Federated servers

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
originalsimba

Federated servers

Post by originalsimba »

There hasn't been a significant improvement in social forums in years. Meanwhile Reddit has effectively destroyed the community at large, with the help of thousands of tiny servers which have divided topic-communities. The result is that people aren't really meeting or talking to the best of our capabilities.

I think we're in the middle of the evolution of forums. A big trend in open source software lately has been "Federated" services, allowing people to configure private servers which can communicate together.

There's a precedent for this. Back in the 1980s and 1990s we had something called "FIDOnet", which allowed single systems to share their posts globally.

I'm wondering if there are any plans currently to add some kind of Federation feature to phpBB, and if not, then I want to suggest that feature be added. This would allow people to have a single account on their favorite forum, while participating in topic-discussions across thousands of servers globally.
I've Been Banned!

Re: Federated servers

Post by 2600 »

Just a quick thought on that idea seems to reek with hacking potential beyond belief.

There is this here: ideas
Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
The nature of my chosen username
:ugeek:
enter a valid email

Post by enter a valid email »

What is a Reddit? :shock:
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

I don't get what you want:
  • BBSes that sync with other BBSes, so they all have the same content on different installations? This is not practical because of the delay the syncing implies and the different forks it could bring, where merging conflicts will happen.
  • Multiple websites being displayed as one? Well, if the internet browser is unable to display them side by side (hello MDI which nowadays almost nobody supports anymore) then it could be done thru frames.
  • Have you even considered using web feeds? You could subscribe to multiple ones from different boards and your reader could still display all of them in one stream.

enter a valid email wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:17 amWhat is a Reddit?
This happens when both people meet:
  • those using the internet without linking anything, and
  • those being unable to recognize names and searching them by issuing a search engine. Or Wikipedia.
Both things are really no black magic: use links when writing texts, and first search for yourself before asking.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28

Return to “phpBB Discussion”