Connect between phphbb and a c++ software

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
yanivush

Connect between phphbb and a c++ software

Post by yanivush »

Hello
I have a software that developed with borland c++ .
i want to connect the software to the forum i setup through phpbb 3.0

how do i do that ?

I mean, a user log in to the software, and in the software i want to have a button that open another window (of the forum based on phpbb) and already log in automatic to the group in forum which the user is belongs to. Is it possible to do that ?
CHItA
Development Team Member
Development Team Member

Re: Connect between phphbb and a c++ software

Post by CHItA »

It is possible but not really straight forward. There is no API to do that currently, so what you could do is to authenticate the user against the phpBB account, and if the login was successful send a request with the login data to phpBB and save the session ID. Then open the page with the session ID. Frankly, this is a fairly dirty solution.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

yanivush wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:50 amI have a software that developed with borland c++ .
Has or was?

yanivush wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:50 amIs it possible to do that ?
Depends on where both softwares run, but since you mention "window" I guess the program runs client-side and your phpBB installation runs server-side. In that case all you have to do is what an internet browser does: sending HTTP requests and parsing its responses. Which I don't think is "dirty" and to my experience is always less limited/error prone than what a website offers as an API (which is talking thru HTTP again anyway).
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

yanivush wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:50 amto the forum i setup through phpbb 3.0
Support for 3.0 has ended and 3.1 will be going the same way on July 1st so, if you blow up your board by playing with core files or whatever, there will be no support for a 3.0 board. It’s hardly worthwhile upgrading to 3.1 now so I suggest you upgrade to 3.2.2 before you start any of this as you’ll probably have to do it all over again when you do eventually upgrade anyway.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
tojag
Name: Gregory

Post by tojag »

If you are using the C ++ Builder, try using the embedded http browser component. If you actually use C ++ and create windows manually, it may be better to use a direct connection to the database, but then your application must provide all forum functions.
Let's also think about how TapaTalk works. Maybe you want to do something like that.
In principle, the programming language does not matter, most provide the appropriate functions.
I will be happy to find out how you succeeded.
It would be interesting to have an application that supports your own forum. I would offer it in the Google Play store so that users can use it instead of TapaTalk.
Good luck!
yanivush

Post by yanivush »

AmigoJack wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:01 am
yanivush wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:50 amI have a software that developed with borland c++ .
Has or was?

yanivush wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:50 amIs it possible to do that ?
Depends on where both softwares run, but since you mention "window" I guess the program runs client-side and your phpBB installation runs server-side. In that case all you have to do is what an internet browser does: sending HTTP requests and parsing its responses. Which I don't think is "dirty" and to my experience is always less limited/error prone than what a website offers as an API (which is talking thru HTTP again anyway).

Can you explain what did you mean ?
Can you give an example ?
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

I asked a question and made an assumption - since you full quoted my post and neiter answered nor verified any of that I don't know to which part(s) you refer to, so please elaborate on what I should explain and to what I should give an example.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
yanivush

Post by yanivush »

AmigoJack wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:57 am I asked a question and made an assumption - since you full quoted my post and neiter answered nor verified any of that I don't know to which part(s) you refer to, so please elaborate on what I should explain and to what I should give an example.
i meant how to get SID and go to forum in browser?
Basically, how to embed , how to insert the forum, inside my software
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

yanivush wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:17 amhow to get SID
It is in every HTTP response, so you "get" it always. Query the index of your board and you'll get (amongst other data) the current SID.

yanivush wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:17 amgo to forum in browser?
Your program becomes the browser by communicating thru HTTP. Browsers are (just like games and media players) only programs, too - they've been programmed thru code.

yanivush wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:17 amhow to embed , how to insert the forum, inside my software
You don't "embed" or "insert" your board, your program will communicate with your board. The board and your program are two different softwares, why would one wanto to merge one into the other?

Return to “phpBB Discussion”