Three features you would like to see in 3.3.

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
Wes of StarArmy

Re: Three features you would like to see in 3.3.

Post by Wes of StarArmy »

Interesting to hear David. Thanks for this informative reply.

I would "like" your post if I could. Maybe we'll see that as a 3.3 feature? :P
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

There's an extension for that. :lol:
Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
The nature of my chosen username
:ugeek:
david63

Post by david63 »

John connor wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 3:39 am There's an extension for that. :lol:
But from what I last read it does not fully work with nested quotes
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Wes of StarArmy wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:19 pmI would "like" your post if I could. Maybe we'll see that as a 3.3 feature?
Heaven forbid.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

Mick wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:12 am
Wes of StarArmy wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:19 pmI would "like" your post if I could. Maybe we'll see that as a 3.3 feature?
Heaven forbid.
Yeah, when you are used to a platform called Xenforo that tries to copy social media, you expect it. Frankly, I think Xenforo is geared more towards Millennials. That's my take every time I interact with forums that use that paid-for crap.
Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
Wes of StarArmy

Forums are social media. Some forums are better social media than others. Millennials are currently people with ages around 17 to 36, which is the core demographic of probably more than half of all forums. It is important for phpBB to evolve to meet user expectations. Likes are great. They provide positive feedback to people who post, which in turn encourages more posting, and it cuts down on one-liner, minimal content posts like "Agreed" which is better for SEO.
LaxSlash1993

Post by LaxSlash1993 »

John connor wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:02 pmFrankly, I think Xenforo is geared more towards Millennials.
Hey now, we're not all that trendy... :lol:

I would love 2fa, coupled with a group setting/permission to force it on users within that group with an optional per-user override.
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

LaxSlash1993 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:22 am Hey now, we're not all that trendy... :lol:
:lol: I guess I just beat the millennial epoch for I am 37. :mrgreen: But I am pretty trendy, at least I think so. I wear bowling shirts and cargo pants. Sometimes an occasional Hawaiian shirt. I should have my GTA San Andreas avatar redone to reflect my trendiness. :lol: :D :lol:
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
Wes of StarArmy

Two-factor authentication is best practice and it makes no sense for a forum software not to have it because a forum software's reputation, in terms of security, is very important. On my board I force 2FA for all admins and global moderators as part of my security practices, which are listed on my privacy policy as part of how we protect people's personal data.
tojag
Name: Gregory

Post by tojag »

1. 2FA of course :) If someone has not yet voted, please vote here.

2. Quoting moderation reports to reporters. Usually I reply to the reporters if I reject the report. One small button is missing as with every post - "PM to the author of the report".

3. Enforcing password change for selected groups. Eg. in some countries this is a legal requirement for admins. But I do not want to use the built-in function because it covers everyone, which is inconvenient for ordinary users and not required by law.

Regards
LaxSlash1993

Post by LaxSlash1993 »

Wes of StarArmy wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:41 am Two-factor authentication is best practice and it makes no sense for a forum software not to have it because a forum software's reputation, in terms of security, is very important. On my board I force 2FA for all admins and global moderators as part of my security practices, which are listed on my privacy policy as part of how we protect people's personal data.
DR is also important. You should have one account that's an admin without 2FA being enabled.
tojag wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 12:29 pm 3. Enforcing password change for selected groups. Eg. in some countries this is a legal requirement for admins. But I do not want to use the built-in function because it covers everyone, which is inconvenient for ordinary users and not required by law.
Maybe a "group security options" for each individual phpBB group with an option to exempt certain users of that group in general would be nice? Password complexity, max age, old password retention, 2FA Requirement settings, etc...
tojag

Post by tojag »

LaxSlash1993 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:09 pm Maybe a "group security options" for each individual phpBB group with an option to exempt certain users of that group in general would be nice? Password complexity, max age, old password retention, 2FA Requirement settings, etc...
Would be nice :) I manage 8 sites supported by joomla and 2 serwer with DirectAdmin. Can't imagine it without 2FA.
Wes of StarArmy wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:41 am Two-factor authentication is best practice and it makes no sense for a forum software not to have it because a forum software's reputation, in terms of security, is very important. On my board I force 2FA for all admins and global moderators as part of my security practices, which are listed on my privacy policy as part of how we protect people's personal data.
But I see that your site stararmy works on xenforo not phpbb. If You have another site supported by phpBB, please tell us what extension do you use for 2FA. I need it! 2FA with authenticator soft eg. Google Authenticator is the best solution what was invented for everyone without costs.
tojag

Post by tojag »

Today I enabled 2FA in phpMyAdmin. Starting from v.4.8, phpMyAdmin supports 2FA.
So, now I have 2FA in the Direct Admin Panel, phpMyAdmin, Joomla. Only phpBB remained in my system without this security.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

are you having problems with people/hackers being able to access your phpbb in some way? no, I don't think so. If phpbb were having security issues I would say maybe this was something to worry about. however, as far as I know there are none so why worry about something when there is nothing to worry about.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Ger

Post by Ger »

Well, 2FA isn't really about security of the current phpBB login system itself, that's actually fine as it is. AFAIK it's never been hacked.

2FA is securing the bypasses, e.g. when your email account is hacked, somebody resetting your phpBB account linked to that email etc. Or simply somebody guessing your password or when it's retrieved through a MITM attack, a keylogger or just watching over your shoulder while you type it. 2FA is simply extending the "something you know" (password) with a "something you have" (your phone). The combination of those two required to login makes it way more difficult to breach it.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-

Return to “phpBB Discussion”