countermeasures

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
millipede

countermeasures

Post by millipede » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:01 pm

Over the years, I'm sure this has been discussed at great length. But things change over time, or at least I image(d) they would.

Last time I updated the forum software I did it differently than I normally do.
Previously I had an image in the header with three letters in it having to do with the site. And had a question for people signing up to type in those letters. Being an image, bots weren't going to be able to fill that in so easily.

Two problems with that. One, for people like a close friend of mine... well, he's blind. someone like him can't even see the image to get that info.
Minor problem when it's someone you know as I could simply create the account for him.
but after the last time I updated, it changed everything and the image was gone. Pretty simple to get that back up... but, I wasn't sure that's what I wanted to do.

So, I decided to look at the other options... figured I'd try the recaptcha. I figured by now it has to be more secure than it used to be.
Saw that I had to go sign up which wasn't a huge deal. On sign-up I saw I could choose v2 or the invisible recaptcha. I chose invisible... only to go back to the forum and have it not work that way. What I found was the thing where you'd have to select all the blocks that had street signs in them, etc...
I found that annoying... though for simply signing up or posting in the guest section... it's a minor annoyance.

So with all that said... two questions...
1. Currently, for those using spambot countermeasures, what is the preferred method of preventing spambots on forums?
2. Will phpbb update the recaptcha options at some point so that it can be the simple checkbox or even the invisible recaptcha?

I'm guessing I could manually go in and configure all this if I chose to. Having some easy options in the dropdown under the countermeasures is handy though.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: countermeasures

Post by KevC » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:57 pm

Q&A is the way to go.
It allows you to write a question, preferably one specific about the site that asks something about your logo, contents, a word somewhere and set a very specific answer. What you do not want to ask is anything you cold put in to a search engine and get the answer straight away. The question needs a bit of logic to solve.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

eeji
Jr. Style Validator

Re: countermeasures

Post by eeji » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:31 pm

Definitely Q&A. I've used it since its introduction in v3.0.6 in 2009 if I recall correctly and have only ever had to change the question twice.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”