Updating phpBB via the Automatic Update option

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
david63

Re: The Question Has to Be Asked ...

Post by david63 »

Ger wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:26 am I guess the best approach would be to actually measure the amount of downloads for the automatic update package against the full package.
That may not give an accurate result as some (many?) download the auto package, find they have problems and then download the full package.

The real answer is to do the update via a "one click" in the ACP which I know has been talked about and, if I am not mistaken, should be in 3.3 (whenever that may be)
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Scanialady
Name: Annette

Post by Scanialady »

the main problem is the misleading of people - may be it would help to rename the automatic update. To "experts update"?
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.
Ger

Post by Ger »

Scanialady wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:47 am may be it would help to rename the automatic update. To "experts update"?
That's because it's a blast from the past. It was introduced in 3.0 and was a huge improvement compared to the "May the force be with you"-updates in the 2.0 era. It automated the detecting and merging of changes so the naming was accurate.
With extensions being introduced in 3.1 the need for such a tool drastically declined and it actually became a very suboptimal way to update. In 3.2 it's even more of a headache instead of a relief.

- edit -
So perhaps the package should be renamed to "Headache update package" :mrgreen:
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
Scanialady
Name: Annette

Post by Scanialady »

I know. I ever used it in the past. But now I avoid...
New users can not understand, why it is named "automatic update" and they should not use it :D Rename it.
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I think that's half the problem, you need to be an expert to use it like you did with the FTP method that I don't think many people actually ever got to work.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Starting with 3.2.4, it will not be the recommended method.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Makotosun
Name: Gary

Re: Updating phpBB via the Automatic Update option

Post by Makotosun »

I am a real amateur using PHPbb but have been using Joomla for many years. What would really be nice is if PHPbb could have a button on the admin panel like Joomla has used for a long time labeled "update". Once the button is clicked, the site updates. If you have a backup extension installed, it can be keyed to run before the update does when the button is clicked.

I am not a programmer, have no idea how much work that would be, but boy would it make the software more user friendly!

Thanks.
david63

Re: Updating phpBB via the Automatic Update option

Post by david63 »

Makotosun wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:36 am What would really be nice is if PHPbb could have a button on the admin panel like Joomla has used for a long time labeled "update".
That is already planned for a future version (possibly 4.0)
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here

Return to “phpBB Discussion”