not possible to use any up-to-date PHP 7 version - missing module?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Ger

Re: not possible to use any up-to-date PHP 7 version - missing module?

Post by Ger »

Scanialady wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:00 am
Ger wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:58 amThat's odd. Any PHP error would be in the PHP error log, any apache or nginx error should be in the main server error log. Since a 500 error states it's a server error you should have either of those. Maybe not for you in you hosting control panel but your host should definitely have it.
Yes. But I can not see it.
And they are unwilling to help you look into it (either send you the log or look into it and report back to you)?

Well, that's an issue then, since it holds essential information about your problem. Without it, you'll be walking in the dark and it's just guessing about the problem.

Essentially you have 2 options: First one is try to keep figuring out what the problem is and praying that once you've found it, your host will solve it. It should be possible probably, but you still don't know if you're host will do anything about it and what about the next time there is an issue?

Personally I'd pack my bags and go. Keep your board on 5.6 for the mean time, look for a decent host and move ASAP.
Last edited by Ger on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Ger wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:50 ama descent host
Better find a decent one.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Scanialady
Name: Annette

Post by Scanialady »

moving will be the better alternative, yes. But it is not easy to find a good host which is not too expensive. I thought I had found one...

Please have a look at this settings. May be there is something wrong.
Attachments
Einstellunge php 5.6.36.png
Einstellunge php 7.1.18.png
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.
Ger

Post by Ger »

A quick glance tells me that there are 2 differences (you could have spotted those yourself): recode and zendguard_loader.

AFAIK, the recode extension is used for UTF8 conversions. Not sure if that's still the case though but it might be the thing you're looking for. In any case, this is still a wild guess without knowing the error that is thrown.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
tbehrens

Post by tbehrens »

Define “not too expensive”? OVH is 3.34/month. Linode and DigitalOcean are both 5/month. There are transfer limits but I think they’re in the TB range. There are storage limits, 20-30 GB depending on which of these you choose. Unless your forum is massive, any of these options will work fine. I’d stay away from AWS LightSail, their 512MB memory limit at the 5/month tier becomes a problem once you enable https with Lets Encrypt.
Scanialady
Name: Annette

Post by Scanialady »

thank you. I need a german server, and I found one I will try. A test account shows no problems. Think I will move next month.
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”