PHPbb 3.2 doesnot accept paragraphs

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: PHPbb 3.2 doesnot accept paragraphs

Post by Mick »

The indent Custom BBCode still works well as far as I’m aware.

82B276AB-0914-4732-9A10-2E60B192D4C0.jpeg
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
CHItA
Development Team Member
Development Team Member

Post by CHItA »

You could also request or write an extension, that would configure the text formater in a way that it would generate paragraphs. I think it should be fairly easy to do, as the library we use supports that and after that custom styling could be added to indent the first lines of paragraphs.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Ger wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:46 am Or simply do as I wrote earlier and let CSS handle this. Open up your theme's content.css and look for

Code: Select all

.postbody .content {
And add below:

Code: Select all

text-indent: 50px;
That handles it for everyone writing posts on your board.
would that not indent all the text equally instead of only the first line?

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Ger

Post by Ger »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:59 pm would that not indent all the text equally instead of only the first line?
nope
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

CHItA wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:30 pmI think it should be fairly easy to do, as the library we use supports that and after that custom styling could be added to indent the first lines of paragraphs.
Theres no need, the custom BBCode handles it, see this, the OP just wants the first line indented. This is the first time I’ve seen such a request so it seems a bit of an overkill to make a core change or write an extension for this one request.

I think what a lot of people are forgetting is that indenting the first line of paragraphs is antediluvian.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Ger

Post by Ger »

Mick wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:10 pm I think what a lot of people are forgetting is that indenting the first line of paragraphs is antediluvian.
There are many boards out there with far more uglier formatting than this. I've even seen Comic Sans a while ago. No accounting for taste I'd say.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
CHItA
Development Team Member
Development Team Member

Post by CHItA »

Mick wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:10 pm I think what a lot of people are forgetting is that indenting the first line of paragraphs is antediluvian.
Well, it is a one line extension pretty much, and the CSS changes proposed in this topic. IMHO we might use the paragraph markup in posts in some future release and then this will be only a CSS change.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Ger wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:09 pm
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:59 pm would that not indent all the text equally instead of only the first line?
nope
well, it doesn't work at all in my custom style. have no idea why.
it also does not work very well in prosilver.
It indents the first line when you start typing. however, it does not indent the first line of the next paragraph or any subsequent paragraphs.

I can see no reason why that css indents only the first line and not any other lines but I am certainly no expert in css.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Mick wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:10 pm
I think what a lot of people are forgetting is that indenting the first line of paragraphs is antediluvian.
Not really. Many style manuals require it. https://www.grammarly.com/blog/great-in ... on-debate/
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
CHItA
Development Team Member
Development Team Member

Post by CHItA »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:17 pm I can see no reason why that css indents only the first line and not any other lines but I am certainly no expert in css.
Becuase the are not paragraphs in the markup but simply double line breaks. So what this CSS does is indenting the first line of the block, which is the <div> containing your whole post.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”