Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Crusoeman

Post by Crusoeman »

Having done a forum search and found some topics on New Posts going back several years, the following might seem a bit of an old chestnut but can I ask what is the current phpBB default on New Posts? A forum that I use updated its phpBB software earlier this year. I can’t see that they would have changed from the default but then I can’t quite work out what should happen when I go to Quick Links on that forum?

If I logon, go to Quick Links and then select New Posts I might see 3 or 4 posts that have gone up on the forum today. That’s fine and no problem with that. I might then decide that for the moment I don’t wish to look at those posts but will do so later. In other words I have done no more than look at a list of what has been posted earlier today. I haven’t clicked on any of the posts shown. I then Logout. When I log back in, and this might only be 5 minutes later, and go to New Posts nothing is shown. Is that correct and is an indication of the phpBB default? In other words it’s saying that we have shown you the list of new posts, you’ve decided that you don’t want to look at any of them and as a result we have cleared the list down when you next visit.

Please can someone give me a bit of guidance as to whether the default ‘New Posts’ on the forum I belong to is working correctly or not, based on what I am experiencing? Many thanks.

Tim
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: New Posts under Quick Links. What is the default setting?

Post by Brf »

"New" posts are those made since your last login.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

in your scenario you want the link right below the "new posts" link. the one that says "unread posts".

they will show as unread until you actually open them regardless of having looked at the list or not.
by the way, as far as I remember, this has always been the default and the way that phpbb works, even before there was a quick links drop down.

now posts are new since your last visit.
unread are ones you have not opened yet.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

And once again I present you all the manual.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Crusoeman

Post by Crusoeman »

Thanks Brf, Robert and AmigoJack for your comments. As Robert says Unread Posts rather than New Posts is for me probably a better option.

With regards any forum I guess we are all different in what we want to do once logged on. Some will not bother with Quicks Links but head straight for the Board Index and a forum that is of particular interest to them. However I bet the great majority of us, particular if a forum regular of whatever forum, will want to see what has recently been posted. Would it be fair to say that Quick Links and then either New Posts or Unread Posts is the obvious choice? By the way I’m not talking here of developers, administrators or moderators who may well take different routes having logged on. I’m simply talking of the average user, Mr or Mrs Joe Public. What would he/she normally want to do having logged on?

I know that the argument is, and it’s a fair one, that you can’t put every single available option up on the taskbar as that would be impossible, but is there not a logic that dictates that along with Quick Links and FAQ there should be a default option that takes the user to the latest posts? By the way I’m not talking of the nitty-gritty of how and by what name, simply the principle. I’m also well aware that the taskbar can be customised to put up whatever option is required. Overall I’m asking whether there is an argument for putting a default option on the taskbar that would take the user straight to the latest posts?

Using the same argument as above I am curious as to why there is a visible default Login button but not a visible Logout button? (As we all know the logout option is within the username dropdown box.) It’s fair to say that logging in and logging out are the two tasks that everyone has to do every time they go to a forum, is it not? Once again I am only talking of the default set-up as I know that a visible Logout button can be custom added to the taskbar.

Maybe others see it differently so it would be interesting to find out what the general consensus of opinion is?

Tim
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

I'm don't like links hidden in dropdown menus either - as you remember earlier phpBB versions also had the "log out" link in sight. I guess it's a vogue thing, as other websites do the same thing.

In general I expect every user to have a minimum level of understanding/knowledge about what he deals with, and neither the "I have to grasp everything within 5 seconds", nor the "I dunno LOL" attitude. For me it's frustrating to be treated as if I forgot everything again with each visit, similar to "cookie notices" - I wonder if in the future websites/BBSs will offer two different "views": one regular and a detailled/advanced one, as that should fit most without forcing one group to behave the same as the other.

And I have no clue why people don't simply bookmark their favorite spots of a website - are bookmarks a feature that has become forgotten by everyone? The "your posts" URI is what I bookmark for phpBBoards (and for XenForo I tend to bookmark http://example.void/account/alerts).
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28

Return to “phpBB Discussion”