  "logo": "http://www.example.com/images/logo.png"
}
Nice would be some clear examples how to tweak phpBB core to enhance it to get the wanted result in the search results.
(any extensions out there?)
Last edited by Xymox2017 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
AmigoJack

Re: phpBB & Structured Data (Google search)

Post by AmigoJack »

Xymox2017 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:17 amLooking at the markup examples, I'm not sure how to implement this
How about linking to it in the first place? Also keep in mind Google is not the only search engine and it is unlikely phpBB will implement vendor specifics.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Xymox2017

Post by Xymox2017 »

AmigoJack wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:21 am
Xymox2017 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:17 amLooking at the markup examples, I'm not sure how to implement this
How about linking to it in the first place? Also keep in mind Google is not the only search engine and it is unlikely phpBB will implement vendor specifics.
You mean linking to the Google examples (info) ?

Here it is:

https://developers.google.com/search/do ... tured-data

From there the several chapters on the features, like the Logo one:

https://developers.google.com/search/do ... types/logo

As for vendor specifics: I know. But Google is a leading vendor and I would like to provide it the best visuals when searching my site.
I can imagine this will not be part of the phpBB software out-of-the-box, but knowing how to tweak the default templates to add the needed structured data is the answer I seek.
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

AmigoJack wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:21 am
It's not vendor specific. Take a look. Other search engines are parsing this markup too. It's JSON for Linking Data
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Dog Cow wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:18 pmIt's not vendor specific. Take a look.
Nobody specifically called the name until you did, but instead only "Google", hence I assumed it being vendor specific. And without a link I could also not have had a look retroactively. It would help if Xymox2017 would change the topic title to mention JSON-LD specifically. So it's the next iteration of what RDF and HTML Microdata focused on already.

Dog Cow wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:18 pmOther search engines are parsing this markup too.
I see that nowhere mentioned, neither on JSON-LD's homepage, nor Wikipedia articles.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
tojag
Name: Gregory

Post by tojag »

Xymox2017 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:17 am I'm wondering if it is possible to have my forum displayed in Google search results having a nice visual card.

Have a look at this Google search result for a specific site:

Search for tweakers.net.

The results shows a visual card at the right having logo, site information for the site.
I do not know if I understood correctly which information you are writing about but I don't see it on the right for site tweakers.net. I see only few categories below first link.
For my own site google display categories below first link too. And I do nothing for this result.
But I see info on the right for phpBB site
https://www.google.com/search?q=phpbb.com

Has phpBB site this additional information?

Additionally google display a searchbox for fast searching in some website below the first link. I see that searchbox for my main website and for phpBB site. For my another website I added some info direct from 'google search console' but this website is not popular and google does not display additional info, categories, searchbox in search result.
So, I think that is result of the site popularity.
Please check your site in Google Search Console. You can check the structure of the site or problems from the point of view of the Google search engine. You can also add information about the site.
david63

Post by david63 »

The way that I am reading what the OP is wanting to have displayed by Google is more related, and possible, where you have static pages. If your board is part of a site that has static pages, such as a "Home" page then it is probably quite easy to achieve but if the board is the site then it will be dynamic and either not possible or certainly a lot more difficult to achieve.

I may, however, have misunderstood how this works with Google (and I have no idea about other search engines) and have the wrong idea.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Xymox2017

Post by Xymox2017 »

tojag wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:52 am But I see info on the right for phpBB site
https://www.google.com/search?q=phpbb.com

Has phpBB site this additional information?
Yes. That extra information at the right side in the search result for phpBB website is exactly what I mean.
This info can be added to our websites using the mentioned micro-structured-data elements.

This is the logo, the details, the extra links provided etc etc.

These extra additions to our phpBB powered forums would be very nice.
Ger

Post by Ger »

Xymox2017 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:03 am Yes. That extra information at the right side in the search result for phpBB website is exactly what I mean.
You mean this?

If I'm not mistaken, this is simply grabbed from Wikipedia. It searches your localised Wikipedia version for a lemma about your search query. If found, the first paragraph is grabbed and presented with some (according to Google) related subjects.

Other than having a Wikipedia item about your site, there's nothing you can do to influence this.

Unless I'm mistaken of course. ;)
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-

Return to “phpBB Discussion”