Admin policies on image uploads to local host

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
DV1

Admin policies on image uploads to local host

Post by DV1 »

Reading some of the past topics on image uploads to your local host, i.e., 'files' folder, it seems that in time that folder could get extensive and big in terms of MB's. I'd like to know what the policy regarding that is for forum admins here. Do you allow upload to your host or do you only allow links to the images elsewhere?
Last edited by HiFiKabin on Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: Admin policies on image uploads to local host

Post by HiFiKabin »

I have both on my forum. I encourage 'attachments' as I have control over them and they will never be deleted (unless I delete them of course)

Many 'off site' hosting images will be taken down after a specific time span or (like imageshack) be unavailable unless each member decided to pay for the privilege of having them show on any forum.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

it will probably take many thousands of attachments before it becomes a problem of disk space on your hosting account.

if and when it does, you can make whatever changes are necessary . there used to be an extension that will allow you to split up the attachments into different folders but I don't know where it is right now.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
DV1

Post by DV1 »

Thank you both. :)

So, in that approach then a good max-size width for images would be 700-800px? Those seem about the width sizes that fit in the posting area.

And how does one calculate height for max-size? For example, I could have a 800x600 max in the ACP but then I may have a 'long' image that's around 800x1000 height. Or is the height automatic and adjusts itself to whatever the width would accord?

Thanks

Return to “phpBB Discussion”