New GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) and phpBB

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Ger
Recognised Extension Developer

Re: New GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) and phpBB

Post by Ger » Tue May 08, 2018 5:41 pm

thecoalman wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:04 pm
Ger wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 1:48 pm
So basically, if your board targets for instance Italian chefs, your board has to comply to EU law.
If your company does not have a physical/financial presence in the EU it's unenforceable.
It's enforceable by blocking access. That's usually how they do it: comply or get the ... out of here.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:
-Available for custom work-

Tomba
Name: Steven De Groote

Post by Tomba » Tue May 08, 2018 9:49 pm

Not sure if asked before here, but because PM's are private data, and when banned, members can't access them anymore, wouldn't that be an issue?

I mean, wouldn't it be good to just disable posting and PMing when users are banned? Or is there something that I now overlook?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue May 08, 2018 10:41 pm

if you ban a user they can not log it at all. so no, they will not be able to post or PM etc. etc.

also, who says that a private message is personal data in this situation? a private message that just says "hi" does not contain any personal data.
if the PM says "hi, my address is 123 anystreet" then that may be considered personal data.

it is all these different possibilities that makes this whole thing just dumb.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Ger
Recognised Extension Developer

Post by Ger » Wed May 09, 2018 7:20 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 10:41 pm
also, who says that a private message is personal data in this situation? a private message that just says "hi" does not contain any personal data.
if the PM says "hi, my address is 123 anystreet" then that may be considered personal data.
Any private (as in: not public) conversation is considered personal. If you have to make the contents of the conversation public to prove it's personal, it can never be considered personal since it's public by default.

Also: even the meta data is considered personal. So if I send you a PM with no contents at all, it's still considered personal. Just the fact that we have a 1:1 conversation is nobody's business but ours.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:
-Available for custom work-

tojag
Name: Gregory

Post by tojag » Wed May 09, 2018 8:38 am

At this point, we become a service provider similar to e-mail. This is subject to specific requirements resulting from GDPR but also from telecommunications law. At least in my country.
As I wrote, I have a reason for submitting for moderation - the post contains personal data. If someone reports it to me or I can see it myself, I will delete it. In particular, this applies to posts from deleted accounts. But I still have no certainty that it is enough to keep posts after deleting the account. Remember, personal data, even if published, is still personal data and the owner still has rights under GDPR.
Sorry my english. I hope You understand what I mean.

rajpb

Post by rajpb » Wed May 09, 2018 8:50 am

pm qualify for secrecy of correspondence, so yes, they are personal data

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Wed May 09, 2018 9:09 am

If an account is anonymised and deleted but the posts are kept, I know that unread PMS are deleted, but presumably ones that have been read (and are therefore in someone else's inbox) are kept.

If the user is deleted and their posts are not kept, are the read PMs also deleted completely? Do they disappear from the recipients' inboxes?
Getting braver all the time. :D

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Wed May 09, 2018 9:50 am

Ger wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:41 pm
It's enforceable by blocking access. That's usually how they do it: comply or get the ... out of here.
Yes they can do that but managing something like that is a monumental task not to mention the frustration of EU users who will be unable to access those resources. It's not really censorship but that is about what it would amount to.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Wed May 09, 2018 10:03 am

Acorn wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:09 am
If the user is deleted and their posts are not kept, are the read PMs also deleted completely? Do they disappear from the recipients' inboxes?
Just ran a test on this, I created a test user and sent a PM to myself while logged in as the test user. I logged in as me, read the message and then deleted the user. The message is not deleted and that IMO is the correct behavior.
subject
This message was sent by a user no longer registered.
by Anonymous » Wed. May. 09, 2018 6:00 am
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Wed May 09, 2018 12:05 pm

Acorn wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:09 am
If the user is deleted and their posts are not kept
That will delete his
  • uploaded avatar
  • authentication link
  • entry in any group
  • watched topics