Online user list - My name is in italics but it should not be

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
Crusoeman

Online user list - My name is in italics but it should not be

Post by Crusoeman »

I belong to a phpBB based forum that I am not involved with in any way. I am simply 'Joe Bloggs', a registered user. I am not and never have been involved with the administration and/or moderation of that forum. However when I am logged on and look at the list of other users currently online my name is in italics, none of the other registered users are. It is not the end of the world and I can live with it but does anyone know why? I've even asked a moderator and he is baffled by it too.

I should add that elsewhere on the forum my name appears as it should do. i.e. not in italics. Incidentally I have been told that they only have 3 groups set up, Administrators, Moderators and Registered Users.

Graham
Last edited by Crusoeman on Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
david63

Re: Online user list - My name is in italics but it should not be

Post by david63 »

I think if you see your name in italics in the Online list it indicates that you are a "hidden user"
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Yep.

User control panel
Board preferences
Hide my online status:
You have it on yes.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Crusoeman

Post by Crusoeman »

Many thanks David and Kevin. Yes, that's it. I must have changed the setting yonks ago and had forgotten.

Just out of interest is a registered user informed anywhere on the forum, whichever one it is, that in changing their status to 'hidden' their username will appear in italics? Don't say to me 'No,there isn't but everyone knows that'! I obviously didn't, or had forgotten!

Graham
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

I'm not sure any of the docs specifically mention the italics. The online stats show the number of hidden users so the admins should be able to see that the number tallies with the italics usernames.
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Crusoeman

Post by Crusoeman »

Kevin it makes sense that the administrators and moderators can see who is hidden and who isn't but the registered user might still end up being curious as I was. Perhaps the answer is for the Board Preferences notes to be amended to explain.

Currently this what we see:
Online status setting - Screen grab.JPG

Perhaps an expression such as 'When hidden your online status will be in italics.' could be added?

Graham
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Feel free to post it in the bug tracker as a language change suggestion.

http://tracker.phpbb.com/
Ger

Post by Ger »

My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
david63

Post by david63 »

Crusoeman wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:21 am Perhaps an expression such as 'When hidden your online status will be in italics.' could be added?
But if you had forgotten that you had set this would you remember what it said anyway, or would you go there to look for the reason?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Crusoeman

Post by Crusoeman »

David, that's a good point. It was a relatively simple question as was the answer but what happened to me that prompted the question in the first place is borne out by what you say. Would I have thought of going to the UCP and working through the various preferences before I found the answer. Possibly but unlikely.

You could argue that an explanation appears alongside Registered Users at the bottom of the Board Index would help but it wouldn't as the rest of the registered users couldn't see the hidden name or names anyway! At the moment I can't think of an answer.

Graham

Return to “phpBB Discussion”