Three features you would like to see in 3.3.

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
koraldon

Three features you would like to see in 3.3.

Post by koraldon »

Just finished updating from 3.1 to 3.2, so as a game, here are the three things I would like to see most in 3.3:
- One click update for phpbb. While the current process is not too complicated, it is cumbersome and takes time with room for mistakes. Really missed my joomla one-click update ;)

- Install/update extension by uploading a single (zip) file / one click update for extensions. I had ~20 extensions and it was a slug to update them all (Disable, delete, upload, enable). That's before Installing new extensions.

- Built-in mentions. I miss this so much in phpbb and as a basic tenet should be in core. The current extension has conflicts with other extensions, which obviously would not happen if it was in core.

One thing I would hate to see in 3.3. is breaking of styles/extensions from 3.2.
So, I don't know if 3.3. is coming but I hope it will come soon even if not everything is ready - unless of course it will not be compatible with current styles/extension, than I will probably ignore it until I have looooonnngg time off.
Last edited by koraldon on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david63

Re: Three features you would like to see in 3.3.

Post by david63 »

koraldon wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:18 pm One click update for phpbb. While the current process is not too complicated, it is cumbersome and takes time with room for mistakes. Really missed my joomla one-click update
Is scheduled to be in 3.3
koraldon wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:18 pm One thing I would hate to see in 3.3. is breaking of styles/extensions from 3.2.
You will probably be disappointed - there is planned a new style which will be totally different to the 3.2 style and, from what little I know, will not be compatible. I have no knowledge as to whether there will be backward compatibility with a prosilver style - if not then most extensions will not work.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You may also be disappointed if you expect any features added because of this discussion topic. If you really want those items you should post in ideas or post some RFCs at Area51.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

2FA

2FA

2FA

That''s what I want in a nutshell. :lol:

I mean, it shouldn't be that hard to implement an Authy API extension or built-in facility for the API key. Most of my accounts use 2FA up to and including my domain provider. On my WordPress website I installed an Authy plugin and got it all set up within 10 minutes.

2FA has its downfalls, but adding another layer is better than nothing. Especially in a world where it seems you read about database breaches on an almost daily basis. IMO it seems many people just deploy phpBB with next to no understanding of how to secure their website. So at least with a built-in 2FA facility, if their database gets hacked and the hacker has some decent GPU bCrypt cracking power, their passwords aren't exposed. And I have read many people don't even use good passwords. I seen a word list of the most common used passwords and it was ridiculous.
Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
The nature of my chosen username
:ugeek:
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

If I’m buying a hosting account I would expect the host to have all his security in place. It’s not down to the customer to make the server safe.
    " - Harmony Cobel
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

Some of the top companies probably have the utmost in server security, but despite that database leaks can and will happen. Especially if it's just a small time hosting company that runs your crappy little website. 2FA is being used all over and it's something that is needed for this forum software. Even Xenforo has 2FA.
Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

Comparison wont do nothing. If it was that simple to add it, it would be available by now. If someone thinks it's easy, then make a move & implement it.
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
Jodi-86

Post by Jodi-86 »

John connor wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:01 pmEven Xenforo has 2FA.
Is Xenforo free ?
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

Jodi-86 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:59 pm
John connor wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:01 pmEven Xenforo has 2FA.
Is Xenforo free ?
Nope, and it's an asinine platform. I don't recommend it.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
Wes of StarArmy

Post by Wes of StarArmy »

John connor wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:54 pm Nope, and it's an asinine platform. I don't recommend it.
I've been a big fan of phpBB since around 2004 but I moved to XF back in 2013 because at the time phpBB3 3.1 was taking eons to arrive (we'd been waiting for over 4 years for it) and by that point phpBB 3.0 had become severely outdated compared to competitors who had started using AJAX and alert systems first. With no clear timeline for 3.1 to arrive, I jumped ship and ported my forum. I'm not going to argue the reasons why you're wrong about XF because I don't want to sound promotional, but I will say I think you're mistaken.
koraldon wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:18 pm Just finished updating from 3.1 to 3.2, so as a game, here are the three things I would like to see most in 3.3:
- One click update for phpbb. While the current process is not too complicated, it is cumbersome and takes time with room for mistakes. Really missed my joomla one-click update ;)

- Install/update extension by uploading a single (zip) file / one click update for extensions. I had ~20 extensions and it was a slug to update them all (Disable, delete, upload, enable). That's before Installing new extensions.

- Built-in mentions. I miss this so much in phpbb and as a basic tenet should be in core. The current extension has conflicts with other extensions, which obviously would not happen if it was in core.
The suggested features in the OP are all great ideas, especially 2FA for security and one-click upgrades for the forums and add-ons. I'd like to see phpBB get feature parity with some of the other board systems out there like XF, WBB, etc. Implementing new features would go a long way.

Here's my favorite ideas for phpBB3.3:
  • WYSIWYG posting! (Why am I still using bbcode for this list? :P)
  • The ability to paste images directly into posts with Control+V. This is so nice on forums that have it.
  • Push notifications
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

I can't stand WYSIWYG posting. It carries over the font and color of the text you copy and it's annoying. I'd rather edit my text the way I want it with BBcode.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

For once JC I agree with you. My main concern is all the bloat that gets left behind with "WYSIWYG" editors in general. I'm still of the belief that BBCode is the correct way to go and it's the safest method for bulletin boards.

Push notifications? Nah, I visit my boards(s) regularly, that's what they're there for. If everybody sat waiting for notifications to pop up nobody would ever visit.
    " - Harmony Cobel
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Trouble with these kinds of topics is you'll always get things people do and don't want for their own specific reasons. You could start one on 'three features you would not like to see in 3.3' and after 6 months or so they'll probably both have the same features mentioned in them :)
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Wes of StarArmy

Post by Wes of StarArmy »

I've come back to these boards with good intentions to start helping people with phpBB like I used to and to catch up on what I've missed while I've been using another (commercial) forum software, and as I look around the ideas section and the suggestions forum, and in the responses above, I'm seeing a recurring theme: I know this is hard to hear so I apologize for any hurt feelings, but I think phpBB has a serious cultural problem of telling people how to use their forum that's used as a club to hit anyone who suggests new features, and that this is what is holding some development back and causing phpBB to lose market-share.

Example 1: WYSIWYG

When people ask for WYSWYG here, which has been happening since way back in phpBB2, often argument against it is basically "Well, I don't like it." Look, the people who post on phpBB are generally admins and power users who know how coding works. But the average forum Joe user is probably going to be used to formatting in Microsoft Word (i.e. visually) and their needs are not the same as ours. To paraphrase that fireworks stand scene in Joe Dirt, it's not about what you like, it's about the consumer.

When people ask for WYSIWYG they're probably asking for the option, not to completely replace the traditional phpBB posting method. The other forum I'm using now gives users both WYSIWYG and BBode options and they can just chose which they prefer. Choice is good! Now I can accommodate more types of users.

"Why not both" - little girl in Taco commercial

Example 2: Anonymize Moderation on Post Edit Time line

In this idea thread, it's suggested that moderator edits be changed to "moderator" instead of specific user names. Instead of considering this as a configurable option for admins who don't want their moderators to get harassed (it happens) some of the responses are basically "the solution is to run your forum the way I run it."

Example 3: This Thread
Push notifications? Nah, I visit my boards(s) regularly, that's what they're there for. If everybody sat waiting for notifications to pop up nobody would ever visit.
A lot of my users are really big on email notifications, to the point where if they don't get an email (due to a mail system error or something), they don't check the forum. But everyone's got smartphones now and email has become a unwanted middleman between my forum and their phone's notification system. The point is that how you use your forum isn't true for everyone and we need to anticipate future (or current) trends better.

Summary

In summary, (and please don't take this as an insult because it's not intended to be one) I feel like you guys attitudes are stifling innovation and I'd like to see phpBB be more receptive to new ideas. I love phpBB and I've been with you guys for a long time, but I've also watched as phpBB has been slowly eclipsed by other forum softwares in terms of capabilities and user experience. To reverse this trend, we on the phpBB forums just need to be more encouraging instead of disparaging. Instead of "that idea isn't any good," how about "here's how we can make this workable." There's been huge improvements with 3.1 and 3.2 and if we want phpBB to thrive we're going to need bigger and better options and capabilities for 3.3!
david63

Post by david63 »

Wes of StarArmy wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:05 pm When people ask for WYSIWYG they're probably asking for the option, not to completely replace the traditional phpBB posting method. The other forum I'm using now gives users both WYSIWYG and BBode options and they can just chose which they prefer. Choice is good! Now I can accommodate more types of users.
The majority of people on this board are not against a WYSIWYG editor as an option - the problem is that those who have been working on this for some years now cannot get it to work with the quotes system in phpBB. If you want all the details the nip over to area51 where there is all the discussion.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here

Return to “phpBB Discussion”