Safe Image hosting?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
lavalamp213

Safe Image hosting?

Post by lavalamp213 » Sat May 19, 2018 7:04 am

My question is about using imgbb as an image host and connecting it to my board. Apparently, according to them, it's possible:
https://imgbb.com/mod

The thing is, I do not want to subject my board to the problems that postimage (imgur etc) has caused on so many forums with it's sudden dropping of everyone's images, etc.

I am currently using the "Inline images as attachment" extension and it works nicely but it is VERY tweaky and the slightest thing (for example clicking "Preview" or trying to delete or move an attachment after it's been submitted) causes the attachments to go haywire and the only cure is to completely start again with a new post. I have posted about this in the forum for that ext a couple of times and have gotten no response unfortunately.

One huge advantage posting as attachments is, I don't have to rely on a 3rd (or 4th or 5th) party image host. But the tweakiness is more than people want to deal with and my forum posts a lot of images. I have been recommended imgbb, but I am not sure about it and can't find any info to tell me if they are hosting on postimage like so many do.

I would appreciate ANY help on this issue. It's a very visible issue on my site, literally, and I would love to solve it somehow.

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Re: Safe Image hosting?

Post by david63 » Sat May 19, 2018 7:24 am

My advice would be to buy more space on your hosting account and host your own images/attachments - that way you are total control.

Nobody knows how long a third party will be in existence or how long it will be before they change their T&Cs
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 » Sat May 19, 2018 8:13 am

david63 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 7:24 am
My advice would be to buy more space on your hosting account and host your own images/attachments - that way you are total control.

Nobody knows how long a third party will be in existence or how long it will be before they change their T&Cs
I have "unmetered" space on my hosting account.

And by letting people post their pics as attachments, as I am presently, am I not hosting those images?

Or, are you saying there is a way to allow people to upload their pics directly to my /image file and then use the image icon to post them?

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sat May 19, 2018 8:24 am

david63 wrote:
My advice would be to buy more space on your hosting account and host your own images/attachments - that way you are total control
Indeed, a user at my host asked how much he could store with the default 25GB on their “Starter Package” (first year free) account.

This was the approximation:
  • 6,000 songs
  • 7,000 photos
  • 100 hours of video
  • 125,000 Word Documents
  • 25,000 PowerPoint Presentations
  • 200,000 spreadsheets
(note that they mean 25 GB can be one of these, not all of them collectively)
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 » Sat May 19, 2018 9:08 am

Mick wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 8:24 am
david63 wrote:
My advice would be to buy more space on your hosting account and host your own images/attachments - that way you are total control
Indeed, a user at my host asked how much he could store with the default 25GB on their “Starter Package” (first year free) account.
[/size]
It's what I want to do, host all the images myself.

But how can the forum members get their images to my server, as images, that they can then post using the image icon? Is that possible?

Because right now, the only option is to post pics as attachments and that is leaving a bit to be desired functionality-wise as I described above.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Sat May 19, 2018 9:21 am

How about using the Gallery extension. That way people can upload images, and then link them into their posts using the image url within [img] tags

lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 » Sat May 19, 2018 9:58 am

HiFiKabin wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 9:21 am
How about using the Gallery extension. That way people can upload images, and then link them into their posts using the image url within [img] tags
Interesting. So 2 questions:

1. Where are the Gallery images stored? I thought it used a 3rd party image host, but maybe I am wrong.
2. If I linked to an image in the gallery, how would it appear in the post, as a thumbnail image or just a link?

Thanks for your help.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Sat May 19, 2018 10:04 am

They are stored on your own server, and for any more information you will have to ask the Extensions author. I have not had any experience with it.

lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 » Sat May 19, 2018 10:11 am

HiFiKabin wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 10:04 am
They are stored on your own server, and for any more information you will have to ask the Extensions author. I have not had any experience with it.
Thank you. I will do that.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Sat May 19, 2018 10:31 am

Mick wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 8:24 am
This was the approximation:
  • 6,000 songs
  • 7,000 photos
  • 100 hours of video
  • 125,000 Word Documents
  • 25,000 PowerPoint Presentations
  • 200,000 spreadsheets
For the photos that is a very conservative estimate. If you are using plupload and setting the max dimensions to something like 2000px*2000px it might be 500KB with the thumb so it's closer to 50,000 images. The audio estimate would be a medium quality MP3 about five minutes in length. The video is going to be all over the place. In addition to time the codec, resolution and bitrate are all determining factors. 1 hour of a bluray quality video is around 25GB/hour. The estimate they are giving is for something of lower but acceptable quality video for the web. As for the others that's like trying to estimate the size of a database.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”