New GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) and phpBB

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
rajpb

Re: New GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) and phpBB

Post by rajpb »

CHItA wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 7:32 pm Yeah, and nobody will comply with GDPR that doesn't do business in the EU and the EU cannot do anything about it (just apply the same logic if the US would try to force a speeding ticket on you because you drove 130 in Poland on the highway or 200 in Germany). Probably that is why.
Well, EU can't force You to apply GDPR in phpbb. But it can force EU citizens to not use programs which have no GDPR applications. So if You don't apply GDPR it is possible that all phpbb forums in EU will be closed.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

rajpb wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:22 am
CHItA wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 7:32 pm Yeah, and nobody will comply with GDPR that doesn't do business in the EU and the EU cannot do anything about it (just apply the same logic if the US would try to force a speeding ticket on you because you drove 130 in Poland on the highway or 200 in Germany). Probably that is why.
Well, EU can't force You to apply GDPR in phpbb. But it can force EU citizens to not use programs which have no GDPR applications. So if You don't apply GDPR it is possible that all phpbb forums in EU will be closed.
Really?

Where can I read about of this new rule?
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
rajpb

Post by rajpb »

3Di wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:26 am Where can I read about of this new rule?
What new rule?
Officials may impose high financial penalties on entities using programs that do not meet GDPR. What's new?
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

rajpb wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:30 am
What new rule?
Officials may impose high financial penalties on entities using programs that do not meet GDPR. What's new?
Ah, I see where you are about.
No news in fact, has been already discussed together with the fact "entities" (read phpBB based Board's admins) should/must use some kind of extension devoted to, since has been stated multiple times phpBB itself is not bound to accomplish to all rules.

Looks we are rounding in circles here, in fact IMO.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
rajpb

Post by rajpb »

These may be extensions, but if they are not official extensions, there will be a problem related to any upgrade and possible incompatibility. Unofficial extensions can be abandoned, which can cause problems if they do not meet the requirements. In this situation, the only thing that can be done is to close the forum.
tojag
Name: Gregory

Post by tojag »

rajpb we have to wait for David63 extension. On the German forum, people are more interested in this problem because they are from the EU. Unfortunately, it's hard for me to read German even with a translator. For German lang the Deepl.com is probably a little better than the google translator. So I'm waiting what will happen here https://www.phpbb.de/community/viewtopi ... 9&t=241354
Regards
LaxSlash1993

Post by LaxSlash1993 »

rajpb wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:30 am
What new rule?
No they can't, not if that entity doesn't own a building in the EU.
rajpb

Post by rajpb »

LaxSlash1993 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:13 pm No they can't, not if that entity doesn't own a building in the EU.
It is obvious that EU residents live in the EU.
I write it again:
rajpb wrote:Well, EU can't force You to apply GDPR in phpbb. But it can force EU citizens to not use programs which have no GDPR applications. So if You don't apply GDPR it is possible that all phpbb forums in EU will be closed.
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

GDPR can't force anyone to stop using phpbb & fear based comments wont solve anything.
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
Ger

Post by Ger »

LaxSlash1993 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:13 pm No they can't, not if that entity doesn't own a building in the EU.
EU (like most countries/federations) enforces it's law on any party that targets an EU audience. So basically, if your board targets for instance Italian chefs, your board has to comply to EU law. But if you are just a board chatting about whatever general topic in a non-EU specific language (like English or Spanish for example) you aren't targeting EU citizens. They might visit your board, but unless you get a significant percentage of users from the EU the EU laws won't be enforced.

(there are some specific exceptions for this, but those apply to only a very small percentage of websites in the world)
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
Scanialady
Name: Annette

Post by Scanialady »

tojag wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:53 am rajpb we have to wait for David63 extension. On the German forum, people are more interested in this problem because they are from the EU. Unfortunately, it's hard for me to read German even with a translator. For German lang the Deepl.com is probably a little better than the google translator. So I'm waiting what will happen here https://www.phpbb.de/community/viewtopi ... 9&t=241354
Regards
You're right. We are more interested in a solution than interested in the reasons why this is all stupid and why it can not affect us all. :lol:
3Di wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:38 am Looks we are rounding in circles here, in fact IMO.
You're right too. Around and around and around and around.
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Ger wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:48 pm So basically, if your board targets for instance Italian chefs, your board has to comply to EU law.
If your company does not have a physical/financial presence in the EU it's unenforceable.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
andrewilley

Post by andrewilley »

thecoalman wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:04 pm If your company does not have a physical/financial presence in the EU it's unenforceable.
Sadly, although the board I run is based on a US server, is about an American hotel (at Walt Disney World), and 85% of its traffic is from the US/Canada... I live in the UK, which I assume scuppers the "no EU connections" theory. :(

Andre
--- Admin of www.portorleans.org
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

@ Scanialady and / or other interested people from the EU ...
Well then, -- I can only recommend every European to mirror the forum and keep it in a safe to be able to prove an abuse of rights. Data collections do not only include the simple contents of this discussion. They include reports, such as insults, which in Germany, for example, constitute a criminal offence that is prosecuted upon request. Sometimes there is sheer arbitrariness via Noob managers or even a smile that expresses itself questioningly. Background discussions and/or notes in mcp or elsewhere. Who has access to it when, is not regulated in the temporal scope of a team membership.
Which EXT uses which content, which a European has to prove, if he uses extensions, which do not give any information about it. The search doesn't make sense. Questions with the authors, which are answered to the effect that I have nothing to do with the GDPR / DSGVO and you must regulate this yourself, is no solution approach.
Then we pull up the CC banner (Top: 0 and more) and press another overlay into it: phpBB has no solution, the forum is closed. Everything and much more is possible.

I wonder which European support forums should act for phpBB if they want to and the support of the software developers is missing?
The software phpBB does not deserve that such a behavioral structure is shown and interested parties lose their commitment.
That the GDPR / DSGVO will come, is known since 2016. Apparently we who ask legitimate questions are not welcome? For the trivialization and expressed lack of competence makes no sense indeed.

BTW:
If we did not have in "DE" tas2580, hops and malt would probably be lost at this moment.

================================================
Edit: Correction english language (some mistakes before) ... :oops:
Last edited by bonelifer on Wed May 09, 2018 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed unecessary formatting
Best regards
phpBB3 Designs - My own works: Stylearea Ongray-Designs, Adventinducement-Calendar for phpBB
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

andrewilley wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:34 pm which I assume scuppers the "no EU connections" theory. :(
You would assume correctly.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “phpBB Discussion”