Using phpBB with some type of web builder... possible?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Clutch Cargo

Using phpBB with some type of web builder... possible?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Years ago I had a little website where I created a front page and than had a link to a little private phpBB forum. Worked great for my needs. Now I am trying to duplicate this. I see nowadays all these webhosting sites with web builders. I thought "perfect" I will use a web builder to link over to a new phpBB. But all the "hosters" are saying not possible due to the template limitation of the web builders.

So do I have any options to achieve my goal without having to create a website from scratch. Any "templates" out there that would work with phpBB as the forum is the number 1 priority. Any recommendations as to where to start looking would be great.

Thanks

Clutch
Clutch Cargo

Re: Using phpBB with some type of web builder... possible?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Admin... sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum (wasn't sure). If it is more appropriate elsewhere then please move.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

all those hosters don't know what they are talking about.

you can create a link to your board from any of the website templates available or one that you create or whatever.

all you have to do is put in a link in your web template like this:

Code: Select all

<a href="https://yourdomain.com/yourforum"> Forum Link</a>
using your actual link of course.

I would suggest you look through the phpbb styles available here: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... r/demo/3.2

find one you like.

then, look at the web templates available to you and pick one that is similar in colors etc. to the style.

you can of course, do it the other way. pick a template you like then pick a phpbb style similar and simply add your web template header and footer to the style's overall_header.html and overall_footer.html files.

when editing the phpbb style files only use a text editor, not a wysiwyg type web page editor.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Clutch Cargo

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Thx for the reply Robert.

To what you said that's what I thought... just add a link. But HostGator and GoDaddy both said not possible. Granted I am a nube trying to remember what they said but something to the effect that "they are different platforms", and "there is no "root" to work from" and "there would be no cPanel".

But do I need a cPanel to install phpBB?... I would think not.
Lumpy Burgertushie

hostgator and godaddy both have a cpanel. they don't call it that but that is what it is.
any hosting account you buy will have a hosting control panel where you create your website, create email accounts, create and work with databases, etc. etc. etc.

one of the things that most hosts offer now days is some type of website builder software.

when you finish building your website you will have a set of html, css, and possibly php files that make up all the pages of your website.

you will then be able to use your ftp program on your computer to access those files on your hosting account/server.

you can download the phpbb zip file from here, unzip it on your computer, then use your ftp program to upload the included files to your hosting account.

by the way, you absolutely will have a root directory for your account, not sure why they told you that you wouldn't.

then, after you have created a new database using your hosting account control panel, you can install phpbb by following the instructions found in the download or by following them here at phpbb.com

you will certainly be able to open the html files of your website and add whatever links you wish.

the next time you contact anyone at hostgator or godaddy you should ask for someone that knows what the hell they are talking about.

actually, you shouldn't contact either one of them at all. you should find a decent host that knows what they are doing.

hostgator used to be a good host but they sold out to some huge company that doesn't care about customer support .
godaddy is not and never was a decent host. they decided that they should setup all their servers, customer accounts etc. completely differently than all the rest of the industry and then hired idiots to man the support lines etc.

sorry for my rant.

go here: https://webhostingtalk.com and find a good webhost.

luck,
robert

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Clutch Cargo

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to those who responded here. I went to WebHostingTalk, did some searching and found what appears to be a real good webhost... NameCheap. Their chat support spent over an hour (literally), answering all my questions even though I am just little individual user with a small little hobby website. GoDaddy and HostGator was confusing on what they were offering and there support seemed more interested in getting me to sign up rather than answering questions. I got a nice little web builder program that will work with phpBB, free SSL all for price cheaper that Daddy and Gator. Thx again! :D
Lumpy Burgertushie

good work!!

robert

Return to “phpBB Discussion”