not possible to use any up-to-date PHP 7 version - missing module?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
Scanialady
Name: Annette

not possible to use any up-to-date PHP 7 version - missing module?

Post by Scanialady »

I moved my sites to another hoster. Before they all run with PHP 7.1.16

Now on the new server I can not use any version of PHP 7 (available 7.0.30-7.1.18-7.2.6)
With all of them I get an error with phpBB-backups:
If I use "save on server" I get error 500 (no server error log available)

If I use "download" I get:

Code: Select all

the website under https://forum.ladyscommunity.de/adm/index.php?i=acp_database&sid=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx0&mode=backup&action=download may be temporarily unavailable or permanently moved to a new web address.
ERR_INVALID_RESPONSE
is there a module of PHP missing? A wrong setting on php.ini? Can someone guide me?
with 5.6.36 all is ok
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: not possible to use any up-to-date PHP 7 version - missing module?

Post by stevemaury »

This would seem to be a host issue; not a phpBB issue.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Scanialady

Post by Scanialady »

I think so, but it seems that my host is not able to find out. I am sure one of you can identify the missing or wrong setting or module that phpBB needs to work.
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.
david63

Post by david63 »

Could it be a server permissions/owner issue?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Are you using Chrome?

What about mod security?
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Scanialady wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:55 pmI moved my sites to another hoster. Before they all run with PHP 7.1.16
Presumably you’re paying for this service but, even if you aren’t, it’s down to them. If they truly don’t know send them to php.net.
Scanialady wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:55 pmis there a module of PHP missing? A wrong setting on php.ini?
Theres no server support available at phpBB.com, everybody and his dog is using PHP 7+ without an issue on a myriad of different servers around the world so why can’t these people set it up properly for you?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Scanialady

Post by Scanialady »

david63 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:14 pm Could it be a server permissions/owner issue?
I asked them first for this. They say no. All is fine.
3Di wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:39 pm Are you using Chrome?

What about mod security?
mod security was the second I asked for. On my cpanel the setting is "off" - but is it really off? They say yes. All is fine.
I am using Chrome, Iron or Firefox, today this, today that. But the server should work with all, no? Which browser do you think would make a difference?
Mick wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:36 am everybody and his dog is using PHP 7+ without an issue on a myriad of different servers around the world so why can’t these people set it up properly for you?
Thats the question... Yes, I pay for it, and it seems to be too much. 50 mails - and no success.
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

Did you check the permissions for the store directory, because database backups are stored there? Should be at least 755, better 777 depending on server setup.
Did your host check the permissions for the server's temp directory assigned to your account?
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
Scanialady

Post by Scanialady »

canonknipser wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:45 pm Did you check the permissions for the store directory, because database backups are stored there? Should be at least 755, better 777 depending on server setup.
Did your host check the permissions for the server's temp directory assigned to your account?
I did and they say, they did... It works all with 5.6.36 - all problems are with 7.x so I don't believe it is a browser problem (error 500 is a server caused error) or a folder chmod on my ftp.

It works with 5.6.36 - shouldnt there not be the same chmod on server side? tmp and so on?
I wonder which php modules have to be active and which php.ini settings to get phpbb to work normal with PHP 7.x Some of them I can set.
Can someone list it for me?
david63

Post by david63 »

Scanialady wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:56 pm Yes, I pay for it
Then tell them to sort it out - it is a server configuration problem.

If they cannot fix it then tell them what they do with their hosting and go somewhere else. If they cannot get something like this right then you are only going to get more problems with them over time.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Scanialady

Post by Scanialady »

I am sure you are right, but that does not help in any way just now ;-)
I don't get my money back. And they say the server is good and phpBB is the problem - so I need more knowledge to point them to the right direction. May be it is something I can set by myself or I can ask them to switch it on or off. If I know what it is. It is not depending on my board or on extensions, the same problem is with a fresh new installed phpBB without any extension or forum or posting.
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

How can someone point you to a right direction, if even you don't have full access to ini file/s? To find out something that is related to a php 7+ configuration problem (server issue/wrong configuration), you can do this manually on a local server & get lucky. You may try uncle google.. but even if you get an answer it may be an assumption and not a right answer.
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

as you say, it is not anything to do with phpbb. It is a server setup problem and if they can't figure it out you need to change hosting.

we can't help you point them in the right direction because we are not server setup/php setup experts, they are supposed to know how to setup their server programs properly.
if you really think you need to tell them how to do thier job then you should probably go to a site that supports server software. or maybe go to php.net to see if they can help you help your host support.

have you contacted level two support at your host? the first level only know how to open the manual and tell you it is not their problem.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Ger

Post by Ger »

Scanialady wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:55 pm no server error log available
That's odd. Any PHP error would be in the PHP error log, any apache or nginx error should be in the main server error log. Since a 500 error states it's a server error you should have either of those. Maybe not for you in you hosting control panel but your host should definitely have it.

Also: have you tried a simple default phpBB setup for checking? Try to download a vanilla 3.2 package and install. Does that even work?
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
Scanialady

Post by Scanialady »

Ger wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:58 amThat's odd. Any PHP error would be in the PHP error log, any apache or nginx error should be in the main server error log. Since a 500 error states it's a server error you should have either of those. Maybe not for you in you hosting control panel but your host should definitely have it.
Yes. But I can not see it.
Ger wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:58 amAlso: have you tried a simple default phpBB setup for checking? Try to download a vanilla 3.2 package and install. Does that even work?
As I said some postings before: I tried and no.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”